Which Oil Filter Would You Rather Use?(TRD/OEM) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mobil 1 filters are full synthetic. They just got rid of the metal casing. So they look like the factory one now with syn. There are dozens of pages on oils. Factory is great and I use it in winter and Redline in summer.

I usually do Mobil 1 syn oil and change my filters every 6k and change the oil every 12k . I’m doing extended service . I know Toyota has a extended service program for synthetic oil . I do like and have run the TRD filter just for the overkill factor , If I’m going threw removing my skid pan crap I just do the better filter .
Any one know if the Land cruisers 5.7 come filled with synthetic oil from the factory ?

I usually do Mobil 1 syn oil and change my filters every 6k and change the oil every 12k . I’m doing extended service . I know Toyota has a extended service program for synthetic oil . I do like and have run the TRD filter just for the overkill factor , If I’m going threw removing my skid pan crap I just do the better filter .
Any one know if the Land cruisers 5.7 come filled with synthetic oil from the factory ?
Yes. TGMO 0W20

From 08-11 they were recommending 5w-20. in 2013 they went to 0w-20 for gas mileage purposes to meet CAFE standards. In the book it says 0w-20 for increased mileage and better starting in cold weather. I don't know of any differences between the 3UR-FEs in the 08-11s and the 13+.

I'm looking in my FSM docs at the US manual for my 2008 (appears to be same version here: https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM60C95U/pdf/OM60C95U.pdf ) and it lists 0w-20 as preferred "for fuel economy and starting in cold weather". Presumably then 5w20 would be better for starting in warm weather? I understand they listed different weights for the same engine in other countries, say what you will about why that might be. This certainly seems to lend truth to the idea that they switched to recommending only 0w20 due to CAFE standards. Then the question becomes, is there really any advantage of using 5w20 over 0w20 in your specific climate? I live in the PNW, which is pretty moderate most of the year (doesn't usually go below freezing for very long and rarely above 90 in the summer), so I feel like 0w20 is a good all around choice. If you live further south or some place extremely warm most of the year, 5w20 seems like the way to go per Toyota's own recommendation in 2008.

lc200 oil type.jpg

Last edited:
Just to keep things real here, there is no POSSIBLE way that engine oil could cause a change in boost pressure. Not. Possible.
Just to keep things real .. I own 5 turbo cars … if the bearings in the turbos have less resistance u will get a slight increase in boost.. at least on precision turbos .. wtf would I make it up ? I’ve been doing research looks like amsoil signature series is the top choice on oil .. I’ve read their filters are awsome too

I would strongly recommend 0W-20 full synthetic - just like it says in the manual:

LC200OilChangeSpecs_06FEB16_zps5lfjr7gt.jpg

As far as brand goes, the TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) you can buy at your dealer is probably the best available. Not as cheap as Mobil 1, but worth it, IMHO.

Note that the Manual states that 5W-20 is for one-time emergency use only when 0W-20 is not available, and must be replaced with 0W-20 no later than the next oil change.

HTH
ADA62059-A332-4915-81B5-0A2C15CC968E.jpg
910781F5-5952-43AA-88D8-AC6219B4C893.jpg

Not sure what you are trying to convey here, but Toyota TGMO is not the same as Mobil 1.

As best I can determine, Exxon-Mobil is a toll manufacturer for Toyota. This means they manufacture the oil here in the U.S. and add Toyota's proprietary additive package to bring it up to Toyota's specs.

Check the label on the TGMO bottle:

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

Particularly this part:

TGMOLabelDetail_13DEC13_zps6d5aec22.jpg

My understanding is the oil is the "domestic" component while the additive package is the "imported" component.

However, since neither of us works for Toyota or Exxon-Mobil, it is just conjecture. Both Mobil 1 and TGMO are excellent oils - I just prefer to go with TGMO. Your money, your vehicle, your choice.

HTH

Not sure what you are trying to convey here, but Toyota TGMO is not the same as Mobil 1.

As best I can determine, Exxon-Mobil is a toll manufacturer for Toyota. This means they manufacture the oil here in the U.S. and add Toyota's proprietary additive package to bring it up to Toyota's specs.

Check the label on the TGMO bottle:

View attachment 2767139

Particularly this part:

View attachment 2767140

My understanding is the oil is the "domestic" component while the additive package is the "imported" component.

However, since neither of us works for Toyota or Exxon-Mobil, it is just conjecture. Both Mobil 1 and TGMO are excellent oils - I just prefer to go with TGMO. Your money, your vehicle, your choice.

HTH
5W30 like recommended ROTW for me.

The filter housing on a LandCriuser has a perforated support tube to prevent the OEM filter from collapsing.
If you use a TRD filter which has a perforated support tube built in, should you remove the perforated tube from the Landcruiser housing? Seems to have both in place with the TRD filter only complicates the oil passage ways.

devo

1629808038990.jpeg

The filter housing on a LandCriuser has a perforated support tube to prevent the OEM filter from collapsing.
If you use a TRD filter which has a perforated support tube built in, should you remove the perforated tube from the Landcruiser housing? Seems to have both in place with the TRD filter only complicates the oil passage ways.

devo

View attachment 2767969
Seems like Toyota would tell you this if it was a concern 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you use a TRD filter which has a perforated support tube built in, should you remove the perforated tube from the Landcruiser housing?

No.

Seems like Toyota would tell you this if it was a concern 🤷🏼‍♂️

The TRD filter isn't intended for the Land Cruiser, AFAIK it's intended for the Tundra TRD, which uses the same engine, but presumably doesn't have this additional piece on it's OEM TRD filter.

The TRD filter isn't intended for the Land Cruiser, AFAIK it's intended for the Tundra TRD, which uses the same engine, but presumably doesn't have this additional piece on it's OEM TRD filter.
Tundra Oil Filter Cap 1565038020
1629815141960.png

2013 landcruiser filter housing part number: 15670-38011
2013 3UR-FE Tundra (with oil cooler) filter housing part number: 15670-38011

2013 landcruiser filter cap part number: 15650-38010
2013 3UR-FE Tundra filter cap part number: 15650-38010

Both engines have the exact same filter support tube in their cap. The tube in the filter cap is smaller than the one inside the TRD filter, so oil will go both around it and through the holes to the center.

There is no debate that this TRD oil filter is compatible with a US-market 5.7L landcruiser engine.

Also what gave you the idea that the filter was only intended for TRD Tundras?

I’m going to try the amsoil filter .. that guy has a lot of good info on Toyota’s… Ive been running trd since I got my lx .. had zero problems with trd filter . I just want to see how the amsoil filter compares

I’m going to try the amsoil filter .. that guy has a lot of good info on Toyota’s… Ive been running trd since I got my lx .. had zero problems with trd filter . I just want to see how the amsoil filter compares
Please report back. I'm using Amsoil signature, I'd love to see how the filter does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom