Which Oil Filter Would You Rather Use?(TRD/OEM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gaijin

GOLD Star
Threads
Here are the two oil filters I have used to date in my 2013 LC200:

LC200OilFilterComparo7_19MA_zps88447c56.jpg

The one on the left is the Toyota OEM filter and the one on the right is the Toyota TRD Performance oil filter.

Both come with fresh O-Rings for the drain plug and the filter housing, but they appear to be made of different materials. The TRD O-Rings are made of Viton, but I do not know what the OEM O-Rings are made of. They both also come with a drain plug insert which can be attached to a hose to drain the filter housing before removal:

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

The OEM filter is made in Thailand:

LC200OilFilterComparo4_19MA_zps8c51e3f5.jpg

The TRD Performance filter is made in the USA:

LC200OilFilterComparo5_19MA_zps69950fc4.jpg

Dimensionally, both are very similar:

LC200OilFilterComparo6_19MA_zps9ed7fff6.jpg

The OEM filter weighs 1.6 ounces and the TRD filter weighs 4.7 ounces.

The OEM filter has a hard plastic molded into the ends:

LC200OilFilterComparo3_19MA_zps64027a90.jpg

The TRD filter has a zinc-plated steel cap on each end with an silicone gasket seal:

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

This is a 1:1 photo of the OEM filter media:

LC200OilFilterComparo8_19MA_zps18973887.jpg

This is a 1:1 photo (exactly same scale as the photo above) of the TRD filter media:

LC200OilFilterComparo9_19MA_zps1ae2b816.jpg

The OEM filter has no reinforcement on the inside of the filter:

LC200OilFilterComparo3_19MA_zps64027a90.jpg

The TRD filter has a perforated metal liner on the inside of the filter which according to the TRD Parts Catalog, "TRD Oil Filters feature a steel inner core that is used to increase the collapse strength of the filter, making them much stronger than standard filters."

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

One can purchase the OEM filter from their local Toyota store for about US$5.

One can purchase the TRD filter online for about US$10 or from their local Toyota store for a little more.

How well do they filter? At this point, I have no data. I'm sure both do the job satisfactorily, but I have no comparison data.

Here is the promo spiel from TRD for their filter:

TRD High Performance Oil Filter CARTRIDGE (PTR43-00081)

TRD High Performance Oil Filters incorporate state-of-the-art design and materials offering superior protection. The filter uses 3 plies of 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration meida that 98% efficient at 20 microns - that's smaller than pollen.

Notes: Kit includes two replacement Viton housing gaskets and drain adapter.

This part fits the following vehicles:
Toyota: LandCruiser 2008 - 2013
Toyota: Sequoia 2008 - 2013
Toyota: Tundra 2007 - 2013

For me, the more robust construction of the TRD filter and the O-Rings that seal the ends into the filter housing are enough to convince me that it is a better choice for the extra US$5 cost.

I don't have the capability to test filter effectiveness, but if anyone else does, or knows where that info is available, please chime in.

Please ignore the dirt on the outside of the TRD filter - it's simply an artifact of my dirty fingers :whoops:

Hope you find the info helpful.

:cheers:

Edit to add pic:

LC200TRDOilFilterCutaway_20MAY13_zps0a7e49d8.jpg

1- Zinc-plated steel end caps offer increased structura integrity
2- Red silicone gaskets provide excellent seal characteristics at extreme temperatures

Last edited:
Thx for the info, I wasn't aware of the TRD option.

The TRD filter seems a bit like an overengineered product, sorry to say! :p

The ordinary Toyota filter is the same sort of construction as a BMW oil filter element. Works just fine, and maybe it's not going to filter down to 20 microns but then again, I change my oil every 5,000 kms, so not a big deal.

Awesome photos, by the way!

Nice post. Do we know anything about the filter media used in the OEM filter? Sounds like the TRD filter is 100% synthetic which is what Im looking for. From what Ive gathered, running good, full synthetic oil through a filter with 100% synthetic media equals long oil change intervals.

This is a 1:1 photo of the OEM filter media:

LC200OilFilterComparo8_19MA_zps18973887.jpg

This is a 1:1 photo (exactly same scale as the photo above) of the TRD filter media:

LC200OilFilterComparo9_19MA_zps1ae2b816.jpg

TRD High Performance Oil Filters incorporate state-of-the-art design and materials offering superior protection. The filter uses 3 plies of 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration meida that 98% efficient at 20 microns - that's smaller than pollen.

Notes: Kit includes two replacement Viton housing gaskets and drain adapter.

I use the TRD filter and AMSOIL 15K filters interchangeably as they both appear to be equally over engineered. I change them well before their limits are reached anyway (like 5K intervals). If I had to I'd go 10K but still would not run them 15K or 20K even if they'd probably be fine.

I think Toyota is better engineered and that's why I buy them. I am happy with what Mr T puts on the truck new as being quality.......that and I have 10 OEM filters on the shelf in my shop☺ Those TRD filters do look very nice though! I can see where they would eliminate any issue that might be encountered with the OEM filter.

I've never seen the trd filter in person but I feel it's mostly marketing hype. It might filter out more dirt which would make it better than the oem but what i don't get is this: "TRD Oil Filters feature a steel inner core that is used to increase the collapse strength of the filter, making them much stronger than standard filters."

I know the oem filter would collapse if i sat on it but is it even possible for it to collapse inside the filter housing? I've ran my cruiser hard and during the worst of the summer the oil (Lexus full synth) was really at its limit by the 10k km change and the filter still felt good, not squishy or soft etc. I just find marketing the strength stupid as a filter's sole purpose is filtration. If they sold these off the shelf at the local toyota parts stores I'd most likely get it even if it's just for how cool they look.

:hmm: maybe i should paint a venza oil filter housing red and send it to trd:

GET YOUR RED HD TRD OIL FILTER HOUSING NOW! NO PANSY PLASTIC HERE, JUST ALL METAL...

One of the major reasons for the filter type is so it can be easily recycled.... they can be burned for energy recovery.... where as filter with metal requires quite a bit more work to recycle... the steel needs to separated, washed with solvents, etc. The OEM filter media shows good results in UOA tests.

After reading that TRD info again, sounds like the media is a synthetic blend. The Amsoil filter is 100% synthetic, according to their site. Anyone know of any other filters that are 100% synthetic?

After reading that TRD info again, sounds like the media is a synthetic blend. The Amsoil filter is 100% synthetic, according to their site. Anyone know of any other filters that are 100% synthetic?

How do you get "synthetic blend" out of:

Sure sounds like 100% synthetic to me :confused:

One of the major reasons for the filter type is so it can be easily recycled.... they can be burned for energy recovery.... where as filter with metal requires quite a bit more work to recycle... the steel needs to separated, washed with solvents, etc. The OEM filter media shows good results in UOA tests.
But this one goes to 11.

As it is I have to restrain myself from installing one of these for each cylinder...
Universal Dual remote Bypass System

Last edited:
How do you get "synthetic blend" out of:

Sure sounds like 100% synthetic to me :confused:

Yeah you're probably right. I guess its a blend of synthetic material. There are synthetic polyesters and also polyesters made of natural fibers so that threw me off.

Yeah you're probably right. I guess its a blend of synthetic material. There are synthetic polyesters and also polyesters made of natural fibers so that threw me off.

Afraid not. Polyester is 100% synthetic:

Polyester
Background
Polyester is a synthetic fiber derived from coal, air, water, and petroleum. Developed in a 20th-century laboratory, polyester fibers are formed from a chemical reaction between an acid and alcohol. In this reaction, two or more molecules combine to make a large molecule whose structure repeats throughout its length. Polyester fibers can form very iong molecules that are very stable and strong.

HTH

Source: polyester Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about polyester

Who knows. Also from the inter-webs......

"Polyester is a category of polymers that contain the esterfunctional group in their main chain. As a specific material, it most commonly refers to a type called polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Polyesters include naturally occurring chemicals, such as in the cutin of plant cuticles, as well as synthetics through step-growth polymerization such as polybutyrate. Natural polyesters and a few synthetic ones are biodegradable, but most synthetic polyesters are not. This material is used very widely in clothing." - Wikipedia link

So for the 5.7L 3UR-FE, we've got:

OEM Toyota 04152-YZZA4- probably paper/cellulose filter media
TRD PTR43-00081- 100% synthetic
Amsoil EA15K04- 100% synthetic
K&N PS 7018- "Premium filtration media"?

Good evening!

What filter do you guys recommend for my 2013 LX570? I'm torn between the TRD and the factory Toyota mentioned above. I'm also looking for an oil recommendation.

I'm a rookie 200 series owner. Daily driver is a 2014 F-250, & the LX is my wife's. I will be servicing at home myself.

Thank you!

The factory is fine, but the TRD most likely filters better, though there's no proof.

Good evening!

What filter do you guys recommend for my 2013 LX570? I'm torn between the TRD and the factory Toyota mentioned above. I'm also looking for an oil recommendation.

I'm a rookie 200 series owner. Daily driver is a 2014 F-250, & the LX is my wife's. I will be servicing at home myself.

Thank you!

Hey Farmboy, considering how cheap the TRD filter is, Id just run it. Im a big fan of Mobil 1 oils because they are very good and easily available at Walmart. Im running 5w-20, if I was up north maybe Id run 0w-20.

Thanks for the info! I'm used to 5w-40 for my truck, so 5w-20 sounds light. Is that what you guys recommend?

I'll order up some TRD filters and a filter wrench--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom