Which oil filter socket do I need? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
So I was doing an oil change on my 80 today. Everything was going great till I needed to remove the oil filter. I can not get it off. I've been trying to use the rubber strap tool that wraps around it and then you pull it tight and turn it. But there's not much room wether you go above or below. But it put a dent in the oil filter and I just can't get it loose. So I figured I'm done trying that, and just need the socket already. I went to O'reillys to look for one and the one they had for Toyota/Lexus but its 65mm x 15 point. But it was too big for the oil filter. I google the SST from the FSM which is SST 09228−44011, and it says it's 94mm x 15 point. So it seems that is even bigger than the one from the store. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right tool and not wasting money. Below are a couple pictures of the oil filter I use.
Here is a link to the O'Reilly one for reference: Oil Filter Wrench

IMG_6472.jpeg

IMG_6473.jpeg

Is the engine cold? Run it for a few minutes and then try cracking the filter loose.

At the time the car was warm. Now it is cold, and the oil is drained. Should I start taking the oil filter off first before draining the oil?
no, just use the appropriate strap wrench to remove the filter

If you have to resort to it you can always stab it with a screwdriver and use that to spin it off. Or the metal plier style oil filter wrenches work really well.

I think I have a multi pack of filter cap sockets . I’ll check when I get home which fits.

Light oil in the oring and hand tighten only when reinstalling

So I was doing an oil change on my 80 today. Everything was going great till I needed to remove the oil filter. I can not get it off. I've been trying to use the rubber strap tool that wraps around it and then you pull it tight and turn it. But there's not much room wether you go above or below. But it put a dent in the oil filter and I just can't get it loose. So I figured I'm done trying that, and just need the socket already. I went to O'reillys to look for one and the one they had for Toyota/Lexus but its 65mm x 15 point. But it was too big for the oil filter. I google the SST from the FSM which is SST 09228−44011, and it says it's 94mm x 15 point. So it seems that is even bigger than the one from the store. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right tool and not wasting money. Below are a couple pictures of the oil filter I use.
Here is a link to the O'Reilly one for reference: Oil Filter Wrench

View attachment 3251743

View attachment 3251744
get back in there and use the strap wrench, it will work, you just need to align it so that it grips and then you will only need like 1/8 turn to break it loose, this just comes with practice

Most people remove the oil filter first, then remove the drain plug as it may allow the oil galleys to drain quicker. Also, not a big difference, but the oil will drain faster when warm.

Generally a good idea to replace the oil filter before refilling the oil pan, but if you don't it won't leak out, as long as you installed the drain plug first. So easier to remember to install the the new filter and drain plug, then refill with oil.

Either way, don't crank the engine until you've confirmed the new filter and drain plug are both in place and you've poured at least 7 quarts of oil into the engine (1FZFE). Start the engine, watch the oil pressure gauge (needle should move in a couple of seconds). Then check for leaks. Shut off engine, recheck oil level. A completely dry FZJ80 engine (1FZFE) with a new empty filter takes a tad less than 8 US quarts +/-.

The large filter IIRC takes a 15 flute 92/93mm filter wrench IIRC

Smaller filter may be 14 flute ~ 73-74mm??

(Edit: voodu3 got it, I took too long to type all this out)

In a pinch if you don't have the correct size wrench or any of the different types of straps, tools, etc, you can try using just your hand and body weight.

ie: reach up from the ground under the left side of the engine (clean your hand and filter off first so everything is completely dry and squeaky clean), then with your right hand/palm on the top front side of the filter (thumb pointing toward the block), fingers wrapped high up and over/around the filter, and then just using your body weight hanging like a monkey from a tree branch (ie: not just using your hand/wrist or pulling with just your arm, pulling with your whole body if that makes sense), you should be able to loosen the filter.

Last edited:
get back in there and use the strap wrench, it will work, you just need to align it so that it grips and then you will only need like 1/8 turn to break it loose, this just comes with practice
I'm going to have to get back at it tomorrow. Had to take a break. this is the Oil Filter Wrench that I have. I'm just worried about doing more damage because it has a dent in the oil filter that's in there.

Somewhat inconclusive.
80mm way too big. This 74-76mm is almost perfect fit but just won’t bite. Maybe if you tapped it on. I guess I only used the largest of this 4 pack of sockets when the big filters were readily available.
image.jpg

This is the one I use on my 80. Performance Tool W54108 73mm 14 Flutes Bulk Filter Wrench https://a.co/d/1rSCr26
That might work. The one I did buy and try to get to work was 74mm/76mm. It is just barely too big but I tried to make it work.

Take a looks at 14 vs 15 flute/flat. Just counted the filter and wrench and noticed the difference. Filter is 14. Wrench I have is 15

Last edited:
Remove the oil filter first, then drain the oil. Not a big difference but the oil will drain faster when warm. Generally a good idea to replace the oil filter before refilling the oil pan, but if you don't it won't leak out, as long as you installed the drain plug first. So easier to remember to install the new filter then refill with oil.

Either way, don't crank the engine until the new filter and drain plug are both in place. ;)

The large filter IIRC takes a ?15 flute 92/93mm filter wrench

Smaller filter may be 14 flute ~ 73-74mm??
That's what I was doing, had drained the oil, put the plug back in with new crush washer. Then I went to go replace the oil filter and then I couldn't get it off. Yay lol

You could try just reaching up from the ground under the engine as described above in post #10 (Edited). Same concept as a strap just using your hand and body weight. Trick is to have the oil filter and your hand absolutely dry and squeaky clean, then your hand will "stick" to the metal and help keep it from slipping.

You could try just reaching up from the ground under the engine as described above in post #10 (Edited). Same concept as a strap just using your hand and body weight. Trick is to have the oil filter and your hand absolutely dry and squeaky clean, then your hand will "stick" to the metal and help keep it from slipping.
That’s what I’ve been trying to do. There’s not enough room in there to try from up too. Too much in the way.

Plenty of room from below; squirm under the engine, feet toward the rear, head toward the front so you're directly under the filter, sit up and reach up to the filter with your right arm/hand, grab the filter long-ways with your palm as high was you can go on the side of the filter facing the front of the vehicle while wrapping your fingers around the filter, then pull down using your body weight, works everytime (if I can't find the correct filter wrench).

With the correct filter wrench and a flex head ratchet, you can get to it from above easy peasy,

First disconnect the high tension lead (plug wire) that runs from the distributor to the ignition coil.

To remove the wire at the coil (FZJ80) there's a small latch where it connects, lift the latch up/back with a finger and pull the wire out of the coil, then push the wire out of the way.

Then reach in from over the left fender with the filter wrench and turn counter-clockwise.

Maybe post up a photo looking down toward the filter from the left fender
to show us if there is something in the way that shouldn't be there??

Here's a link to some videos on changing the oil and filter on a fZJ80 if you haven't seen them yet:

I prefer to use a longish 3/8" drive flex head ratchet without an extension for the filter wrench but some people can loosen the filter by hand from above:

Oil filter removal starts around 2:40:

Oil filter removal starts around 7:40:

Oil filter removal starts around 3:50

Flex head 3/8" ratchet:

Or this one:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom