Which oil are locals using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I'm about to change my oil for the first time. I purchased my fzj80 last month, and after reading many threads on weight and brands of oil I would like to get an idea of what others who actually live in this area are using.

I'm in San Antonio.
Thanks,

Last edited:
I used castrol 20w50 on my fj60 for a long time, getting harder to find though great oil that won't sludge up your motor. Mystik also makes a good synthetic blend in 15w50 which is what I am using now. I run about 5000 miles on it and it seems to hold its viscosity well. wouldn't run anything lighter than 10w30 or 10w40 here in texas.

mystik is a good oil but you want to choose one that you can buy off the shelf just about anywhere you travel in case you need a quart or two or, you can always carry it with you. I burn Mobil 1 in everything I have with no issues..

Ive been using 10/30 in our FZJ80. Good results from it.Doesnt burn it, good used oil analysis results.

Going into summer 15/40 Rotella is a good choice. I found it too thick on startup during the winter but for the summer and the hotter temps it works great.

Brett, are you using the high mileage or standard Mobil 1? From my reading it seems the high mileage versions run a bit thicker?

delvac/ rotella, delo 15/40 @ 5-6k mile intervals

I use the regular synthetic. I don't think the high-mileage is 100% synthetic. High-mileage won't hurt or be any thicker. It has additives to swell gaskets to help stop or postpone oil leaks. Remember, the thicker you go, the more your fuel economy suffers albeit not by much.

Right now, Mobil 1, 5w30 full synthetic (15K rated intervals). I used Castrol Edge 15K interval to see how it would hold up and it was great. What I really want however is Amsoil full synthetic 25K rated interval - however try to find it. You pretty much have to order it for each oil change.

Mobil 1 high mileage until our last wrench day. Rotella since then. I don't know if it was the crank shaft seal or the new oil but no more leaks. :cool:

I use Scheaffer's oil products...or Motul when I can find it

They have Motul on Amazon now.

Speaking of oil, what do I do with the old peanut oil from the turkey fryer? I have two four gallon jugs of the stuff. Can it be recyled with the used motor oil? :confused:

Post it on craigslist, someone who makes biodiesel would be interested in it....

They have Motul on Amazon now.

Speaking of oil, what do I do with the old peanut oil from the turkey fryer? I have two four gallon jugs of the stuff. Can it be recyled with the used motor oil? :confused:

Post it on craigslist, someone who makes biodiesel would be interested in it....

I thought about that but I don't want any smelly hippies showing up at my door. :lol:

Too bad Brett doesn't still have the Mercedes. Wait...did I just call him a smelly hippie?

roflpunchingfloor.gif

lol..id say he's a texas hippie. save the trees but dont take my guns!

BTT:
I buy whatever quality oil is on special. Toyotas are known to be pretty easy on oil, except for a couple engines but ours is one that is quite gentle on oil. Plus with a large sump extended oil changes are easy peasy.

next oil change will be some "synthetic" along the 5w-40 lines like M1 TDT or Rotella due to climate change :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom