Which LX do I buy? 99 or 04 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, my first post on the forum but I have been reading threads for the past couple of months. I have always been a Jeep guy and love my built 2006 LJ Rubicon but I’m looking at an LX for a semi daily driver and some very mild off-roading. I have the chance to buy a couple LX’s, both are southern trucks with zero rust, one is a 99 and the other is an 04. I like the fact that the 99 doesn’t have the Navigation, but I have read that most guys prefer the 5 speed transmissions over the 4 speeds. Both have less than 90k and are advertised as the same price. The 99 is the color I like but I could learn to like the off white color if I had too. Neither have very extensive service records but have a decent amount for the low mileage. Is there any other big advantage to having one that’s 5 years newer?

How is a 99 and 04 with similar mileage asking the same price? 5spd is a must, test drive both and you'll see.

The interior on the 99 spotless and they just had the water pump and timing belt done. The 04 interior is a 7 out of 10 and has not had belt and pump down.

My two cents having never owned one with the five speed (I have a 99) is that the final drive is the same, so who really cares? Maybe others with experience in both can point out where I’m wrong. Also, having recently replaced the entire stereo from the head unit to the speakers and amp and all the wiring in between, I’m very happy that I did not have the nav unit. You will be happy either way, but when I was searching for a cruiser, I stopped looking after 2001.

So if it has the factory NAV you can not replace the head unit at all? Is it because the AC controls are built in?

So if it has the factory NAV you can not replace the head unit at all? Is it because the AC controls are built in?
you can replace it with aftermarket units that have AC in them. Tesla screens have been designed to fit into the 03+ trucks. I might go with a Grom Vline to get carplay/ android auto while still keeping the factory look and factory AC controls

I don’t think these things were available when I bought my cruiser, if they were I just didn’t know about it. The integrated a/c controls were basically the number one factor for me because I live in Houston and if the ac went out I would be screwed. I looked through the thread about it and it definitely looks promising. My main concern of screen failure still remains, but if it’s possible to run that system on an android tablet, then I personally don’t care how it looks as long as it works. Assuming the stereo system is something you can handle and feel confident in the a/c controls, I would change my vote to the 04.

My two cents having never owned one with the five speed (I have a 99) is that the final drive is the same, so who really cares?

First gear is lower, gives more grunt from a stop. Additional gears makes for a lower rpm drop in each shift keeping the engine in the powerband, improving acceleration and mileage.

I haven't driven a 100 with a 5 speed but I had a V8 4Runner with the 5 speed, it was waaay faster. I know it's a different car but there's a big difference. My 01 LX is a snail with the 4 speed but I love it anyway. I'm a Toyota guy who started with a corolla and now dd a 4 cylinder camry. The 4 speed is good enough for me. I know it's a snail accelerating from a red light, and it's slow going up a hill and it's totally fine to me at freeway speeds. If your used to more powerful cars (if I dd'd my wife's ES350 instead of my I4 camry) I would have probably wanted a 5 speed 100. Sorry for my random thoughts and scattered post.

How is a 99 and 04 with similar mileage asking the same price? 5spd is a must, test drive both and you'll see.
Disagree.

Driven both, own a 98. Def didn't matter to me when I bought. It's an old truck, I don't care about MPG and it's regeared anyway.

I'll take a mint interior and not having that POS integrated head unit every day of the week.

First gear is lower, gives more grunt from a stop. Additional gears makes for a lower rpm drop in each shift keeping the engine in the powerband, improving acceleration and mileage.

I drive like a grandma so the lower gear ratio doesn’t matter to me but I can certainly see that mattering to someone else. The improved mileage sounds sketchy to me since all land cruisers get crap mileage. What’s the mpg improvement? I’d be shocked if it was more than 1.

Nukegoat says the a750 is better and I have no reason to doubt that. Do you mean it’s built better, performs better, feels better, or all of the above? To me reliability and longevity trump better pickup and mpg hands down. Having said that, I honestly don’t know which transmission wins that competition.

Couple of things that may or may not matter to you...depending upon how much (and what type) of off-roading you intend to do with it.

'99 has a limited slip rear diff, which may or may not be working very well by now. The '04 has ATRAC (many consider superior off-road).

'99 has a two pinion front diff (open). '04 has a 4 pinion open front diff (stronger).

Both transmissions have good reputations for longevity, the 5 speed obviously stays in your power-band a bit better.

Either should serve you well on the highway.

I have both LX 99 and 04. I like both.

If the seller let’s you, pay $100+ for each to get a pre buy inspection by a local TLC guru mechanic.

99 cons:
1- Premium Unleaded. 23 gallons.

2- AHC can die earlier and costs $1,600 to replace with OME or OEM shocks, springs etc. Make sure it works well. It’s a bear to keep fixing sensors, costly to replace fluid etc.

3- Control panel buttons deteriorate contact and are expensive to replace, but can be DIY fixed if you are tech savvy.

4- Not sure yet I’d I will have to do it for my 04, but my 99 charcoal canister replacement in exhaust is pricey.

5- Nakamichi sound system can NOT accept add on for Bluetooth DIY that I am aware of. CD Player is probably toast. Check to see if tape deck can accept phone headphone adapter for music. None of the FM adapters seem to work in urban area like DC.

6- No matter where it’s been, check the back upper hatch for rust and water stains in license plate lights. The brake light above widow pane loosens and leaks rain.

7- no rear view camera. Pray when In reverse there isn’t a low parking pole to surprise you and put a big dent in your bumper. Giant blind spot below back window. When in reverse.

8- Fog light lenses are plastic and will start fogging around 125,000 miles.

99 Pros:

1- Control Panel buttons if they fail can be replaced. Instead of the 04 integrated display is a bear and expensive.

2- acceleration is very good. Especially if you use the PWR button. I don’t notice much difference with 04.

3- you can get most Toyota dealerships to work on the basics.

4- Radio can easily be replaced with aftermarket.

5- Speaker System seems to last for a long time. I’ve had mine since 02 and put 160,000 miles on it. Front speakers started going a few years ago.

6- radio shop can rig stereo to have a mod to connect smart phone headphone jack to play on assigned radio station. Basically a wired in high output FM transmitted that is 10 times better than over the counter transmitter that barely work. I’ve heard it on my other car radio when parked next to the LX.

7- Hard glass headlight lenses are fantastic and haven’t broken yet. 04 has plastic and is already blurring.

04 Cons:

1- integrated stereo with HvAC System. Mine is ok now, but look through message boards for nightmares.

2- my three year old battery is on last legs and I’ve found that stereo system doesn’t seem to work with battery below 14 volts while driving. I just bought in the spring and have been too lazy to search threads for fixes or if this is just battery. Amp had been replaced at dealership and I am going to take it there before replacing battery to see if it’s something they did.

3- Although it has bluetooth phone integration, it’s a bit quirky and slower to take voice commands. if you are used to a car more modern. Keep in mind smart phones weren’t around when this was designed so software may not talk well. Speaker calls with its mike are ok. Just don’t expect high tech.

4- Skid plates rusted out with 150,000 miles and have always been in Virginia.

5- tailgate lower trim backing rusted and continues to drop rust chips onto bumper. Press hard on lower plastic trim piece to see if rust drops out and crunching noise. Also check upper gate loft panel for rust from loose brake light wiggling and letting water in.

6- Bluetooth doesn’t connect streaming music from iPhone.

7- if you tow, hitch integrated into bumper is terrible idea. I could see this as scratch and dent waiting to happen. I have a hitch bike rack that hasn’t been a problem though.

8- PLASTIC crap headlight and fog light lenses.

Pros:

1- Regular Unleaded Gas! No noticeable acceleration difference at all. Big bonus.

2- CD System seems more reliable. 99 died after 80,000 miles. If you still use CDs.

3- Radio System will take a DIY easy mod to be able to plug into back of radio and run line out or under dash to plug into smart phone headphone jack to play streaming music. See thread.

4- Rear View camera is very good. Not high def but 100 times better than 99 blind spot if you parallel park and reverse a lot in neighborhood with kids running everywhere. Not to mention avoiding surprise low parking poles!

5- HVAC system for some reason seems to be more powerful. Maybe though I just can’t recall my 99 at 150,000. I did just replace cabin blower and it’s better than before.

6- roof rack cross bars are easier to adjust front to back than 99.

7- Rain sensing wiper system is nice.

8- Steering wheel thumb control switches for radio and phone.

And I am spent.

Hope this helps.

I drive like a grandma so the lower gear ratio doesn’t matter to me but I can certainly see that mattering to someone else. The improved mileage sounds sketchy to me since all land cruisers get crap mileage. What’s the mpg improvement? I’d be shocked if it was more than 1.

Nukegoat says the a750 is better and I have no reason to doubt that. Do you mean it’s built better, performs better, feels better, or all of the above? To me reliability and longevity trump better pickup and mpg hands down. Having said that, I honestly don’t know which transmission wins that competition.
a750 has better gear ratios for off-road. It feels more efficient and delivers more power to the ground rather than burned up in hopes and dreams.

Did 04 got the VVTi? If yes, then more so opt for the 04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom