Which LX do I buy? 99 or 04 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for hijacking, why is that 2004 takes regular but 99 needs premium? It's a same engine. I got 2001 and it says "premium" in book, but when I registered on Lexus website it says "regular"

To OP: I think it comes down to better condition. Interior, rust. I would pick the one that was preserved better. Of course, if you care about it.

P.S. Super-funny to read about "speed" of those trucks/acceleration and differences :)

Last edited:
I own a 99 and love it. But if I bought another it would without question be a 2003+ because of the 5 spd. Everything is negotiable/modifiable in these rigs except the transmission. Nobody has yet figured out how to put a A750 in place of an A343. It isn't just about acceleration. The engine is simply always in it's "happy place" with the A750 5spd. When you drive both you will see. It is noticable with any driving style.

You guys are awesome and I Really appreciate all of the input. I went and looked at the 04 today and it was not as it was advertised, there was rust on the undercarriage and just to be really honest I got a really bad vibe from the seller. The fact that there are some replacements for the factory audio/AC controls on the newer ones is promising. I have found a 2005 LX at a local Lexus dealership that I am going to check out tomorrow. It’s a clean 05 with 174k on it. Oddly enough, it’s the same price as the 99. I have read and read that “miles don’t matter” as long as there are good records. Is the general consent to take the 05 with higher miles because of the 5 speed? Or be happy with a low miles 99 for the same price?

You guys are awesome and I Really appreciate all of the input. I went and looked at the 04 today and it was not as it was advertised, there was rust on the undercarriage and just to be really honest I got a really bad vibe from the seller. The fact that there are some replacements for the factory audio/AC controls on the newer ones is promising. I have found a 2005 LX at a local Lexus dealership that I am going to check out tomorrow. It’s a clean 05 with 174k on it. Oddly enough, it’s the same price as the 99. I have read and read that “miles don’t matter” as long as there are good records. Is the general consent to take the 05 with higher miles because of the 5 speed? Or be happy with a low miles 99 for the same price?

Usually the advice is "buy the newest one you can afford." (But I'd add..."with decent service records).

I'd pick the '05 hands-down, wouldn't go without ATRAC. Head unit issues...are a non-issue.

174k is nothing. the 5spd is something.

True enough that miles (up to a point) really don't matter. The 2UZFE engine, trans and t-case ALL will go many, many miles with proper maintenance.

a750 > a343

Which has what? Why?

I'd take NO NAV over the integrated screen. Mostly b/c even reading about swapping out the mfd here is not for the faint of heart and that old screen is soon to malfunction.

I'd also take no nav over the 5spd. The 4spd has no trouble towing etc and it already has the aux fax. Neither type is by any means fast.

Last edited:
I have a 1998 Land Cruiser and a 2006 Land Cruiser. If you plan on modifying for off road use buy the 1999. If you plan to use it for highway trips get the 2004. Just my opinion.

If you're looking to go off-road, a '99 is the last one to specifically look for for that purpose. I'd say this is not good info, given the following:

'99 has a limited slip rear diff, which may or may not be working very well by now. The '04 has ATRAC (many consider superior off-road).

'99 has a two pinion front diff (open). '04 has a 4 pinion open front diff (stronger).

Both transmissions have good reputations for longevity, the 5 speed obviously stays in your power-band a bit better.

I've owned a '99, '00, '01, and now an '05. I never 'felt' a big difference with the 5-speed to my other 3, but I'm on bigger tires than the others had on them. I have no problem with the integrated HVAC because the only buttons I ever really use for it are the temp adjust, which are physical buttons. I installed a BTOY bluetooth module for full, factory-like integration (including steering wheel controls!) Most of the time, my nav screen is turned off by choice. Backup camera is nice I guess, but at night all it does it blind me inside and I end up turning it off anyway. I simply learned how to drive when I was a kid so no need for it.

The 03+ also won't have the ABS pump issues as often as the earlier models.

IMO, if everything is apples to apples, go with the '04.

@MongooseGA or others, thought all LC's had the pump, 98 to 07? I thought it was the newer years vs the older? If not [older worse], one more thing to put on my worry/wonder about list.

I could be mistaken, but I believe it affected more 00 and 01 trucks than any others. My '99 had just started exhibiting signs before she met an untimely demise (unrelated).

I'd go for an 03+ to get the 5 speed, or better yet an 05+ to get the VVTI engine.

I think you also get a slew of extra airbags (at least as an option) on the 03+. Having had a relative just get t-boned in an intersection, that's worth something in my book. Curtain airbags are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom