1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Lift for fj60????????

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by garsticker, Feb 25, 2004.

1. garsticker

garsticker

Which one guys??..BDS,HFS,Pinnacle,Smokey Mountain..or any other kind under 1000.00 bucks
    I am lost some have shocks some don't, some have break lines some don't..which is the best for the money..I just need 2.5 to 3'' and I don't do any HARDCORE off roading or rock crawling...just slick mud and a hill or two..I bought this old 60 for 400.00 dollars and it is strong as an ox so I don't want to put a whole bunch of cash in it but I do need a lift?

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  3. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=garsticker link=board=1;threadid=12082;start=msg110407#msg110407 date=1077749335]
    Which one guys??..BDS,HFS,Pinnacle,Smokey Mountain..or any other kind under 1000.00 bucks
    I am lost some have shocks some don't, some have break lines some don't..which is the best for the money..I just need 2.5 to 3'' and I don't do any HARDCORE off roading or rock crawling...just slick mud and a hill or two..I bought this old 60 for 400.00 dollars and it is strong as an ox so I don't want to put a whole bunch of cash in it but I do need a lift?
    [/quote]

First of all how the hell did you score a Fj60 for $400?

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude....

They are out there, you just need to be in the right place at the right time, and have the cash with you...

Good luck!

-Steve

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=12082;start=msg110434#msg110434 date=1077751435]
    First of all how the hell did you score a Fj60 for $400?
    [/quote]

rust comes to mind...

6. The Dude

The Dude

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12082;start=msg110429#msg110429 date=1077751145]

Spring over...

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/fj60springover/
    [/quote]

I have to agree. I lifted my 61 and three weeks later I am ordering parts for the spring over. It will continue to be my daily driver and mild offroader. I currently own both wheelbase of trucks and I would not hestitate to spring over a 60 series under any circumstances. It has a longer wheelbase and a wider track width. To me this makes the negitive effects of the SOA minimial as compared to a SOA on a 40 series.

I am happy with the Belton lift, and the way it performs for what it is.

7. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

garsticker...

I hear your pain - it took me a long time to decide on which lift. I ended up w/the MAF Safari lift, their springs, but with OME shocks/shackles/etc.

You need the extended brake lines if you're going to flex the suspension. You also need longer shocks. I suppose you could get away with resuing your u-bolts/shackles/etc, but everybody says "don't do it" as it's penny wise but pound foolish. Potentially dangerous too.

Some on this board are really keen on spring-overs. If you have the fab skills, this can be a low buck option. It does give you a lot more lift though, which can be good or bad depending on your needs. For 33" tires, a 2.5-3.0 inch lift is a proven combo. You can get away with no other mods to your truck if you wish with this setup.

It's been awhile since I checked prices, but I seem to remember that BDS had the best value in a kit. For what it's worth, nobody has regrets about popping the extra for the OME kit. In hindsight, that's what I should have done too. I had to muck around with caster shims to get good tracking on the freeway. MAF claimed that shims weren't necessary, but on my truck I needed them. My understanding is that the OME springs are designed to give good tracking w/out the need for a shim.

If really cheap is your goal - use helper springs - aka "add a leafs". Ride will be harsh, though less so if you use the longer ones. With longer shackles, you should get near to 2.5". Very cheap, very harsh.

In the end, you gotta figure out what's going to work for your needs/budget/skills/etc.

Congrats on the purchase, no matter what you decide, you've got a great rig, and will have a blast wheeling it and wrenching on it!

8. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

I like my BDS kit with the 1 1/2 shackles clears the 33 great i got mine used for cheap ... its firm but not to bad .... BUT for a cheap blaster if you weld and SOA would rock

9. garsticker

garsticker

Big Sur
    I was at a customers house (I have a pest control company)
    and he was in it..the thing ran smooth as silk and shifted the same...he wanted to know about some brown recluse spider control on a rental house he had and I hoped in to take the "short-cut" with him..after we had gotten back he told me the thing was too rough on his replacement hip and did I want to buy it..I said no and left..his son calls three days later and says his wife is making him get rid of it and other various toys..he told me he was offered 800 bucks for it and wished he'd took it...I went and tested it..never been wrecked,no dents,only rust is the usual at the tailgate and above the rear wheels...227,127 miles..all new hoses,belts brand new BFG's 31x10.5x15 AT's and a new clutch and new calipers on front and drums on rear ,only one tear in upholstery very small, it only needed a muffler,ps pump,and ac compressor and assorted fuses ,fantastic four wheel hook-up
    when I got back from the test he said he was offered 1200 and I said "hey now get your lie straight...it was 800 over the phone...never mind" and I walked back to the truck..the guy shouted "400 cash.".Well I paid him and drove it home and have been very happy and very envied by my buds. I'll post a pic or two when I get the lift on...anyone know where to get a benton or does anyone have a HFS...How do you like it

10. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    damnit id pay 400 in heart beat for another 60

11. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=garsticker link=board=1;threadid=12082;start=msg110478#msg110478 date=1077755716]
    Big Sur
    I was at a customers house (I have a pest control company)
    and he was in it..the thing ran smooth as silk and shifted the same...he wanted to know about some brown recluse spider control on a rental house he had and I hoped in to take the "short-cut" with him..after we had gotten back he told me the thing was too rough on his replacement hip and did I want to buy it..I said no and left..his son calls three days later and says his wife is making him get rid of it and other various toys..he told me he was offered 800 bucks for it and wished he'd took it...I went and tested it..never been wrecked,no dents,only rust is the usual at the tailgate and above the rear wheels...227,127 miles..all new hoses,belts brand new BFG's 31x10.5x15 AT's and a new clutch and new calipers on front and drums on rear ,only one tear in upholstery very small, it only needed a muffler,ps pump,and ac compressor and assorted fuses ,fantastic four wheel hook-up
    when I got back from the test he said he was offered 1200 and I said "hey now get your lie straight...it was 800 over the phone...never mind" and I walked back to the truck..the guy shouted "400 cash.".Well I paid him and drove it home and have been very happy and very envied by my buds. I'll post a pic or two when I get the lift on...anyone know where to get a benton or does anyone have a HFS...How do you like it
    [/quote]

That brought tears to my eye....