Which LC to buy 1998-2002? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, Folks,

I'm looking into buying a 1998-2002 LC, and I'm trying to understand the differences & options. Here's my questions,

1) Do any of these models years come with a limited slip rear differential? Is it standard equipment?

2) Same question for front

3) Was rear e-locker an option on 1998-99 only (slee)? My toyota dealer parts counter guy thinks it was an option from 1999-2002.

4) What is advantage of 4-pinion (vs 2-pinion) front differential starting with 2000 model?

5) Where can I find info on how VSC, A-TRAC, and EBD work?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice on these questions and anything else you might think I need to know!

-Steve

Steve,

I'll try to help you out but as I was told almost everything can be found with the search or in the FAQ section. Here is the link to the differences in the 100's put together by Slee:

Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

1&2: don't know
3: yes, the rear was an option in '98&'99
4: from reading other posts the 4 is better than the 2 b/c the 2 was breaking easier
5: can't answer

I've been looking too, b/c I'm trying to decide which one to go with. I'm trying to figure out if having the rear lockers is worth giving up the VSC, A-Trac, & EBD, or vice versa. OR if going with the 80 with dual lockers is better? It's tough being at a smorgasbord!!!

the first two years for lx470 had LSD rears if I'm not mistaken.

It's starting to be an overwhelming amount of people stating to buy the newest your wallet can afford you. Take Into account the mods you plan on when you decide that amount. I'd say a 00-02, while I wish I could turn off trac/vsc on a switch they're nice to have. Someone will demand you have it but it's not NEEDED. Mine only kicks in when I take turns faster then the truck thinks it can handle.

Also adding dual lockers is a lot easier then adding trac/vsc if you feel you need em.

Oh and btw, people have been getting STEALS on the newer 06/07 trucks. Something to consider

I am seriously considering selling my 2000 and getting a 2003. After test driving 03's, there are large differences in the dash layout, and the 5 speed is much smoother and seems to me, quicker and just nicer.

If your going to mod it to the hilt, it would not matter as much.

I remember a member saying the 98-99 fell under the "unsafe" class because of the lack of VSC and it didn't do to well in the Moose test.l( or is it deer test?) I could be wrong so please correct me guys.

The 2000-2007 have traction and stability. It's saved my ass a few times and owe it alot. I'm young so my accident evasion skills aren't as good as some of the more expirienced so I pitched it extremely hard and the system saved me from rolling. If I had not of had it. I probably would of rolled.
The e-locker may be slow. But the compromise is worth it. My experience proves. And I'm glad we have a 2000.

Butyea, if your gunna wheel the hell out of it. Probably won't matter. As a DD though, ill stick with my 2000 any day

Hope that helps.

Consumer Reports wouldn't give the LC a "recommended" until it featured VSC. Before that they felt it was too tippy and would fail their infamous Suzuki Samurai roll test.

No LSD on the LC. I don't know about the LX, but I'm finding reviews through Google up to 2005 that still make reference to a LSD rear (and LSD center :rolleyes:).

No locker or LSD for the front end, ever. ARB is the only option.

98 and 99 are the only years for the electronic rear locker.

The 4 pinion is stronger than the 2 pinion, but people have still broken those. But, it's not reported here nearly as much as the 2 pinion.

As for the VSC and A-trac, it's a system that uses the ABS to control wheel spin and throttle control to maintain traction or direction. VSC would be for sliding, A-TRAC would be for wheel slip. I've never driven a vehicle with VSC. My dad's 4Runner has it, he said it is loud and unnerving when it operates, but that it works.

Cory I know the LXs had em, hoser has one sitting in his garage.

The VSC sounds of the system working aren't as scary as the steady constant beeping, my friends dubbed it the "oh s*** beep" & the "we're about to die beep".

In the LS430 the VSC almost killed me. I powerslided a turn and after I countersteered and had it straightened out the VSC kicked in and sent me towards the end of a guardrail. I had to resave it...not fun

The thing i like the most about my 99 is that it doesn't have the VSC and all those other things that will break you when they go out. just learn to drive.

What is your budget, and what are your plans for the vehicle? Those 2 factors make a big difference.

What is your budget, and what are your plans for the vehicle? Those 2 factors make a big difference.

Pint,

Good question. I'm looking to spend less than $15,000 to start and then I'll spend as needed for modding. I plan to use vehicle for running the family around town and running the family to the woods on the weekend. Lastly, I want something that I can get a bit into the back woods or desert with, but not compromise comfort and safety.

Steve

Buy an Armada..... HA, HA.

My 2 cents. I prefer the 98-99s with the locking rear diffs. AHC control and VSC in my opinion are simply not needed and are costly to repair. Plus the 98-99 have a 4:30 rear end vs the 4:10 on the newer, If you go with bigger tires (with in reason) on the 98-99 you will most likely not have to regear. I use mine for kid hauling/fishing/camping etc and It has been wonderful.

In my opinion, giving advice to purchase as new as possible is not always the best advice for any car.

You can get a 98-99 in excellent condition and with low miles for 15k. If you are savvy you could find one for 12k and put 3K of modes into it.

All of the Cruisers (100 and LX470) can get you into the back woods safely and in comfort. It has been proven that all years of Cruisers will make you better looking and a better person. They are all amazing to say the least.

Choose wisely young(or old) man.

Another point to consider IIRC the factory recommends premium fuel for 98'-00' models and regular for 01' and on with a note in the owners manual that premium can be used for better performance. However, some run regular in the earlier models with no apparent issues...

AHC control and VSC in my opinion are simply not needed and are costly to repair.

Plus the 98-99 have a 4:30 rear end vs the 4:10 on the newer, If you go with bigger tires (with in reason) on the 98-99 you will most likely not have to regear.

Bad advice...sorry.

*Plenty of non-AHC Cruisers out there of all years.
*VSC repairs are almost non-existant even in extremely high mileage Cruisers. Plus, VSC could save your life. In testing on the 100 and the 200-Series, they could not control the Cruiser in the "avoidance manuever test" no matter who drove without VSC kicking in and controlling the vehicle. Another reason they deemed the 98-99 as unsafe. They lost control (professional drivers) and they tipped onto two wheels.

*Your gear ratio vs year vs tire size vs "re-gearing not needed" is not accurate. For one...all 4-speed models have 4.30 ratios (like my 2001 for example). The 4.10 is for the 5-speed years. The final drive ratio is what counts and larger tires will effect every year model almost the same.

Last edited:
Bad advice...sorry.

*Plenty of non-AHC Cruisers out there of all years.
*VSC repairs are almost non-existant even in extremely high mileage Cruisers. Plus, VSC could save your life. In testing on the 100 and the 200-Series, they could not control the Cruiser in the "avoidance manuever test" no matter who drove without VSC kicking in and controlling the vehicle. Another reason they deemed the 98-99 as unsafe. They lost control (professional drivers) and they tipped onto two wheels.

*Your gear ratio vs year vs tire size vs "re-gearing not needed" is not accurate.

Source for the 98/99 being deemed "unsafe"?

1. I had VSC on my 2001 Land Cruiser, and yeah, it's nice, I never once ever heard it beep. The LX470, which I still have, doesn't have it (so I won't hear a beep) is still here. I think that as long as you are a good driver you won't have a problem (in either a 2000+ or a 98-99).

2. I have run regular in my LX470 (and did in my Land Cruiser) since the day of purchase (August 99 for the Lexus, August 2001 for the Land Cruiser). I haven't had any problem. I even asked my dealer about it. My dealer told me that it is fine to run regular in the truck, and if I wanted to, I could even run 87 in the thing. I lose horsepower with 87 octane, but I haven't noticed a difference in the truck from 89-91/93 octane. It's fine.

3. I PERSONALLY would buy the newest I could. I would try for a 2003, as the 5 speed transmission and updated dash are nice features, but all are great cars, even a 1998 with 240k miles. My reasonig behind this is that they will run forever. I put 1/3 of the amount of money in the 100 than I do in my Range Rovers, and to tell you the truth, I am finally starting to like it better (took me only 10 years).

4. 2000+ has VSC, which is awesome, but you won't see any difference unless you are a completely crazy driver and taking turns at 50 mph, which I wouldn't do in any 100, with VSC or not (or any SUV for that matter)

"Unsafe" is relative. Try telling an 80 driver his rig is unsafe and see how long he laughs. That thread about the guy who ran his 80 into a construction crane at 50-60mph is a good one.

CR, for what they're worth, never rated the LC as "unsafe", nor to my knowledge has the NHII in their crash tests. CR wouldn't give the LC a "recommend" until it added VSC. Their story was something like, the truck didn't tip over, but we feel like it could.

CR, for what they're worth, never rated the LC as "unsafe", nor to my knowledge has the NHII in their crash tests. CR wouldn't give the LC a "recommend" until it added VSC. Their story was something like, the truck didn't tip over, but we feel like it could.

You justify the facts to yourself however you want.

*Tipped onto 2 wheels and lost control (no it did not roll over). Do you want your LC to do that?
*When VSC was added in 2000 no tester could drive through the test WITHOUT VSC kicking in. It's not driver expertise but rather the electronics (VSC) that allowed for vehicle control through the cones/track. So these egomaniacs online who think they can control it WITHOUT VSC in those same circumstances are whacked.

Forward to 2008....The same exact thing happened in 200-Series testing. The drivers could not control the LC without VSC kicking in throughout.

No ego here. I'll face the facts and always side on safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom