Which grade of gas have you been using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to know if it's okay to temporarily use 87/regular gas with the current prices. I've always used 89 Oct. and occasionally I would switch to 93 a for a tank or two but never used 87 before, any insights would be appreciated.

I have used 87 as recommended in my owners manual since I purchased my 100 in 2016. Zero issues.

You are right! I just checked my 2005's manual, says the same. It says 91 is recommended if higher performance is desired.

I’ve been happily using 85 without issue, but I’m also at 7000 feet altitude so I can get away with it.

Just got back from a road trip, and I foudn that the 100 series seems to get the best gas mileage at around 63-64 mph cruising
Yes. If you ( I can) can tolerate (my wife cannot) that seems to be the sweet spot.

There's millions of Tundras out there with 4.7's running 87 octane just fine. The only reason to run any higher octane is to get the full power that the ECU will get with timing. I don't think a Land Cruiser 100 with a V8 running somewhere in South America or Africa is going to be running 93 octane. Run 87 and don't worry about it.

90 ethanol free

There's millions of Tundras out there with 4.7's running 87 octane just fine. The only reason to run any higher octane is to get the full power that the ECU will get with timing. I don't think a Land Cruiser 100 with a V8 running somewhere in South America or Africa is going to be running 93 octane. Run 87 and don't worry about it.

Some older posts mentioned the LX recommended higher grade may be a marketing strategy to match the luxury SUV status. Are the tuning of the 4.7 (both LC and LX) different between the years requiring premium vs. years not requiring premium?

Some older posts mentioned the LX recommended higher grade may be a marketing strategy to match the luxury SUV status. Are the tuning of the 4.7 (both LC and LX) different between the years requiring premium vs. years not requiring premium?
I was one of the ones that suggested that. :). There is not a single 4.7 that REQUIRES premium, the manuals just say to use it. It's a low compression motor that redlines at 5k. Nothing about it needs premium.

Premium fuel is how Lexus achieves its stated HP rating-

Been using 87 in mine for a long long time.. now no problems or issues.. as others pointed out other countries in S. America/Africa don't get the option of 92 at all locations..

87 around town. Premium on highway road trips. The 4.7 seems to get a good 1mpg more on the good stuff when cruising on highway speeds of 70-75mph - at least at piedmont to coastal elevations.

Last edited:
Just got back from a road trip, and I foudn that the 100 series seems to get the best gas mileage at around 63-64 mph cruising
2k rpms is that sweet spot for sure. I was pleased to see 15mpg from my calculation on my recent road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom