Which egine should I run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in a dilemma. I want to put a diesel engine in my 40 but not sure if I should put a 3b or a 6.2 Liter. I can get a 6.2 liter with a NV4500 for $2000 or I get a complete 80-83 FJ60 with a 3b with a 4 or 5 speed for about the same price. I'm leaning tawords the 6.2 with the NV4500 but want to get some input from ya'll on waht ya think. It will be used on and off road but mostly off road trails and such. Thanks

the 3B will be pretty much a bolt in..the 6.2 wont even be close, you will have to re-engineer everything...if you have lots of time and even more $$ and desire the 6.2, the choice will be yours...

It is best to get a complete donor truck if you go the 3B route...as the little parts will drive you nuts trying to find

The 3B is also awesome off road...very nice low end torque.

Hope this helps you out a bit

Best Regards

Gord

3B... like Gord says, awesome off road... not a real thoroughbred on the highway. That being said, I like the 3B.
GG

I love my 3B. 80% of my driving is in the city(Seattle)

I do kind of laugh at people crying about the 3B being a dog....its a 90 ish hp engine in a very heavy truck. I can run down the highway just fine, no I don't pass people like I can in my wifes Forrester, but I also get almost the same MPG.

In my opinion to main thing to consider when looking at this sort of thing is the availability of parts. It is only going to get harder and harder to find parts for the older Toyota diesels.

I like the idea of swapping in a newer Toyota diesel that has much more support parts wise. Plus, with a newer engine you get all the benefits of new technology.

If you can get a 5 speed I would do that!

disclamer....I didn't do the swap into my Fj the PO did.

Few things ..

1. The 6.2 NV4500 combo have a t-case .. ? which is . ?

2. In the case that the first answer is not .. you considere in your budget the nv4500 adaptor to your stock t-case .. ?

3. The 3B combo should be much more desirable if it come with the H55F ( 5 spd ) tranny .. ( make the hole diference )

4. The shape of both engines .. ?

3B of course, no offense but the 6.2 couldnt even compare in longetivity, they are poor starting when they are not maintained properly. 3B requires way less work to install. my 2cents

yes by all means if you can afford it get the 5 spd for sure....i just happen to have 3 of them

:):):)

Gord

Ya I am definetly going with a 3b. I got a couple leads on some FJ60's one is a 83' with power streering and brakes with a 5 speed I'm just waiting to here back from the owner. The other is a 81' that has a 3b Diesel engine km unknown on the motor and was swapped in by pevious owner mated to 4 spd(H41 low range tranny). Hey Gord if I end up needing one of thoses 5 speeds ya got how much for one of them? Thanks Guys for all your input.

buy the 60 drive it use your 40 as a bush truck or a project, there will be alot of work before you are ready to drop an engine in it. might be nice to have wheels in the meantime.
as well with chevy diesels there were a few years where they used a converted gas block(so i have been told), and they are reputed to be lacking. someone here would probably know more.
the 3b is a legend
the choice is yours
good luck with your decision
eric

Ditto on the 3B and the 5 speed, if your wheelin all day the 3B uses very little fuel. Nice quiet little motor, on the highway you lose on the mileage with the 4 speed due to the rev's. With the 5 speed you should be able to cruise along at low rpm (where the 3B is happy) and save money on fuel. I should have mine back on the road in 2 weeks with the 5 speed, and I will be watching speed, rpms and mileage. And might even be able to pull off the hearing protection!!

Good luck

I would say go 13BT....all the good stuff everyone mentioned, plus power. Hard to beat in a 40.

I would say go 13BT....all the good stuff everyone mentioned, plus power. Hard to beat in a 40.

Are they as common as 3B's? Not that an engine(3B) that has been out of production for what 23+ years now are common. Just wondering in the grand scheme of things which is easier to get parts for.

I know both are hard, compared to a 350 or a 4bt or such....

just thinking while I am typing....

Tim

i have almost finished doing a 3b swap into my 40. i love it so far. but if you can get the 5 speed.

Are they as common as 3B's? Not that an engine(3B) that has been out of production for what 23+ years now are common. Just wondering in the grand scheme of things which is easier to get parts for.

Tim

Not as common (at least in NA) considering the 3B numbers in Canada and the 13BT was only used in limited models. The good thing is that a lot of the maintenance and bolt on parts such as belts, hoses, alt, waterpump and a lot of gaskets etc are the same.

Thanks Guys for all your input. Come this time tommarow I'll know for sure if I'll be getting a 3b with a 5 speed. Theres a gal selling an fj60 and if all gos well I have in the states here by the end of the week. Thanks again :cheers:

Not as common (at least in NA) considering the 3B numbers in Canada and the 13BT was only used in limited models. The good thing is that a lot of the maintenance and bolt on parts such as belts, hoses, alt, waterpump and a lot of gaskets etc are the same.

Exactly. Belts, alt., radiator caps, starter motor, thermostat, throw out bearing, etc can be sourced from 3B motors. The turbo parts are common to the supra. The 5spd tranny is the same, so no difference there either. The only thing I have run into was the injectors. The parts were available to rebuild in japan, but not the whole thing. After I bought the rebuild parts, I found a place in Australia that has whole injectors at a very reasonable price. If something major goes wrong, it really doesn't matter which motor you have, you will be special ordering and waiting on the parts since Autozone isn't going to have rebuild kits. The good news is that major stuff rarely happens. Install an EGT, boost gauge, and keep water out of the fuel.....that's pretty much it.
I have run the 13BT for a year now, and really love it. More power than the 2F had, way better fuel economy, and I can cruise on the hwy with the 5th gear now. No regrets other than it would have been nice to find a 15BT with intercooler out of a megacruiser....but I don't have that kind of money!

Tim

3b's were made into the mid 90's. Coaster buses etc were built with them. Even some Hiace vans.

Depends, he already can have the 3B available cheaply, like less than half the price of a 13B-T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom