Which brand of synthetic do you run? (1 Viewer)

Which brand of synthetic do you prefer?

• Mobil 1

Votes: 80 70.8%
  • Castrol Syntech

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Havloline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roleta T

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

delvac

Mobil 1 has thinner oil.

I get mine from Costco. It runs about $4 per bottle in the 6-pack box they sell.
Sometimes it's cheaper at Wal-Mart (5 gallon jugs)...but I hate that place, so I avoid it if I can.

You mean to tell me there is more than one brand of oil.......... :confused:

Guess I need to get out more. :D

I use Mobil 1 . I did notice that you omitted Royal Purple from that list. I was considering running that someday. Any input?

Valvoline Syn.

Amsoil Heavy Duty Deisel oil.

Amsoil Synthetic gear oil too.

Bear80 said:
I'm thinking of going to Castrol 5w-50 over the Mobil 1 15w-50 that I run now. Any feelings on that? I don't like the price of Mobil 1 anymore and I want to go back to a thiner oil.

If I recall, Cary or someone had commented on Castrol Syntech before, and said it's not true synthetic and not in the same league as Mobil 1, Amsoil etc.., it's more of a synthetic blend. I think the comparable product to this would be Mobil 7500, which is about a buck cheaper a quart.

Me, I decided on Rotella T (or Roleta T as you say :D) and longer change intervals to justify the higher cost.

:beer:
Rookie2

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the synthetic blends? They are cheaper than full syn but they have no % content. Could be one drop of syn per bottle as far as I know...

I will be changing the oil more often in the 80, I figure to do it after every offroad trip as well. So I was thinking of staying w/ 5W30 or 5W40 dino. I think the fill cap says 5W30?

Also what is everyone's opinion on the high-mileage oils? Noticed Castrol, Pennzoil, etc have them w/ "additives to lubricate seals, etc"

I run Mobil1 in my Cruiser and my DD (Acura) and Castro Syntec in my wife's BMW.

[/QUOTE]Also what is everyone's opinion on the high-mileage oils? Noticed Castrol, Pennzoil, etc have them w/ "additives to lubricate seals, etc"[/QUOTE]

Dont buy it, its just a marketing ploy to broaden there customer base. Dont fal for it, not necessary...

I run Amsoil everywhere.... engine/ TC/ Diffs/ Tranny

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
I use Mobil 1 . I did notice that you omitted Royal Purple from that list. I was considering running that someday. Any input?

I run all my diffs, tc, atf, engine with Royal Purple. I even use their grease for the driveshafts, and also in my 2-stroke jetski as well. It's supposed to have higher film strength than m1, I don't know if I buy in to all the hype. Were I work all the industrial equipment mechanics swear by it, and so far it has worked out very well for me.

Also what is everyone's opinion on the high-mileage oils? Noticed Castrol, Pennzoil, etc have them w/ "additives to lubricate seals, etc"[/QUOTE]

Dont buy it, its just a marketing ploy to broaden there customer base. Dont fal for it, not necessary...
[/QUOTE]

Based on my experience, I have to disagree. I had a slight leak around the rear main seal and based on a comment on this board (may have been Cary, not sure) that the "high-mileage" oils contained a seal sweller additive, I decided to give it a try. The leak stopped a few hundred miles after switching and hasn't returned in 6 months.

FirstToy said:
What do you guys think of the synthetic blends? They are cheaper than full syn but they have no % content. Could be one drop of syn per bottle as far as I know...

I will be changing the oil more often in the 80, I figure to do it after every offroad trip as well. So I was thinking of staying w/ 5W30 or 5W40 dino. I think the fill cap says 5W30?

Also what is everyone's opinion on the high-mileage oils? Noticed Castrol, Pennzoil, etc have them w/ "additives to lubricate seals, etc"

Reccomendations:
¢ Chevron Supreme 10w-30 $0.49/qt on sale at Kragan
$ Chevron Delo 15w-40---Great and cheap
$$ Shell Rotella Syn 5w-40 Wide viscosity spread, good additive pack
$$$ Mobil1 0w-40 Well documented excellent performance in 80 series use

Good luck FirstToy. I don't think the high mileage oils are much more than marketing, and the syn blends probably have very little syn since there is no standard mix. Best bang for buck by far is the Delo. A case of 6 gallons is $36 at Costco.

Is the Delo 400 15w40 a synthetic oil? I bought the Rotella Synthetic at walmart and saw the Delo for half the price, it said "ISO syn" on it, but didn't say it was synthetic. Hmmmm...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom