Which brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
which brake pads should I buy for the front and rear for my 94 fzj80. Should I buy the metallic or semi metallic? which is the best for the money.

Tim

Front: 04465-60020

Rear: 04466-60020

Optional front, 100 series (requires resurfacing or replacing rotors): 04465-60151

D-

I'll agree with the Man. I tow a lot and my last set of stock Toyota pads lasted 47,300 miles according to my log. Never a squeak, fade or sound, though I confess to tweaking the wear indicators when they started to "indicate" and ran them another 6000 miles...

IdahoDoug

Tim,
The 100 series pads on the front of mine are wearing very well. I think they improved the braking but it's hard to attribute it to just the pads since several things were replaced at the same time. They have more surface area than the 80 series pads and they are thicker. They will fit but you will need to wait until they wear down some before the anti-squeal shims will slip in.

The PO of my truck wasn't getting anywhere close to 47k miles on front pads. The maintenance records show he was replacing them well under 20k miles. Driving style has a *lot* to do with pad wear.

(C-Dan can stop reading now...)
I selected the Axxis Metal Master 100 series front pads. I don't have any significant negative comments and/or positive comments. Just nothing to compare since this was the first brake job that I did on the 80. However, they *do* squeal more than I would like but the noise is not excessive.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6451;start=msg52300#msg52300 date=1066494919]

(C-Dan can stop reading now...)

-B-
[/quote]

Who said I could read? :rolleyes:

On the PO replacing brakes. If there is one area that mechanics tend to overspend customer money, it's with the brakes. Take a look at the pads in the work area trash cans at the end of a day and you'll see that most pads are replaced way early. I'd guess the average pads are tossed with 20-30% remaining. Who's gonna listen to a call from the mechanic saying "Looks like your brakes are kinda worn and we should replace the pads and turn the rotors" without saying "Sure" unless they regularly look themselves?

Another shameless plug encouraging everyone be more of a DIY owner and paying attention to your vehicle.

IdahoDoug

I am with doug,
I manage a body shop for a f@rd dealer and the techs there love to replace brakes. book time on the job is like .8 hrs for a common car and takes about .4 hrs. never met a tech who wouldnt up sell a brake job or air filter.
back closer to topic. for those of you with the misaligned but ever godly 3fe out there the 100 series pads are a no go for the front end the rotors are too tall for the calipers. not relative to your truck but you gotta look out for the 91-92 guys.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom