Which bolt goes where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In disassembling and going through everything underneath my FZJ80 (axles, drivelines, suspension, steering linkage, brakes), I've been good about grouping parts in ziplocks as I remove them. I have to admit though, sometimes I look at the contents of a bag and I'm still a little confused. For example, bolts that came off the outside of each axle holding the brake lines, brackets, speed sensor harnesses, etc. Most of the bolts are 12mm with slightly different lengths and the occasional omission of a flat washer. From what I can tell it looks like the bolts holding the brake lines are a little longer.

This got me thinking, is there a resource someone could use to find the proper size of each FZJ80 bolt, based on where it goes? Or maybe a list of common hardware and what it's used for? I tried searching with no luck.

I have a second 80 I use for reference.

I have a second 80 I use for reference.

I'm sure that's the best solution!

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) has information for fasteners, torque
specs, etc.

Wits End has a poster for the front axle service components:

I see the torque spec tables but I can't seem to find any info on the bolt size, length, etc. Using my previous example, the bolts to bolt the speed sensor harnesses and brake lines to the axles are different lengths but the same size. I don't actually think it makes a difference, but I'm the type of person who wants it correct, so much so that last week I bought one of these thread checkers to more accurately measure fasteners.

I'd love to see the community put together something like this for the 80. Having a handy reference is going to be useful as these rigs get older.

I believe there are a limited number of fastener sizes used on the 80. That's a stupid comment. Of course there are...I have been dismantling my totalled 80 slowly over the last few years, keeping the fasteners in a bin. I couldn't tell you where they all go, but I can tell you, there aren't many sizes. I could sort through them and find the 4-8 different sizes...maybe.

Next time use the cardboard box method. Stick the bolts into the box and write down where they came from.

I believe there are a limited number of fastener sizes used on the 80. That's a stupid comment. Of course there are...I have been dismantling my totalled 80 slowly over the last few years, keeping the fasteners in a bin. I couldn't tell you where they all go, but I can tell you, there aren't many sizes. I could sort through them and find the 4-8 different sizes...maybe.

This has been my observation as well. Seems like if we worked together it'd be fairly easy to create a database/spreadsheet of where each goes.

Next time use the cardboard box method. Stick the bolts into the box and write down where they came from.

I certainly will!

Not that it helps you now but when I put hardware in bags I write on the bag what/where they came out of. Did that when I swapped my radiator and had zero issues.

Look on partsouq diagrams for your truck. They actually have pictures of lots of the parts when you click on them.

I keep several of these parts bins (or similar) around, I pull the lid off (it just gets in the way) and keep parts in order from first off to last. I've gone so far as to photograph the part in the truck and then the bin where the hardware went, but that usually isn't necessary with the parts in chronological order. I have several bins with spare parts/bolts that are job-specific, such as all the hardware for a front axle (I do keep the lids on those).

I keep several of these parts bins (or similar) around, I pull the lid off (it just gets in the way) and keep parts in order from first off to last. I've gone so far as to photograph the part in the truck and then the bin where the hardware went, but that usually isn't necessary with the parts in chronological order. I have several bins with spare parts/bolts that are job-specific, such as all the hardware for a front axle (I do keep the lids on those).

Good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom