1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which amby door is right???

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Klunky Chris, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

I'm trying to figure out which abulance door is the *correct* year for my new 77.

If you look in the picture, the right door window is recessed but the left isn't. I didn't even notice this until a friend (darn him..) pointed it out to me. He isn't even a cruiser guy....
    [​IMG]
    I *believe* that the hardtop and doors are right? or not?
    [​IMG]

2. HeepKrushr

HeepKrushr

I am pretty sure the 77 hardtop is supposed to have vent wing windows - at least mine does

Could the difference in rear windows be an aftermarket rubber seal that is different (passenger side), because I was not aware of any amby door differences thru the years.

Hope this helps

Krushr

3. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

yea...
    I think the top is not original. It is red inside and that and appears to be the original paint. I too thought that the 77 top should have vent windows...

The left amby door looks factory red, and the right one was obviously repainted. (The red is chipping off inside and is the correct OD Brown underneath)
    I *think* the right door is the correct one for the year.

The front doors are factory red but I *think* correct for the year.

It looks like someone got a good top and doors that were red and tried to paint the rest of the cruiser to match. ::)

There is a difference in the amby doors though. Pretty sure it isnt a window gasket.

here is a better pic:

[​IMG]

4. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

5. osteology

osteology

My early '78 (feb I think) doors look like the driver side in your pic. - not recessed, gasket flush with the door.

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

all I know is my 82's doors are like the one on the left, I'll look at a set of 77 doors in the garage but I think they are the same as the 82.

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

My 77 has vent windows and doors that look like the driver side (Not recessed)

8. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

My 76 has non recessed windows. It has the original top and doors. Looks like the driver's side.

9. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

My 77 has doors like the drivers side too.

10. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Looking at it, the window holes seem to be the same size. Is it possible that they are the same, but the glass and gasket are wrong. Maybe the PO couldn't find the right replacement. Just a thought. It's obvious the top was changed because you should have the vent windows.

11. or he just could of changed the glass cause that top looks awfully stock to me. And about that door they seem the same and Romer i agree with ya on that one for what its worth........also nice grateful dead bear ;)

12. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

yea, I gotta scrape that dancing bear off before I get yanked for a drug search ::)

This door thing is freakin' me out..... From the sound of it you all like the drivers (left) door as the stock 77, but the PS (right) door is the factory color underneath!
    The top can't be original for this truck as its red and not repainted AFAIK.

I'm not a stickler, but as the doors don't match, I was thinking of trying to hunt down another *correct* one. I'm trying to get this thing back to stock'ish configuration...

It doesn't seem like this could just be a window gasket thing, but I don't know....

13. plan66

plan66

The difference between ambi doors I've seen is that the early ones have all four corners square, whereas the newer doors have the bottom outer corner rounded. I guess newer bodied trucks (post '79) have a different rear sill. Not sure on the years though since my truck was retrofitted with a newer top, old style front doors, and rear ambulance doors by the PO.

My first thought was that the right door had the window and seal installed inside out. But the shape of the seal still doesn't look right. ???

14. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

[quote author=plan66 link=board=1;threadid=13171;start=msg121579#msg121579 date=1079387165]
    The difference between ambi doors I've seen is that the early ones have all four corners square, whereas the newer doors have the bottom outer corner rounded. I guess newer bodied trucks (post '79) have a different rear sill. [/quote]

heh.... well.... neither door really has enough left on the bottom to make a good guess about round vs. square ::)

15. Landpimp

Landpimp

SOR shows the window weather strip is the same 75-84. I will look at some lit when I get home...........but I really think its just installed wrong, prolly had the glass cut at a glass shop or something, used a generic WS or bqackwards or ??

John H

16. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm with pimp that it appears to be some kind of generic W/S if you pull the windows you'll see or I'm betting they (the door with recess) will be the same..

17. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    also it looks like you can see the cut in the W/S center, bottom of the window....

18. Landpimp

Landpimp