Which alternator do I have (40, 45, 55 amp)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '83 FJ60 has been steadily starting harder and showing lower and lower voltage readings at the dash. If I pull a battery cable while running she dies. So, I need an alternator or regulator. I seem to have an "integrated" alternator in that it's not fender mounted (but strangely still seems to be independently replaceable). It's the IC type.

1. I called around looking for a regulator (why a regulator? see 2.). Everyone wants to know if I have a 40, 45, or 55 amp alternator. I don't know, it appears to be an aftermarket from Orange County Amplifier; no Toyota markings on it. I'd prefer not to have to buy a whole alternator if I don't have to, particularly if it's just because I don't know how big mine is. How do I know which I need? Toyota wants me to read the part number off of it, which I of course don't have.

2. Is it really the regulator? I ran the FSM checks that seemed to point to the regulator, but there were indications that it might be the alternator as well. Is there a better fault isolation for this?

3. Can I even drop a, say, remanufactured Toyota regulator into an aftermarket alternator?

4. If I buy an alternator (I'm looking at toyota remanufactured if I do), will it come with a regulator? I've heard people say yes, and I've heard people say no.

Thanks! I'm trying to pick up a hitch to tow some landscaping equipment this weekend that I'm renting, and I'm really hoping to not have to sit it out. I'm also hoping I can fix this before my battery completely dies from the stress. :)

It's hard to tell what you have now since you don't have a toyota alternator. The parts microfiche shows that either the 40, 45 or 55 A was available in the US for the 1983 FJ-60. However, only the 55A alternator has the IC type voltage regulator (that's how I decided which alternator to purchase for my truck). When I purchased my new 55A alternator from Toyota, it did not come with the regulator. Also you need to make sure the regulator is clocked on the correct side of the alternator. The alternator that came with my truck had the regulator mounted on the engine side of the alternator. It prevented full movement of the alternator in it's braket and made removing & replacing pulley belts a real pain. The one I got from toyota was on the correct side of the alternator.

There are two questions:

1. What part(s) are failing?
2. If it's the alt, which one to purchase as a replacement?

Re #1 - I'd go to a reputable local parts store, and have them test your alt. Usually they can do this for free. I think they can distinguish between a failing alt and a failing reg.

Re #2 - I'm a little less confident on this one, but if I was in your situation, and a reputable shop said it was the alt that was failing, I'd purchase a reman'd alt from that same shop, and (before driving off) confirm that it looked to be something that would fit. Actually, I might just install it right there in the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom