Which 80 has solid axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanna be clear on this. What years have the solid front axle, and the better, more powerfull engine than the earlier models?:beer:

1991 thru 1997 all have a solid front and rear axle

1991 - 1992 have the weaker 3FE motor, 93+ is the better one

95+ is actually the better one. :D

All joking aside, I just bought a 40th Anniversary, and will be selling my '94. I drive them side-by-side, and cannot decide which one I like better. The 97 is much more refined. I hate the electric seats on the 97. I'll have to do the seat mod for enough room. My old manual seats were MUCH better. I haven't taken the 97 off-road yet, but it's got lockers, so I'm pretty stoked there.

I guess my point is that the 94 certainly feels more "truck-like."

why? Because it's OBD 2 instead of OBD 1? :flipoff2:

In mid 95 they upgraded the computer. It's much better and faster. This really comes in handy if you ever supercharge. The older computers slow response time makes those trucks run lean with a blower, that can lead to damage.

The OBD II is nice with a scanner/reader. I can drive around and monitor at least 16 data points real time.

1991 - 1992 have the weaker 3FE motor, 93+ is the better one[/quote]

weaker? or less powerful? its a matter of how you use the words

to set your mind totally at rest every single 80 ever built had a solid front axle including the 1990 models coming into canada from japan and the 98+ models built in venezuela.

1995 gave the 80 series a face lift with new front grill,exterior badging and interior trim revisions.As far as the deisel models go it also saw the adoption of the 24valve motor (1HD-FT) in place of the old 12 valver (1HD-T).

there was a tranny change in 1995 as well.

I understand some of the early '93 models, as well as the 91-92 had a semi-floating rear axle and drum brakes.

I understand some of the early '93 models, as well as the 91-92 had a semi-floating rear axle and drum brakes.

all north american 91-92s and poverty pack 93-94s had the semifloater/drums on the rear. poverty pack 93-94s are very rare though. not more than a handful have ever surfaced here.

the jdm's have full floating rears going back to 1990 and lockers too, which did not appear until 93 in north america

all north american 91-92s and poverty pack 93-94s had the semifloater/drums on the rear. poverty pack 93-94s are very rare though. not more than a handful have ever surfaced here.]

Does that rarity make my 94 with semi-floater rear axle worth more?

all north american 91-92s and poverty pack 93-94s had the semifloater/drums on the rear. poverty pack 93-94s are very rare though. not more than a handful have ever surfaced here.
Does that rarity make my 94 with semi-floater rear axle worth more?

Did it come from the factory that way?

-Spike

correct me if I am wrong ( i am sure someone will)
I thought all landcruisers (back to the beggining of time) had/have solid axles
(Except for the newer 100s :frown: .......the beginning of the end, so sad)

better look after your 80......it might be your last.

Does that rarity make my 94 with semi-floater rear axle worth more?[/QUOTE]

sadly no, but i'd be curious to see some photos of the front knuckle housing/ rotor and caliper and the t-case if you ever get them exposed. I've always wondered whether the poverty packs got the 93-97 rotor/caliper or the smaller 91-92 setup, and whether they got the viscous slip t-case or the other one. my fsm mentions both t-cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom