which 70 series to buy? ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aotearoa - New Zealand, land of hobbits and The Al
I'm modding my BJ40 to improve on-road handling - looking to add coiled suspension, disk-brakes and power steering.

I'm not an off-roader so she'll be used for on-road with occasional forresty tracks to go mountain-biking, beaches for kayaking / dropping the boat into the water / wakeboarding / taking the pooch for a run, mountain for ski.

I'm guessing that my dream 40 would be with 4.2 litre turbo'd (and intercooled) HD-T, 5-speed manual gearbox (or automatic if I can get dash-mounted or column-mounted), coiled suspension, disk brakes and power-steering. Slight suspension lift and a set of 37's purely for the look :rolleyes:

I only want to have to do this once and then just drive the damned thing for the next 40 years - by which time I'll be about ready to be buried in the thing! :lol:

In New Zealand spare parts aren't as easy to come by as for you guys in the US.

So doing the mods individually starts to cost too much.

After reading about some of the FZJ40 builds, I started thinking about getting a wrecked 80 series rolling chassis and simply chopping the chassis and plonking on the 40 body. That way everything (kinda) just works (and I get to have an HD-T engine too :)).

Then a dismantler suggested that the Prado / 70 series would be farrrrrrr cheaper and a better idea as it gives a manual 5-speed gearbox with lockers (front and rear). Plus the 80 axles are a bit wide on the 40 body. I thought that 70's didn't come with solid-axle and had leaf-springs but am told otherwise ...

I've spent a fair bit of time today trying to find out as much as I can about these things (wiki, google and mud are my friends!) but think I've just about managed to confuse myself completely!

So, the questions are:

1. what the heck are lockers and why would I need them?
  2. I understand that some of the lockers can be engaged from inside the cab. Laziness makes this appealing. Are there any reason to avoid this and go for the manual option instead?
  3. which models / years did the 70's come with lockers (and internal controls)?
  4. I think I need a xZJ78 for the right wheelbase (still to decided but looking for 98-104 inches for improved road-ride). Is that right?
  5. I'll probably keep the 3B motor that's in the 40: is there a model of the 70 series that came with a 3B-compatible turbo and intercooler or an alternative diesel engine that gets better performance while maintaining economy?
  6. coils vs leaf-sprung: what should I be looking for and which models / years?
Appreciate that's a lot of questions - have tried searching this place and can't find clarity - so appreciate any help offered - even if it's just a link or point me in the general direction ;o)

Cheers.

Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to retro fit your 40 with new OME suspension, including shocks and stabilizer ?

And I see zero reason other than bling for you to have lockers - but if you want bling go with Arb !

Plus lockers either engage themselves or are selectable from inside the cab , I dont know of any lockers that you need to get out and engage - unless you are refering to manual hubs ? But that is another thing alltogether.

Welcome to the fabulous world of the 70 series cruiser!

Lockers. This term usually refers to a locking differential. Front hubs have to lock when in 4WD so this is where the confusion comes. A locking differential is the answer to the problem where you have one wheel of the axle spinning in mud while the other wheel doesn't turn even though it's sitting on dry gravel. All locking diffs will have in-cab engagement, unless they're permanently engaged ("spooled") or there's a computer managing that ("traction control").

There are manual locking front wheel hubs, and electronically engaged hub locks, too. There are plenty of discussions here about the merits of both.

The Prado line was designated as light duty line whereas the regular 70 series was more heavy duty. The prados has coil front springs long before the regular 70s did.

I hope some the other guys can answer your other questions.

Dennis

toynut - if in the US then probably you're right. But in NZ I'd have to cover freight too. Then apply the exchange rate - which only applies to expenses but alas not to income - and it quickly gets :censor:kin'spensive!

And I'd still be left with the need for power steering, disk brakes and 5-speed manual. Which would mean time to consider selling child #2!!! ;o)

Dennis - thanks for that explanation - now it's all clear. Thank you indeed, sir.

I think lockers are definitely going to be bling and not a necessity for my intended driving.

Thanks guys.

*** Heads back to www.trademe.co.nz (our NZ version of ebay) to find Prados ***

So a BJ40 suits your needs apart from it not riding as nice as you need it to?

Some suggestions based on type and budget...

A BJ74 comes with either auto or 5speed gearbox, turbo diesel 13BT, 100inch wheelbase, some are lucky enough to have factory manual cable lockers and all have manual locking hubs, also has a very cool removable FRP top, all have leaf springs at either end.

A FJ73 is the same except has a 4.0 six petrol engine. A BJ73 is the same with a 3B Naturally aspirated diesel engine. A BJ71 is the same except the wheelbase is 90inchs (12inchs shorter) and comes as a full bodied hardtop. BJ70 is the same as a BJ71 with the 3B engine.

Now you mentioned putting a 40body on a 80series chassis. The closest 70series to this is going to be the HDJ79. This is a ute (which could be a good thing to cart all the mountain bikes around?) Comes with coil spring suspension in the front with leaf springs in the rear, and also comes with the 1HDT 6cyl turbo diesel engine factory fitted. However this is a very desirable landcruiser and comes with an appropriate price tag.

You can also get a HDJ78 which is the same as above except in a 2door wagon configuration, known as a troopy, or troopcarrier. You will have to either get a (new) VDJ76 which is a 8cyl turbo diesel to get a 4door wagon version, or opt for some of the much rarer japanese imports which offer older 4 door versions (I dont know much about these but i think the end in 76/77 model codes and come with different types of engines HZJ PZJ etc.

You can also get the utes and troopys with coil front supsension but with naturally aspirated 1HZ diesels, the HZJ79 and the HZJ78. Which come with considerably lower price tags.

In saying this, I still dont really get what you are asking? If you are asking for a vehcile with turbo diesel engine, solid axles, slightly longer wheelbase, coils at either end, powersteering, disk brakes at either end, in a wagon configuration, why not just get an 80series?

How about a KZJ78? Its a 70 series Land Cruiser Prado, it has front beam axel and has coil springs all round for comfort. the 1kz-te 3L diesel has pretty good torque for its size, just make sure you the car cooling system is up to speed with maintenance.

coil sprung 70s are the Light Duty Playdo versions.:p
ARBs are s*** (not the s***z):mad:
you can only get rear locker in a Playdo, front lockers were never an option.

IF i was to do your build, i would locate a LJ70/71 and strip the body. Then i would install a PZ or HZ engine. Dobbinson lift. fiberglass 40 tub and parts. done.:clap:

but in reality it would be cheaper and make much more sense to just by a BJ/HZ 73/74 or ragtop 70, mild lift and drive it. basicly the 70 ragtop is just a 40 with different sheet metal.:hmm:

like this:
IMG_2895.JPG
Picture 071.jpg
Picture 002.jpg

Gib - thanks for that wealth of info. Unfortunately an 80 series was outside of my budget. Plus, one of the things about the FJ40 is that they just have a cool retro look.

I know the hardcore offroaders out there will want to behead me for being so superficial - but hey that's just the way it is - especially as this was always going to be a bit of a fun project ;o)

Ginzu - have been looking at a KZJ78 today for all the reasons you mentioned. Still finding it a bit difficult to establish the difference between the 70 and Prado series (which years had what, etc., ...) but slowly getting there.

Crushers - what took you so long? Thought you'd be first cab off the rank, sir! :)

At the moment it's looking like my best options (given availability in NZ) are a rolling 80 series chassis or a fully running KZJ78. Either option will cost $3500 or there abouts.

I agree with you about the 40 series look. One of my ultimate rides would be a 45 series body on a HDJ80 chassis.

If the HDJ80 is out of your budget also look at some HZJ or FZJ80's. Ive seen some high km examples going really cheap in aus, probably the same deal in NZ. Im only saying this because a project like a 40series body on an 80 chassis would not come cheap if you cant do all of the work yourself.

The main difference between the 'light duty' landcruisers, (bunderas/prados) is the size of the running gear. For example bunderas have hilux (8inch) sized diffs and coil springs wheras landcruisers have full size (9.5inch) landcruiser diffs and bigger gearboxs and leaf springs. Also the engine options have been less desirable... For example the full size landcruisers get big 3.4 turbo diesels and big 4.0 petrols where bunderas get smaller 2.4L petrol and turbo diesel engines that tend to have to be worked hard and overheat.

However I also think it would be a waste of time changing from a SWB 40 series to a SWB 70series because they are pretty much identical mechanically with a few things added on for comfort.

It looks like the japanese import prados seem to fit the bill for you. Just do your homework on some of the engine options because some of them have a bad reputation for reliability.

(pickup not included)
LD 7* series land Cruiser:
small front diff
small rear diff
rear elec locker only
4.9 LJ / 4.3 KZ
2.29 split case t/case
R series tranny
L.R.KZ engines
Coil sprung
same frame strength
same tub metal
smaller dimension front clip

HD 7* series Land Cruiser (1990 to 98):
small front diff (pre 1990 had large front diff)
elec lockers front and rear available (pre 1990 had cable versions)
large rear diff
4.11/3.70 early
1.96 or 2.29 split case t/case
H or R series tranny
B PZ HZ engines
leaf sprung
same frame strength
same tub metal
larger dimension front clip

HD 7* series Land Cruiser (1998 +):
small front diff
elec locker rear available
large rear diff
split case t/case
H or R series tranny
HZ HDT engines
leaf sprung rear / coil front
same frame strength
same tub metal

this help?

Last edited:
see - bloody font of knowledge, that Wayne bloke is! Thanks fella - the coils of the LD7* would win over the HD. H series gearbox would be nice for when I can eventually afford the HD-T engine but I guess that can wait until I get the engine.

Right - now it's time for bed. G'night all and thanks for all your help :D

THe kzj78 is the 1990 -1995 land cruiser prado. KZJ78 has the 1kz-te 3L diesel motor in it and the diff is not the same as the hilux surf as people think it has. its stronger than the hilux stuff of its time, but maybe not as strong as the big brother land cruisers. there is also the LJ78 which has the same body as the KZJ78 but in the gutless 2.4L diesel. both engine has Alloy head hence the well known of head problem when the engine is overheated and hence i said make sure u look for one that has good sounding cooling system and maintenance.

I know we're on an American website but ... er ... it's alumin-I-um! :flipoff2:

After all is said and done - I think I'm going to go the 80 series route (if I can find one for a reasonable price) with the KZJ78 as a viable alternative. Will try to find an H151f manual gearbox to mate with the HD-T engine.

Thanks for all the input guys: I hated school but love the stuff I learn from this site :)

HD 7* series Land Cruiser (1990 to 98):
small front diff (pre 1990 had large front diff)
elec lockers front and rear available (pre 1990 had cable versions)
large rear diff
4.11/3.70 early
1.96 or 2.29 split case t/case
H or R series tranny
B PZ HZ engines
leaf sprung
same frame strength
same tub metal

this help?

Hey crushers According to your info my 1991 HZJ73 would have a small front diff because only pre 1990 got the large front diff.
Im pretty sure it has a 9in front diff tho. or am i wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom