Which 60s Starter would you buy??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do not know......Seems the Toyota parts warranty is 12 months....is that right?
Toyota parts which are distributed by Toyota Motor North America and sold from, but not installed, by an authorized Toyota dealership are covered for 12 months from the date of purchase. Parts that were sold and installed by an authorized Toyota dealership are warranted 12 months or 12,000 miles from date of installation.

My AC Delco is 24 months was made here in the US not China (they made that very clear). It is working just fine and cost me a heck of a lot less than a Toyota starter. I still have my reman Toyota starter as a spare.

Were the factory starters on US 60 series gear reduction type?

Yes they were . Ok after around 1985

Thanks John.

Mine sure sounds like a gear reduction unit. Did not know if it was original.

I regret we did not make the SAS this year _ been a year with major expenses so had to makes choices. Would like to get to know you better.

^^^
SAS4. Hope to see you there.

Honestly, I think the Toyota remans have become prohibitively expensive. You might consider finding a local quality rebuilder and having yours rebuilt, prolly for $100 or so.

I would do the research on the rebuilder before dropping it off, I have one that is close to where I live, rebuild pretty much anything for 100 with a 1 year warrantee but he only replaces whats bad on the item. if the contacts are no good on the starter you get new contacts and a fresh silver paint job, nothing more nothing less. fast turnaround time but not really a rebuild, just a repair

Early FJ60s had conventional starter, changing to the modern GR unit around 1985.

My 84 came with the gear reduction starter and I've never seen an FJ60 of any year with anything else. So I'd say '81 at least all were gear reduction. Rebuilding these is dead simple. New contacts , spring, ball and plunger and GTG for many thousands of miles.

I would do the research on the rebuilder before dropping it off, I have one that is close to where I live, rebuild pretty much anything for 100 with a 1 year warrantee but he only replaces whats bad on the item. if the contacts are no good on the starter you get new contacts and a fresh silver paint job, nothing more nothing less. fast turnaround time but not really a rebuild, just a repair

Certainly, I would only go to a rebuilder where you could talk to the owner and ask them to rebuild the unit as though it were going on their daughter's car ...

My 84 came with the gear reduction starter and I've never seen an FJ60 of any year with anything else. So I'd say '81 at least all were gear reduction.
My mistake for not researching 1st. I was thinking it was a 3F improvement that came along in 84-85 period. To be precise, the 2F was upgraded to a GR starter for MY1983.

Have you tried what RockDoc suggested and put in new contacts? It's fixed several starters for me with that symptom. In fact, it has never failed me. Four for four.

28100-60070-84

denso6666.jpg

This starter was out in less than 10 months ago...and my truck has sat for almost that entire time. I think it's just junk...and still under warranty. I'm just gnna do a $240 reman and say **** it...rather pay $140+ extra for smthn that works.

What starter did you put in that quickly failed ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom