Whew! Dodged a bullet... Intake Manifold Related

Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
687
Location
Savannah, GA
Well, not really, but close.

I have been having idling issues for a couple of weeks now. I changed the fuel filter, replaced a bunch of vacuum lines, checked all my carb linkages, checked my choke. Then today I changed my oil and decided to do the "carb cleaner spray test" for a cracked intake manifold or intake leak... needless to say, the RPMs picked up after spraying. I was bummed. Then I remembered I hadn't changed out the vacuum lines nearest to the intake manifold. I checked them and they were indeed in need of replacing. I did... and did the spray test again... no RPM pickup. I was happy.

So, make sure you check those lines if you are having issues...

P.S. I had more trouble lining up the rear bolt for the base of the air cleaner than I did in getting to all those pesky vac lines on the passenger side of the carb.
 
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
1,374
Location
Santa Cruz Mtns
 
 
 
jhstatts - A newbie to the landcruiser world so, please excuse the basic question.

Do you have any pics showing where these lines or? Or a quick description of these tube locations? I have successfully replaced 90% of the hoses under the hood but still hace that remaining 10% and think this may be part of the idle issue.

Also, do you know where the "common crack" occurs near or on the intake manifold. I have what sounds like an exhaust lead but cant really tell where the noise is coming from. It sounds like its coming from right under the hood around the manfold so, its either a manifold leak or maybe this "common crack" (I think, but just trying to narrow down the optoins) I keep hearing about this infamous issue but cannot find info.
 
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
687
Location
Savannah, GA
dtrain... the lines I mentioned are on the passenger side of the carb next to the manifold (they are hard to see/get to without removing the entire air cleaner assembly, both top and bottom pieces). There are four lines going into the carb. Mine were dry rotted from the heat.

As for the crack... I guess it could form anywhere along the manifold, so I really can't help you there. A quick check is to spray carb cleaner near the base of the carb and intake manifold area with your truck idling... if the RPMs increase, then you have a vacuum leak. I'd do the spray test after you've changed out ALL vac lines on the carb.

Sorry I have no pics. Good luck.
 
Top Bottom