Where's your favorite place to mount a CB radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In dash?

Under the ashtray behind the gear****?

Overhead console?

Center console?

And what about your antenna? I know high center mount is the best, but I hate the way it looks and would rather have detachable antenna mount either on the hood or on the rear fender....

Getting my CB installed this Saturday...I'm excited to come up with a goofy 70s-style disco handle....

Small Midland unit, mounted on the lower dash to the left of the gearshift, next to my right knee. It's not in the way and I can see the display and controls easily.
The antenna is mounted on the fender about halfway down, same with my VHF/UHF but on the other side. No, it's not the optimum position, but heavy trees and bush is the norm up here. It's way easier to keep my eye on them, I've seen too many roof units lost to the branches.:whoops:
Later this winter I'm going to run some cable from the corners of the bush bar to mounts above the A pillar, this should ward off most of the branches from the antennas and snorkel.

I have a big giant cobra sucker that sticky taped to the dash, right above the heater controls. I am waiting for a over head console to show up to move the unit up. I have my antanas off the front fenders ( yes, that is speeled righ. I use two on each side and are hooked in together.) I have some wire cables from the top corners of my custom made front bumper to the roof rack that I will soon be mounting.
I am also going to install a ham radio in the dash.

I monted mine like 82lander. Just took velcro and put one side on the bottom of the CB and the other on the dash. I have it butted up against the side of the guage cluster on top of the dash.

I was not sure about it at first, but I love it now. Easy to reach without looking away from the road.

I have the Cobra 75WX, which is the unit where the whole radio (mostly anyway!) is in the microphone.

There is a small interface box, about 1/2 the size of a deck of cards, that I mounted in dash and the small pigtail sticks out through a hole in the dash.

This way I can keep the "radio" at home until I need it.

Right now I have a mag mount antenna until I can figure out where exactly I want the permanent one. I'm leaning towards putting a bracket that pokes out through the hood crack back close to the windshield, but have not made up my mind yet.

Radio's behind the gear lever below the dash, and antenae's on the bull bar (27mhz AM, UHF, VHF) and on the swinging spare wheel carrier for a HF autotune, with the top of the autotune base at the roofline.

I know the antenae positions arent perfect, and I have had them on roofracks a few times, but its just easier to have them on the bullbar.

Sean

I rarely have anyone in the back seat and even more rarely use the CB. Mine is mounted vertically to the back of my center console. I turn it on, set the channel and forget it. Handle sits on the front of my cupholder in a clip. Antenna is on a tab on the back bumper and bungied to the 1/4 vent so it doesn't alternately slap the hood of the car behind me and my back window. I run a 4' whip with good results. I use a spring at the bottom so it doesn't get beat up to bad. I tried at first with out a spring and that lasted an hour of trail.

Dash ..

int-dash.JPG

Very clean install. I thought about putting mine in the same place. I bought to big of a radio for another truck that I had and sold.
I just used sticky stuff and some wood. I used the wood to level the unit off the dash. It also made a nice place to hid the wires.

Works great.

I ended up installing mine underneath the dash just behind the gearshift -- plenty of room, easy to see/use while driving.

What I can't for the life of me figure out is how to receive decent-sounding transmissions. Mostly all I hear is static, even on channel 17 which I think is the main public chatter station West of the Cascades on the West coast, no?

Do you have a tuneable antenna and a meter to tune it out with. That's what I did to finally get good reception.

You could use mine for free but by the time you ship it all the way there and back you can buy one, very cheap

rotm11.jpg

dash

digcamall354.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom