Where'd You Guys Learn to Weld? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We all want to learn, but how about another day when you don't have so many things to worry about? Those of us coming in from MD will have a long ride back so late in the day, I'm especially thinking of Bmore...

:rolleyes: Dan, there are not many days that I don't have ten things going on at the same time.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited:
If I don't get to do any hand’s on. I'm fine with that I know how to weld ( no expert ) I've got plenty of stuff to weld on the 40. I will let those of you that don't get to weld have there time.
Just want to get some pointers from some others and put faces with names and get out of the house:)

I'm not tripin
Chris

I'll bring my Miller 135

If I don't get to do any hand’s on. I'm fine with that I know how to weld ( no expert ) I've got plenty of stuff to weld on the 40. I will let those of you that don't get to weld have there time.
Just want to get some pointers from some others and put faces with names and get out of the house:)

I'm not tripin
Chris

Chris,

I think you should at least lay down a few beads and break them to see what is going on with your technique. This kind of destructive testing during welding training is a critical eye opening for student welders. What you might think looks like a great weld just come apart with out much effort and another weld that does not look much different has to be torn apart. Part of this is learning what a good weld really looks like.

With at least two machines, we can get guys lined up to run passes and then go on to break them in a vice. This is what you do when you get your certs. If you only do a few you'll learn what do on your own later as you continue learning.

In order to get the most out the time we have, I want to make a check list to go through as a hand out to refer to later. That way we can move through the material quickly and then you guys can go back later to review on your own.

Last edited:
You've got to plan way ahead to get in to NOVA's welding classes. The daytime ones are usually easier to get in to for obvious reasons. Are you sure the class wasn't in Manassas? They just redid the welding lab out there a couple of years ago.

Too bad that Bob Warden the instructor out there passed away, he was a super nice guy.

We put a CLCC class together out there about ten years ago but then we all switched to an adult ed class at Edison High because they were willing to make a separate class for us with a broader focus vs starting with stick at NVCC. Sadly, Fairfax dismantled their welding program just a few classes after we finished. We had a great instructor there, Clive Lugmayer. He was amazing, I was lucky to get a great teacher.

Lets try to get a head count, who coming?

Anyone besides Thornton got a Lincoln, Miller or Hobart 110V machine they can bring along?

I'd like to set up more than one work station.

I'd also like to remind everyone to bring welding gloves, safety glasses, ear plugs, ear muffs, welding shield, natural fiber work gear and dress warmly - no synthetic fabrics! AND No contact lenses.

If you don't want to weld, you can show up to observe but even then, good idea not wear contacts (even though some welders do, until you get the hang of the arc and the mask, not a good idea).

Last edited:
I am in. i have a few questions:

1. Is a welding shield a helmet or an apron or what?
2. By ear muffs do you mean a second typer of hearing protection or is it something else that is beyond my experience?
3. Will standard plastic safety glasses work or is there a special kind for welding?

What is the address we are going to?

thanks,
Dallas

Welding shield is a helmet, a visor, or mask - different names for the same thing.

Secondary ear muffs - like used for shooting.

Regular Safety Glasses

Last edited:
I'm in!
I'm bringing some schedule 40 and some 20 gauge sheet.
I can bring my Lincon 135 do you want flux core or solid?
or I can get a lincon 175? its 220v mys is only 110V?

Last edited:
I'm in. Just need to pick up a mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom