Where to tap 12v for aftermarket head unit ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got around to pulling the dash facades on the ‘93 to run down some wiring issues. The aftermarket stereo has never worked. Looks like a rather ratty job making a harness, but suppose it’s functional. However the power line with a fuseable link, had the fuse blown, was cut, and tucked away.

When folks I stall an aftermarket stereo, where are you picking up power ?

I recently bought a head unit from Crutchfield. They included a free Metra 70-1761, which worked like a charm for bypassing the stock amp. Are you looking to bypass the stock amp, or are you planning on using the stock amp?

The adapter harness is the best way. If your factory wiring is hacked up and you can't use one get yourself a wiring diagram and figure out which wire supplies the 12v constant hot. If that doesn't work then I'd recommend running a new wire back to the battery and putting a fuse there.

I pulled this from my old head unit that the PO had installed. It uses the stock amp and drives all the speakers. If you want it, it’s yours. Just send me a PM.

E03D0838-8A43-4060-AA50-EFE20E808184.jpeg

You can us the factory power source if you want, but there have been plenty of people on here saying that the new headunits may need more amps, so if it isn't drastic increase the fuse if you keep blowing them or what I did was put in a new fuse box for extra stuff and ran power to my head unit that way. I also have that aux fuse box on a breaker so if that trips then i know a lot quicker since the tunes go away and it means all the other stuff on the aux need attending to... could be a fridge etc.

You can us the factory power source if you want, but there have been plenty of people on here saying that the new headunits may need more amps, so if it isn't drastic increase the fuse if you keep blowing them or what I did was put in a new fuse box for extra stuff and ran power to my head unit that way. I also have that aux fuse box on a breaker so if that trips then i know a lot quicker since the tunes go away and it means all the other stuff on the aux need attending to... could be a fridge etc.

True, didn't consider that. Since the factory stereo does not actually power the speakers the 12V feed to it may not be enough amps to power a unit that does. I avoided this issue by running a new external amp but if you're planning on running the internal amp variety you may want to go back to battery or a dedicated fuse box to begin with just to ensure you don't have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom