Where to place electric fuel pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
My 3FJ40 is getting some final touches off the proof-of-concept and I need to permanently install an electric fuel pump. (I've thusfar for testing the rig set it up in the engine bay.) What is the best location (granted as close to the tank as possible) on the 40 to mount/feed it. What is the best practice?

I don't know about the 'best', but I ran some rubber line to the filter, keeping it very close to the tank, and had the filter outlet point backwards, where I ran a large radius curve to aim it back to the front where it plugged into hard line. I ran atleast double the rubber line I needed, but did so just to keep some extra hose on the truck in a tucked away location. If I ever get a split there or anywhere, I could cut off a piece with a pocket knife. I'm planning on mounting a spare fuel pump there aswell so I could flick a switch and change pumps as a safety.

My understanding is, if it is below the level of the tank you should be fine. I have mine mounted on the frame rail in the engine compartment.

electric pumps are most efficient when pushing fluid, not pulling it. As close to the tank as possible, either frame rail or the body-cross rail. You will feel more vibration with a body mounting tho...

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9994;start=msg88883#msg88883 date=1073912440]
electric pumps are most efficient when pushing fluid, not pulling it. As close to the tank as possible, either frame rail or the body-cross rail.
[/quote]

Right now I have it strapped to the inside of the engine bay which is obviously not permanent. Are y'all talking about putting it on the frame rail orthogonal to fuel lines coming out of the tank (mid-section)? or as the earlier reply as to the frame rail inside the engine bay down low?

Were saying the pump should be as close as possible to the tank, so engine bay is completely out. Mine is mounted where it is almost touching the tank, with maybe a 6 or 8 inch piece of hose seperating it and the tank.

3fj40, I'm in Tucson, where are you in Az.? I have 2 pumps, both mounted with the same bolt to the sheet metal 1' tall rib that runs across the underside of the tub, where the rear area starts! Does that make sense? The tub metal is at least 2 ply, and just behind the tank, where the fuel line comes thru to connect to the hard line. I have a 13 gal. aux tank behind the rear axle.
Earl, '74 fj-40, p/s, a/c, 70,000 mi. :beer:

Mine is mounted to a tapped head hole just above the dist. zero vibration, works fine. It is temporary until I get around to fixin my mech. pump.

[quote author=aZ..fj-40 link=board=1;threadid=9994;start=msg89298#msg89298 date=1073962000]
I'm in Tucson, where are you in Az.?
[/quote]

I'm in North Scottsdale area, though I sure do envy you in Tucson...I love it there.

and just behind the tank, where the fuel line comes thru to connect to the hard line. I have a 13 gal. aux tank behind the rear axle.

I also have a `botched' (not really botched, just not in the quality that I'd have it...PO had it put in...by a reputable shop no-less) aux tank system with a very interesting fuel switch. The hard lines have been truncated back to the frame area, and I'm looking at simply just starting over and routing my own fuel lines, eradicating the hard lines and running my own.

The other `interesting' part is that I have to be able to handle much greater flow and pressure due to the EFI that the 3F-E requires. Did you just drill/tap holes in the underside?

[quote author=3fj40 link=board=1;threadid=9994;start=msg89385#msg89385 date=1073968178]
I'm in North Scottsdale area, though I sure do envy you in Tucson...I love it there.I also have a `botched' (not really botched, just not in the quality that I'd have it...PO had it put in...by a reputable shop no-less) aux tank system with a very interesting fuel switch. The hard lines have been truncated back to the frame area, and I'm looking at simply just starting over and routing my own fuel lines, eradicating the hard lines and running my own.

The other `interesting' part is that I have to be able to handle much greater flow and pressure due to the EFI that the 3F-E requires. Did you just drill/tap holes in the underside?
[/quote]

I must've had the same PO. I re-ran all my lines from 2 tanks. Used one pump and added inline filters which makes it a little long from the rear tank, but works great.

I used stainless steel braid and russel fittings to make sure it would hold higher pressure if I change to EFI.

[quote author=Dingleberry link=board=1;threadid=9994;start=msg89828#msg89828 date=1074026687]
I used ... russel fittings to make sure it would hold higher pressure if I change to EFI.
[/quote]

Call me stupid: what are russel fittings? Like these?

http://store3.yimg.com/I/hm-performance_1776_5892123

compression-type fittings specifically for the automotive application....AKA, expensive.

BTW: AN-type fittings are the very expensive version of JIC/37 fittings from Parker...saved me a pile on my fuel cell install....

3fj40, This is Earl in Tucson, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the flange, and used a single 1/4" bolt to mount both,( round, standard 3-5psi auto zone pumps, to the flange. I use a double throw switch, center off, which makes a good stolen car stopper, it will run about a half a block, and run out of gas!!! My setup is a little strange also, as the rear tank dosn't vent to the charcoal canister. Earl

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9994;start=msg90019#msg90019 date=1074048679]
compression-type fittings specifically for the automotive application....AKA, expensive.

BTW: AN-type fittings are the very expensive version of JIC/37 fittings from Parker...saved me a pile on my fuel cell install....
[/quote]

What's parker? I'm tired of spending so much on these fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom