Where to get new front diff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m in central AR. It’s currently sitting at a shop in Cabot. Were you able to get your work done around here?

I will get in touch with the shop that installed the CV axles. They seem to be a likely culprit since I had the front diff fluid changed out a month ago. The shop it’s at said the diff may be repairable but I think it might be best to just get a new one. I’m sure I’d still gonna have to pay labor cost even if they can’t repair it.

I did most of my own work except for packing up the 3rd member and sending it out to Zuk in AZ for him to install the Harrop. Zuk returned the upgraded differential and I installed it. We shipped the 3rd member back and forth in a double packed box with expandable foam. Zuk provides very detailed instructions for packing and shipping 3rd members. Based on comments from here and other Toyota sites, I can safely say that Zuk is one of the best diff builders in the country.

I would press the shop to do an accurate diagnosis. Hopefully, the problem is with the c-clips or at the splines or wheel flange.

What type of CV axles were installed? I'm in Conway BTW.

If things don't go well with the shop, I know a guy in Searcy who really knows Cruisers. In fact, I have bought several parts from a 100 series part out that he had going last winter. It might be worth getting to know him since you are roughly 30 minutes away. I will send you a PM.

Here's the packed 3rd member from shipping.

1600524799938.png

I did most of my own work except for packing up the 3rd member and sending it out to Zuk in AZ for him to install the Harrop. Zuk returned the upgraded differential and I installed it. We shipped the 3rd member back and forth in a double packed box with expandable foam. Zuk provides very detailed instructions for packing and shipping 3rd members. Based on comments from here and other Toyota sites, I can safely say that Zuk is one of the best diff builders in the country.

I would press the shop to do an accurate diagnosis. Hopefully, the problem is with the c-clips or at the splines or wheel flange.

What type of CV axles were installed? I'm in Conway BTW.

If things don't go well with the shop, I know a guy in Searcy who really knows Cruisers. In fact, I have bought several parts from a 100 series part out that he had going last winter. It might be worth getting to know him since you are roughly 30 minutes away. I will send you a PM.

Here's the packed 3rd member from shipping.

View attachment 2439926
I agree with the popular sentiment about gearinstalls.com.
Easiest person in the world to deal with, documents every step and communicates clearly and often!

Call cruiseroutfitters and tell them what you want to do. If you just want it fixed I’m sure they have stock gears available. They will be the best deal. Zuk @ gearinstalls is great but he is literally double the price per diff. $200 vs $410 each iirc

Just as everyone else has suggested, it does look like improper axle side seal installation. In that case the place that installed you CV axles should get it right for you.

@gregnash pointed out the two best options you have for a replacement. For reference, earlier this summer I had a parts recycler ship a used front diff to Zuk @ gearinstalls.com and for addition $2000 (roughly) he installed a Harrops e locker in it and refreshed all the seals and bearings etc.

I do have a spare front diff if you end up buying one.

You were spot on! The shop called today and told me the point of failure was the CV axle side seal. I called the shop that did the install and they are sending a flatbed to pick it up in tomorrow morning and they’re gonna fix it. Thanks to everyone for the help, you guys rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom