Where to get good deals on Toyota Factory Extended Warranty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's listed in my post, "The vehicle must still be under original factory 3yr/36k mile warranty to qualify."
It looks like there's an exception if it's used as well. Or, I could be reading it incorrectly. I have a 2016 w/ 36,600 miles, I was going to call on Monday to ask about the warranty options.

-Chris

Just an FYI...

I bought my 200 just out of factory warranty but it had the platinum warranty financed by the previous owner still active. He wanted more $$$ for the sale if he transferred the warranty (as he still owed on it). I worked a deal with Jennifer where we were able to cancel the initial (PO’s) warranty and add a longer platinum warranty for less than half of what the PO paid.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I was able to do this because it was still under a CPO warranty.

The brochure posted in this thread says the extended warranty transfers.

That is a very big deal because it means with that extended warranty the truck is worth more than without it.

March 17, 2018
Just wanted to thank you all for recommending Jennifer at Elite Toyota in zip 48161 for a Platinum VSA.
Yes, some dealers across the US said that Toyota will NOT allow them to sell me an out of state VSA, but I was able to get prices from Jerry J ($500 more than Jennifer) , Jennifer, and Brian at Pedersen Toyota in Fort Collins ( ~ same as Jennifer, but he's impossible to get on the phone...),... so I went with Jennifer for 8 year/ 125k miles on a 2018 Prius for $1,570. She was always available by phone or email. She basically told me (which sounds like it could be true) that they can sell me the VSA if I contact them, and that the Toyota dealers are not allowed to openly solicit or advertise these out-of-state VSAs. It's still a scam by Toyota, as I could have paid $1,300 more for this VSA at my local dealer, and then move out of state the next day near Jennifer's Toyota dealership. Anyway,...thanks for saving me a ton of dough!

Just wondering, consumer reports (“CR”) says don’t buy an extended warranty on a Toyota because it’s such a reliable brand you will not recover the cost. Thinking that applies 10x to LC’s.

Dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty based on the fact I was planning on actually using my LC off road but I just said “no thanks”. Because I doubt it would cover off road damage like he started to tell me and the fact CR said don’t buy.

What say the experience of the group? Should I rethink this? I keep Fords and Volvo’s ten years at least. God only knows how long I will keep a LC. I will say Ford got screwed on my extended warranty I bought from them.

When I was selling a 2009 4runner, the buyer liked the fact that I still had the platinum warranty and that it was transferable for a $50 fee. The buyer wanted to spend $125 to have me bring my forerunner down to the local dealership and have a full inspection done on it. The dealer found that some type of fancy suspension system for the 2009 forerunner support was leaking really bad and they wanted $2400 to fix it. As it turned out, that was covered under my platinum warranty, and It Didn’t cost me a dime, and I was able to get it fixed and sell my forerunner. So for me, that platinum warranty certainly paid off!. Again you may have a car eight years and want to sell it, and it’s so much nicer for a buyer to buy a car that has a good Toyota warranty on it.

Just wondering, consumer reports (“CR”) says don’t buy an extended warranty on a Toyota because it’s such a reliable brand you will not recover the cost. Thinking that applies 10x to LC’s.

Dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty based on the fact I was planning on actually using my LC off road but I just said “no thanks”. Because I doubt it would cover off road damage like he started to tell me and the fact CR said don’t buy.

What say the experience of the group? Should I rethink this? I keep Fords and Volvo’s ten years at least. God only knows how long I will keep a LC. I will say Ford got screwed on my extended warranty I bought from them.

Search, there are several threads on this.

Buying a 200-series - what are common repairs and would you buy an extended warranty?

My post a while back, and there have been more warranty repairs since then.

We had the Toyota extended warranty rolled into the sale of the vehicle when purchased in 2014.

FWIW, here is a list of what has been replaced under warranty.

• Rear KDSS cylinder, leaking, $1409.25
  • Rear driveshaft, clunking (T-SB-0117-08), invoice did not list a cost.
  • Engine idler pulley, making noise when cold, $189.88
  • Blower motor, making noise when cold, $535.21
  • Leaking transfer case at companion flange seal, $356.50
For us it has been worth having.

My opinion, the 200 has not been as reliable as past Toyotas. Items failing that usually for the brand are non-issues. It is a fabulous vehicle, but as it becomes more complex, it is more susceptible to failure.

Mathematically, there is no vehicle that an extended warranty should be purchased for. Look at the extended warranty as insurance, because that's what it is. The premiums paid for the coverage must collect more revenue than the claims pay out otherwise the warranty company goes broke. Whether you're buying a Toyota branded warranty or any of the multitude of other aftermarket warranties, the economics still apply.
Not to say that the peace of mind is not worth it for you, and not to say that some people don't get their money's worth out of them, but as a whole, the warranty company pays out less in claims than it takes in in premiums.

Much different topic, but I thought I'd mention that for those that have newer trucks and want to extend the Toyota Care for maintenance beyond the 25,000 miles you get free, the above mentioned Jennifer at Elite Motor Mall sells the Toyota Care Plus pre-paid maintenance plans for up to 75,000 miles at competitive prices. With it, you can take your truck in every 5000 miles for the factory recommended maintenance at no additional cost. Not for everyone for sure, but some may be interested.

Thanks, thats a good idea on the maintenance package depending on the cost. Oil change, tire rotations, fluid changes at 30k and 60k it could be worth it.

Mathematically, there is no vehicle that an extended warranty should be purchased for. Look at the extended warranty as insurance, because that's what it is. The premiums paid for the coverage must collect more revenue than the claims pay out otherwise the warranty company goes broke. Whether you're buying a Toyota branded warranty or any of the multitude of other aftermarket warranties, the economics still apply.
Not to say that the peace of mind is not worth it for you, and not to say that some people don't get their money's worth out of them, but as a whole, the warranty company pays out less in claims than it takes in in premiums.

A warranty is an insurance policy. If you can afford the repairs, it's likely not worth it. But if an out-of-warranty repair would be difficult for you to afford, then you should get it.

I paid $1200-1300 to go from the CPO to 7/100k. I likely would not have bought it if I'd bought the truck new, but with 49k miles on the truck I had peace of mind that any expensive electronics-related issues would be covered while I was still making payments on the vehicle. (When the nav player in my Acura went the part was almost $3500 - something I couldn't have easily paid out of pocket on the LC). On the plus side the VSA covered my radiator before it completely failed, so I've recouped more than half of it with one repair.

Interesting topic. I was quoted absurd prices when I bought my used 200 a few months ago.

I got the same 7/125k $0 deductible Toyota Platinum from Jennifer at Elite last month for the new 200. Same price as before and they made it super easy by just crediting the unused portion of the warranty on my '15 towards the one on the '17. Documents arrived at the house about 5 days later.

Great thread. New to the forum and the 200 club. This is a great forum. Just purchased a 2013 LX with 44k miles over the weekend. Called the local Lexus dealer and they would only sell me a third party warranty since I didn’t buy the car from a Lexus dealer. He told me they would only sell the Lexus warranty at point of sale from the Lexus dealer.

Does anyone know if the contacts listed here (Jennifer and others) can sell me an extended Lexus warranty?

Thanks

Generally speaking, if you're outside of the 3year/36k mile bracket, you're outside of the ability to purchase a Toyota/Lexus extended warranty. When it comes to 3rd party, I really have no idea, but that's probably your only option now.

Welcome to the club, these vehicles are fantastic and frankly your '13 is probably great without a warranty. Perhaps set aside $2000 in an interest bearing account as others have suggested and use that as your repair account. The odds that you won't deplete it by the time you sell are in your favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom