Where to get a good 2F Man-a-fre or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since my F motor is (very) tired and won't pass emissions and leaks like hell... I'm looking at getting a 2F as a replacement. Looked at the Man-a-Fre motor and they look good but $3000?? ouch... but I'm considering it. Are these motors worth the money? What other alternatives to I have? Not too keen on getting a used engine not knowing it's history etc...

Oh and I read the 2F vs Chevy and having had both want a 2F for this one...

For what its worth (FWIW)

I have a rebuilt 2F in my FJ55. The previous owner had it rebuilt by cabe Toyota in California. His total bill was for 5500 which included tax. They gave him a lot of parts at cost too judging from the invoice. Not much of a answer but a good baseline to go off of. I can fax you or scan the invoice for reference.

Ouch, that's steep! With all the people out there who would rather have a SBC than a 2F, I think you could find one for a reasonable price just by finding someone who was moving to a SBC.

5500 is more than I paid for my entire cruiser, and it came with a 2F that runs strong.

I wanted a 2F in my 45, so I bought a well running 60, snagged the drivetrain and a few other goodies and parted the 60. Almost broke even on parts making it almost a freebie drivetrain :D .... needed a new clutch and stuff though, but you get the point.

bull said:
For what its worth (FWIW)

I have a rebuilt 2F in my FJ55. The previous owner had it rebuilt by cabe Toyota in California. His total bill was for 5500 which included tax. They gave him a lot of parts at cost too judging from the invoice. Not much of a answer but a good baseline to go off of. I can fax you or scan the invoice for reference.

5500?? H:eek:LY SH:eek:T that's insane

Mark off road .... he has been doing the hotrod 2f for 10 years.... infact man-a-fre uses his re-builder but just charges more. marksoffroad.net

oh ps call him or pm 65swb45

Junk said:
I wanted a 2F in my 45, so I bought a well running 60, snagged the drivetrain and a few other goodies and parted the 60. Almost broke even on parts making it almost a freebie drivetrain :D .... needed a new clutch and stuff though, but you get the point.

I second Junk's idea. There has never been a better time to pick up rustbucket fj60s with good engines, 4speed and split case. They're good running motors as long as you keep em cool.

The only advantage to rebuilding is the opportunity to balance and align bore, which makes for an incredibly smooth running motor. You pay a premium for that and , IMO it is only worth it if you are SURE you are going to keep the rig for a LONG TIME.

A well-built F engine is a nice thing too. :)

Jasper engines do a good job and you get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, nationwide.

The only advantage to rebuilding is the opportunity to balance and align bore, which makes for an incredibly smooth running motor. You pay a premium for that and , IMO it is only worth it if you are SURE you are going to keep the rig for a LONG TIME.

A well-built F engine is a nice thing too. :)[/QUOTE]

Mark, I'm going to be rebuilding my 2f this winter. I want to get it balanced, run a different cam, and i've been eyeing the forged pistons that MAF sells. But i've never heard about anyone using them. Do you have any experience with these? Worth the $100 a hole? Worth having to run premium gas and potentially an aluminum radiator? Any ideas on what I should expect to pay a machine shop to balance/line bore a 2F? I'm actually pretty impressed with my 2F as it is, but it's burning a lot of oil and the compression is getting down there in the 125-130 psi range. Not to mention it stinks terribly when I let off the gas under load. And I would like a bit more power and it to be smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom