Where to get a FF rear... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Once all these current projects are done I'm hoping to install a full float rear with a locker at the same time (nothing hardcore yet. I think a Lockrite will serve me perfectly for my style of wheeling). I figure freight is gonna kill me if I order one from SOR or MAF, so I was wondering if there are any places in or near eastern WA that would be able to get a FF rear for me. Anyone know of a place, or should I just spend the extra money on having one shipped to me? I'd be surprised if I couldn't get a FF somewhat locally, as aren't they still pretty common in Canadian cruisers?

Canadian '60 series 'Cruisers NEVER had full floaters but you are in luck (sort of). G&S Cruiserparts in Abbotsford, B.C. can get them.

cruiser_guy said:
Canadian '60 series 'Cruisers NEVER had full floaters but you are in luck (sort of). G&S Cruiserparts in Abbotsford, B.C. can get them.

Well it's better'n nothin. Looks like I'm gonna have to take a trip north fairly soon...

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't really see what huge benifit a FF axle has over the SF axle. The only real benifit I can see is the ability to limp off the trail with a broken axle. But if that's the only reason, why not do a mini hybrid axle?

Seems I'll I've heard about FF's is problems associated with them..studs backing out or breaking n stuff.

Yea, C clip axles do suck. But are they really worth the expense?

I like the FF rear in my 60. makes it easy to add a Toy cable or e-locker, and it has better load capability when loaded or pulling a trailer. Small difference, perhaps. I really bought mine to set up for e-lockers...

M

I am with majanrk...

They are not really that stronger than a SF, plus there is more that can go wrong. If you are just worried about limbing off the trail run disc brakes in the rear. it will keep the axle shaft in and give you much better stopping power...

the advantage of having a FF is running wicked steep gear set....if you dont plan on that just run a SF..my 2 cents...if its worth anything.

Ditto Mikey -
I got mine (from near SeaTac) for the load carrying capability & additional strength margin for the SBC.

I don't believe a SF will be as docile as a FF with a broken axle, discs or no. You've still got an axle stub waving around in your housing instead of a hub fully supported by 2 berings. Also, I think 2 bearings per side is probably twice as strong as one. And they're the same bearing as the fronts. So twice as much fun setting pre-load.

When my now ex-employee was doing neutral drops with my SF it blew the spiders & side gears. The R&P were fine. 'Course that's 'cuz of the "fuse effect". If you're sticking with the 2F & don't have to tow anything heavy, the SF is plenty strong enough.

Last edited:
Tinker...When you still have spider gears in there is no way to blow a SF shaft.

LT???

Huh? I have seen a bunch of shafts broken while the spiders were fine. Or am IO missing something (Happens :flipoff2: )

Full floating axles are not inherently stronger than a semifloating axle. Even more so without 10K sitting on them. They are nice if you do break an axle though. But the convienence hardly offsets the price.

I would never spend the money on a FF cruiser axle. I would just upgrade to something MUCH stronger. Like a 35 spline 9", 14 bolt or a D60 out of a old Jeep 3/4 ton pickup (offset pumpkin FYI and can be altered to 6 lug/35 spline).

Mace said:
LT???

Huh? I have seen a bunch of shafts broken while the spiders were fine. Or am IO missing something (Happens :flipoff2: )).

No way, I have never heard of that one...you have been in the scene longer than I have...Learn somthing new everyday...to bad I learned it from Mace :D :flipoff2:

Just Kiddin brotha...All the cruiser heads I talked to no one has ever said they broke a un-locked rear shaft..spider yes, but thats a new one to me...sorry for the wrong infomation on that one..

lowtideride said:
They are not really that stronger than a SF, plus there is more that can go wrong. If you are just worried about limbing off the trail run disc brakes in the rear. it will keep the axle shaft in and give you much better stopping power...

And destroy your carrier in the process... been there done that, not worth it. Why run something that will ruin the rest of your parts? I had to buy a new ARB because I thought it was worth the risk, others have had similar results...

Lets put things into perspective...

I broke 3 SF's in short matter of time (summer of wheeling), guys I wheel with broke at least 10 (we broke 3 in a single club run, albeit Rubicon). Take a stab at how many FF shafts I (or the other 7 I sold) have broke. ZERO!

I run the same trails as before, and pull a trailer doing it... :D

For the $450 I am into my rear FF, I hardly consider it a waste... I spent nearly that rebuilding my SF the 3 time I broke it...

I am yet to have any problems with cones/studs, those that do probably have steering arms fall off too :D

I dont think there is an equal amount of SF v.s. FF for all fairness. So there will be more SF breaks. On the east coast there is more than likely low to zero traction in most spots un-like most of the high tration rocks of the west coast. So, I am sure with more traction comes more breaks...Just never left the east coast.

lowtideride said:
No way, I have never heard of that one...you have been in the scene longer than I have...Learn somthing new everyday...to bad I learned it from Mace :D :flipoff2:

Just Kiddin brotha...All the cruiser heads I talked to no one has ever said they broke a un-locked rear shaft..spider yes, but thats a new one to me...sorry for the wrong infomation on that one..
Ahhhhhh, Now I GET IT!!!!!

Correct, I have never heard of someone beraking a rear shaft without a locker (or welded spiders) in a 40 or 60. Pinions tho ;)

I also have not seen a carrier ruined from a broken axle shaft. some of the adjustment collars but never a carrier.
Limping to a better place to replace the part is the only use of a RDB ;)

Kurt, I know you are fully happy with your FF rear cruiser axle. But for $450 I would be a lot happier with a 14 bolt and a stick of welding rod ;) You obviously do not think it was a waste, and neither do I. Just not something I would do :)

LT, that is EXACTLY why mug guys get by with big meats and D44 ;)

Mace said:
Ahhhhhh, Now I GET IT!!!!!

Correct, I have never heard of someone beraking a rear shaft without a locker (or welded spiders) in a 40 or 60. Pinions tho ;)

LT, that is EXACTLY why mug guys get by with big meats and D44 ;)

ahh good im not insane...haha :flipoff2:

Mace said:
I also have not seen a carrier ruined from a broken axle shaft. some of the adjustment collars but never a carrier.
Limping to a better place to replace the part is the only use of a RDB

On my ARB, it literraly wore right through the carrier bearing seat and into the bearing... did nothing to the housing, just destroyed an ARB :(. Another guy in our club had similar results when he broke both rear shafts at once, drove out, but $$$ It won't happen on a short distance, but I had to get mine a couple miles as there wasn't a spare shaft for hours. The Rubicon was worse, we used up the spare shafts, ended up having to take a rig back to the TH and pull a shaft, bring it in to drive it out. With a FF, yank the shaft and be done with it... Plus the elimination of the diff cover just looks cool. :D

I agree, a 14B is much cheaper initial cost, but not for someone looking to stay Cruiser width. By the time you figure narrowing, brake work (SF brakes bolt right onto the FF, so $0 cost there). My existing ARB dropped right in, my brake lines fit, my driveshaft was a perfect fit... yada, yada, yada. Of course Olly (my PT guy) sold his FF (to Devodog) and went the 14B/60 route... :D

The shipping is the only killer of the FF's IMHO, so get a roadtrip together, thats what I did... 8 axles in my Taco, 36 hours round trip from SLC to SOR :D

I actually have seen a rear shaft break in a open LC... but nailing Potato Salad in Moab at ~30mph will do that... :D I had a customer come buy a birf the other day to replace one he broke "rock crawling," he is open diff'd, WTF? :D

Funny thing about Cruiser axles, I didn't break one for the first couple years with my Blue Cruiser, and then one spring it all went south, birfs, longs, inners, and rears... nothing liked to stay alive, made for a long summer. And the whole time we were completing in UROC with a Toy front (Longs) and a Mini-rear... only broke one long! The mini-rear never had a problem despite a couple ourput shafts on the mini t-case, the housing on a TH350, the output on a D300, and some joints. :D

And I have snapped a Tacoma axle just letting off the clutch in a high traction spot.

With a mini tcase ;)

I can't wait for amrlin to get the 32 spline Toy tcase done :D

BTW, initial costs and selling the SF 60 axle and whatever else you happen to have can easily make up the difference ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom