Where to get 4.88's for my '92 FJ80....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lake Arrowhead, CA (was), Rocky Top, TN (is)
After ALOT of reading here on MUD about ways to "pep-up" the 3FE in my 80 series, I'm wondering if you guys can help me source some 4.88's to swap in.....also, how much coin is this gonna set me back?

I have a brand new set of 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's on the truck and I may possibly go as big as 33's in the future. Are the 4.88's the best choice here?

Thanks for the help.....:beer:

Spike nailed it on the head....Kurt is by far one of the best LC vendors to do business with. Cost me roughly $900 to regear to 5.29s, but I'm pretty sure the gears are all the same price.

Spike nailed it on the head....Kurt is by far one of the best LC vendors to do business with. Cost me roughly $900 to regear to 5.29s, but I'm pretty sure the gears are all the same price.

Was $900 your total cost, parts and install? Or just parts?

You can also try JT, just differentials.

I got mine from them. He is also here on mud.

4.88 will run great w 33's. You can run them with the 31's for a bit but I would only consider it temporary, as its not the ideal setup

After ALOT of reading here on MUD about ways to "pep-up" the 3FE in my 80 series, I'm wondering if you guys can help me source some 4.88's to swap in.....also, how much coin is this gonna set me back?

I have a brand new set of 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's on the truck and I may possibly go as big as 33's in the future. Are the 4.88's the best choice here?

Thanks for the help.....:beer:

ringpinion.biz - Yes, it would be temporary with the 31's. But if I stayed with that size, for whatever reason, would 4.56's be a better choice? What results have you seen or heard about with this gear?

Fiveo - Yes, is the $900 for parts, labor and shipping or........?

Thanks for the input guys!

Kurt is very good to deal with. Just give him a call or drop him an email and I'm certain he will quote you costs with shipping.
801.518.3937 info@cruiseroutfitters.com
Kurt's website lists the following prices for the parts only:

4.88 front $227
4.88 rear $206
Install kit front $154
Install kit rear $130

That's about $717 for parts from Cruiser Outfitters.
Don't know what shipping would be.
Labor could vary, depending on various factors.

ringpinion.biz - Yes, it would be temporary with the 31's. But if I stayed with that size, for whatever reason, would 4.56's be a better choice? What results have you seen or heard about with this gear?

Im on the fence too between 4.56 and 4.88. Im looking for better higway performace I keep hearing mixed reviews.

4.88s should be stock on these things, anemic hogs do great with 5.29s and 35s...can't see why 4.88s wouldn't be good for 31-33.

Well, if you are going to stick w/ 31's then 4.56 might be better, but it is easier to change tire size than re-gear again.
Also, mid 90's 4runners w/ 3.slow and AT w/ 31's had 4.88 gears stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom