Where to find original wheels (1974 FJ40)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to FJ40s and currently just purchased a 1974 to work on. It currently has a mix of wheels on there. Are there some good places to find original wheels?

rims are still available from Toyota, they are black not grey

other option would be to post in the classifieds looking for some.

if you are going to go with disc brakes at some point get the welded version, the rivetted version does not clear the brake caliper

What those guys just said ..

42601-60072. Any Toyota dealer can get them. Priced between 130 and 190 bucks a copy.

Hub caps are also still available.

42621-60010-86, closed cap
42621-60020-86, open cap

Solid price for all that kit! Someone needs to snag this up...

42601-60072. Any Toyota dealer can get them. Priced between 130 and 190 bucks a copy.

Hub caps are also still available.

42621-60010-86, closed cap
42621-60020-86, open cap

Appears wheels have gone up from the just over $100 price I remember. Are the hub caps still cheap around $15 apiece?

So, greys are no longer made?

Also, how do I know if I buy from dealer if they are riveted or welded? Are there different part numbers?

Last edited:
So, greys are no longer made?

Also, how do I know if I buy from dealer if they are riveted or welded? Are there different part numbers?

All new wheels are welded. Riveted haven't been made since welded started. The black wheels are all you will find. If they were ever sold in gray it's been a long time.

All new wheels are welded. Riveted haven't been made since welded started. The black wheels are all you will find. If they were ever sold in gray it's been a long time.

Black prime because this wheel was used for both Land Cruiser and 4wd truck. Grey for Cruiser and white for truck. Part number consolidation.

Appears wheels have gone up from the just over $100 price I remember. Are the hub caps still cheap around $15 apiece?
Everything's gone up. 1FZ spark plug wire sets have doubled in the last 6 years.

16-20 range on the caps.

On my '64 FJ45 doors, there is what appears to be big fat and low steel deposit oxywelding bead on the window frames. Was there a change in manufacturing technology that allowed the use of a wire-fed lapweld about at the same time as the rivets got ditched for these updated part number on the welded clipped-and-capped wheels? The History of Welding | MillerWelds - https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/the-history-of-welding I'd be interested to learn how the technology and method of building Land Cruisers has changed over the years, but, airtight rivets sounds like future technology, not an old one.

Those Toyota caps look amazing, but they rust fast without being oiled/waxed/Fluid Film where the sheetmetal overlaps, and if you push too hard you kinda make them squish a bit - get extras, and slightly bend the wheel tabs in a bit, and a tiny bit of grease on the tabs/ring before installing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom