where to find a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh that's gona be a toughy! I know of a few people on the lookout without much luck....

Patience and alot of calls & searching seems to be the answer ! .... or so my friends tell me.

I believe the best place to find in Al-Qaseem region in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from what I have been told.

All because of you guys and your 40s. I never entered the 40 section on mud so I don't see them and then you go and invite me here and post them up... I found two 45s in dhaid, they were beyond repair with bent chassis and were priced at 8k aed. I've got a friend on the lookout for me and he said he'll let me know what he can find but might take 2-3months before he can get back to me.. Whatever shows up I'll post here and in the 40 section to see what you guys think before making any decisions.

(there is a small chance I'll be an idiot and pay for the damn thing without even seeing a picture of it and just hearing the price:hillbilly:)

Desert nomad, It seems like you are developing the incurable 40 bug.

I think that KSA is best place to find a reasonable condition 40 for reasonable money. The trucks in UAE are either bad condition / undesirable mods or are good condition / restored and high cost.

Do you have any experience of Abu Shagara area in Sharjah? I was wondering if they have classics there or if it is all newer cars?

I have recently found a dealer out at Al Awer used car market that is importing classics and said he could get hold of 40s. He is located at the area behind the showrooms which are mainly exporting cars to Africa. Easy to find as he is the only guy doing classics. He had a 40 when i was there but i wasnt keen on it....will try to post some picks at weekend. As you enter main gate he is on left side of compound. If you haven't been out there it's quite incredible. There are thousands of Ex Japanese cars being traded onwards. There are loads of 70s, 80s, 100s out there as well as some German motors. Majority are RHD and for export only but there are a few LHDs going about. Worth a look if you have an hour spare some time.

Cheers

Ian

Desert nomad, It seems like you are developing the incurable 40 bug.

I think that KSA is best place to find a reasonable condition 40 for reasonable money. The trucks in UAE are either bad condition / undesirable mods or are good condition / restored and high cost.

Do you have any experience of Abu Shagara area in Sharjah? I was wondering if they have classics there or if it is all newer cars?

I have recently found a dealer out at Al Awer used car market that is importing classics and said he could get hold of 40s. He is located at the area behind the showrooms which are mainly exporting cars to Africa. Easy to find as he is the only guy doing classics. He had a 40 when i was there but i wasnt keen on it....will try to post some picks at weekend. As you enter main gate he is on left side of compound. If you haven't been out there it's quite incredible. There are thousands of Ex Japanese cars being traded onwards. There are loads of 70s, 80s, 100s out there as well as some German motors. Majority are RHD and for export only but there are a few LHDs going about. Worth a look if you have an hour spare some time.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian, I've had the bug for a long time i just always told myself now's not the time and kept delaying. Every couple of months I'd casually check online or take a drive down and see what i could find. I know of the aweer market but thought as dealers they generally overprice them, I'll definitely go down and have a look.

Abu shagara though are known to be con-artists, whether buying or selling a car they're too much of a headache to deal with.
I'll be looking around for a 40/43 and hopefully find someone to check out the saudi market. I've asked a friend to check the ex-military ones out of pakistan as they're usually in good condition and dirt cheap but it would have to be a 1979 or earlier to get a rhd registered under the classic plates. Either way I'll try to make my way down to aweer on Friday or Saturday and i also wanted to do another trip through dhaid-masafi-dibba/fujairah to poke round and see what i can find.

Depends on your budget and how much time you want to spend working on it. If you want stock, 5.3 engine swap, etc. I am on the lookout for a 45 for a friend now, as he saw mine going in for the restoration and caught the bug. Check haraj.com - they always have loads and gives you a decent idea of where the market is at.

Haha i got a headache from haraj.com and it seemed as a whole bidding war goes down there without knowing the true condition of the vehicle. I'm looking for a stock 40 soft/hard top doesn't matter (leaning more to a soft top) as long as the chassis isn't bent. I've got a space to strip down the cruiser if it needs engine/trans overhauling a paint booth and two places close by if body work needs doing.

20K AED set aside for it but not sure what state that would get me hence trying to poke the more knowledgeable gurus here for info.
No time limit on work, haha my horses taught me patience you can't win an argument with a 500kg animal.

My 40 came out of the drier part of Saudi... near Abha from what I understand. (I can't read the importation paperwork, only know what I was told).

I'd been looking for 3 years for a 40 or 45 in the condition I wanted.

My requirements were:
- Operational and able to pass inspection (I had to add seatbelts and replace the suspension bushings to get mine to pass, so close enough)
- Original paint (the repaints are generally going to be hiding bondo and other bad repairs, I wanted an original condition body)
- Little-to-no-body cancer/rust (no holes was my biggest criteria, I've only got one bad spot in the rear sill)
- No cancer/rust on the chassis (of course I have surface rust, but no damage; it just needs repainting)
- Unmodified (no lift, no new wheels, no weird bumpers, no welded on parts, no cut-off parts, etc.)

I passed up 3 or 4 specimens that didn't meet my requirements and were too expensive to compromise.

I paid AED 45,000 for mine, imported from Saudi. That price includes the transfer paperwork, customs, etc. The only disappointment is that the engine isn't original. However, it is a much newer 2F and a lot easier to find parts for and rebuild (if/when the time comes). I think my price is a bit on the high side... but I was very picky about what I was looking for and I didn't compromise.

I'll also add that I think a lot of sellers around the region know what they've got. If the seller knew too keep the truck in good condition then he probably knows what he can fetch from an interested individual.

I get the impression that the FJ45 trucks get sold for a very small price when they are sold off the coastal fishermen... but that when collectors come around the prices go up.

Makes sense... supply and demand.

I know clean ones fetch a mighty price, to me as long as the chassis hasn't rotted or bent I'd consider looking at. Saw some nice ones on haraj I might give some of them a call and see.

I will be visiting Jeddah in July. Anyone know where i should look for. Interested in a FJ 40.

If a good FJ 40 is available, how much should I offer.

Lots of variables... year, kilometers, body condition, chassis condition, etc. You can see the variables that went into my purchase and what I paid below.

My 40 came out of the drier part of Saudi... near Abha from what I understand. (I can't read the importation paperwork, only know what I was told).

I'd been looking for 3 years for a 40 or 45 in the condition I wanted.

My requirements were:
- Operational and able to pass inspection (I had to add seatbelts and replace the suspension bushings to get mine to pass, so close enough)
- Original paint (the repaints are generally going to be hiding bondo and other bad repairs, I wanted an original condition body)
- Little-to-no-body cancer/rust (no holes was my biggest criteria, I've only got one bad spot in the rear sill)
- No cancer/rust on the chassis (of course I have surface rust, but no damage; it just needs repainting)
- Unmodified (no lift, no new wheels, no weird bumpers, no welded on parts, no cut-off parts, etc.)

I passed up 3 or 4 specimens that didn't meet my requirements and were too expensive to compromise.

I paid AED 45,000 for mine, imported from Saudi. That price includes the transfer paperwork, customs, etc. The only disappointment is that the engine isn't original. However, it is a much newer 2F and a lot easier to find parts for and rebuild (if/when the time comes). I think my price is a bit on the high side... but I was very picky about what I was looking for and I didn't compromise.

I've been told I got screwed. But it was drivable on Day 1 and is still drivable as I'm working my way through it. The guys picking them up for AED 10-20,000 are promptly doing a complete dismantle and restore/rebuild with lots of bodywork required. I'm not having to do that.

Unless you are very well connected you are going to struggle to find a well-preserved one for less than AED 40,000.

I have a friend called Mohammad he has a couple of FJ40's and he would sell at the right price, you can find him on instagram @Q8_FJ_40

He collects FJ40's and I got mine from him, he is constantly restoring and maintaining these trucks.

I have a friend called Mohammad he has a couple of FJ40's and he would sell at the right price, you can find him on instagram @Q8_FJ_40

He collects FJ40's and I got mine from him, he is constantly restoring and maintaining these trucks.
Thanks Bro. I will contact him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom