Where to buy suspension seat bases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and I plan on importing a prado soon. My first order of business is getting suspension seats if it doesn't have them. Where is a good place to get them?
Thanks

I think they are only good to 90kgs, so if you are that weight or heavier, no good. You also need the year and exact model to get the part number. Expect to pay around a $1000 each.
This thread suggests that using your old seat is bothersome.

I wouldn't say its bothersome, that's just a feature I want. But at 1000, I'll just make sure I buy an EX that has it already

I wouldn't say its bothersome, that's just a feature I want. But at 1000, I'll just make sure I buy an EX that has it already

If you buy a Prado on coil springs suspension seats are not necessary , if it is a BJ or HZJ on leaf springs I can recommend them.

I have a set of suspension bases here at the shop in Texas , I might be using these myself but have some more in Europe that I can bring . If you want just the bases I can let these go for 400$ for the pair plus shipping , fyi these are pretty heavy.

Joe

I didn't know about the weight limit on the seats. I haven't really used the suspension feature of my seats or looked at the mechanism, but just out of idle curiosity I would guess that stiffer springs could be installed that would increase the limit, no?

I may just have to pull a seat out this weekend and take a look.

Hello,

You need to modify the body to make them fit. Captive nuts are there but you have to do some cutting and welding.

Juan

Yes the ex5 and sx floor pans are different. I’ve had both and was going to swap the suspension seats into my sx. Too much work for something that is really just a gag.

Yes I agree. I dont think they were big sellers in Australia. I think you are better off spending the money on better suspension components.

but just out of idle curiosity I would guess that stiffer springs could be installed that would increase the limit, no?

Myabe , but finding the right spring might be like looking for unicorn s***

Last edited:
Post a wanted ad in the diesel/Jdm section of classifieds. I got a pristine, complete set for $500 only a couple days after posting. The conversion is extremely easy if you get the seats with the bases. I did it on a bj and it made a tremendous difference in all driving conditions. If you find a set that will be shipped, insist on rigid packaging around the adjustment handles, these are fragile and easily broken during shipping - replacements unavailable from Toyota.

I hardly used my suspension seats when I had them. I didn't like how the seat moved up and down which resulted in the driving position moving all the time. Just my experience.

Yes, that is real and required a lot of tweaking for me before I got it right. Ie it is not set to my body weight, but for a slightly heavier person. I find my position stays more level while cornering and a lot of dampening to my spine on bumps - helps mostly on really long off road trips. Also, my original seats were so bad, putting these in was an upgrade no matter what.

Should be noted that my opinion could be skewed because I haven’t experienced regular seats in good condition. Either way don’t over spend on these. I love them but I wouldn’t value them above a lot of other upgrades requiring similar work and spend, like refreshing the suspension for at least a better baseline.

There are a few aftermarket suspension bases around on the net, they are a lot cheaper than Toyotas and appear to be adaptable to many seat designs.

I know Stratos makes a suspension seat that fits 70s. Shaun Whale has a set in his white 79. There's a vid of it somewhere

Issue is, they aren't for sale in the US. No idea if they'll ship. It would be expensive if they did though.

Edit: somewhere in this vid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom