Where to buy steel for build projects? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forum Regular

where do you folks buy your steel for build projects?
Hello all, any ideas where to purchase steel for a bumper build and other sorted 60 projects? I am in northeast GA and can only find one steel supplier and they sell in 20 ft. lengths and I just dont need that much. I need shorter lengths of several sizes.
The scrap yards around here dont have dimensional steel, only wrecks and various junk. Where else should I be looking?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hello all. Just wondering where you guys buy your steel for cruiser projects. I want to build some bumpers and other projects for my 60. The one supplier I found only sells in 20ft lengths and I just need 4-6 ft length and in several different sizes. I am in northeast GA.
Any suggestions? Thanks

I have had good experience with Online Metals (for things other than bumper builds). They're local to me but I used them when I lived elsewhere and had good luck with shipping (and most of their business is shipping). Very good with small orders.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Check with your local metal fabrication and maybe machine shops. Also check with your welding supply shop, some of them sell metal stock to.

It has been my experience that the typical metal supply companies in the area will sell in lengths less than 20 ft, but you pay a premium such that I go ahead and buy a full 20 ft stick.

One non-typical company is Metal Supermarket. They have two locations in the metro area
Atlanta 4301 Pleasantdale Road (678) 421-0054 atlantasales@metalsupermarkets.com
Marietta 1000 Williams Drive (770) 218-0550 hpelzer@metalsupermarkets.com

Metal Supermarket is set up to sell to the small fabricator so they price the material by the foot on the premise that it will be a portion of a 20 ft stick. They also carry DOM tubing which is handy for some our projects. I have dealt with the Marietta location for years and have never had an issue.

Good luck

Metal supermarket in doraville. They have a indoor drop room.

Metal supermarket in doraville. They have a indoor drop room.

I am unfamiliar with Steel Mart in the Norcross/Doraville area, but I can not find any info on a Metal Supermarket there. Can you post a few more details? Thanks

Last edited:
Larry,

There is one closer to you in Marietta off of highway 5. I go there all the time and the also have a large press for custom bending of steel plate. Think of a nicely angled bumper.
1000 Williams Drive Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 218-0550
Its owned by a South African guy with an accent like Sylvain

I am familiar with Steel Mart in the Norcross/Doraville area, but I can not find any info on a Metal Supermarket there. Can you post a few more details? Thanks

Last edited:
Larry,

There is one closer to you in Marietta off of highway 5. I go there all the time and the also have a large press for custom bending of steel plate. Think of a nicely angled bumper.
1000 Williams Drive Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 218-0550
Its owned by a South African guy with an accent like Sylvain

Andrew,
Yes, I am very familiar with that location and Mr Pelzer (I always screw up his first name it is Hinnie or something similar).

Good info. I know about Metal Supermarket too. I think Larry pointed me to them.
Speaking of, Larry, didn't you tell me Pelzer was pretty good to deal with and would do some small jobs quick and cheap?

Good info. I know about Metal Supermarket too. I think Larry pointed me to them.
Speaking of, Larry, didn't you tell me Pelzer was pretty good to deal with and would do some small jobs quick and cheap?

All true, but on my last trip in he told me that he no longer does custom welding/fabrication work on the side.

"Steel Materials" On hwy 113 in Cartersville, Ga.
Good Prices, Good People. 770-382-0264 Speak to Steve or Scooter
:beer:

Thanks guys for all the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom