Where to buy OEM starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just called up the local Toyota dealership parts department. They said they sell both the 1.4kw and the 2.2kw. The 2.2kw was coming in at 176 and change while the 1.4kw was at 230 and change plus 60 on the core. Is the 2.2kw worth it and necessary? I have to replace my starter and my FZJ80 originated from WV. I assume it has the 1.4 but the parts guy said it could have the 2.2kw, any way to know for sure?

I see you are in Alabama. If near Auburn take it to Auburn Starter and Generator and have Edd rebuild it. He also does a good job on alternators.

I see you are in Alabama. If near Auburn take it to Auburn Starter and Generator and have Edd rebuild it. He also does a good job on alternators.

@Godwin those guys are great they worked on my M38A1 back in 2000 when I lived in Auburn! I’m in Montgomery, if I have the time to, I’ll make my way over there, but might have settle for those businesses closer by. :(

@Godwin those guys are great they worked on my M38A1 back in 2000 when I lived in Auburn! I’m in Montgomery, if I have the time to, I’ll make my way over there, but might have settle for those businesses closer by. :(

If you can find a place. Used to be one at I85 and the Northern Bypass but that shop is long gone.

Why don't you have yours rebuilt? There are starter/alternator rebuild shops almost everywhere. I had one rebuilt last year for about $40 and an hour of my time waiting on them to do the job for me.

Or just do it yourself and be happy

I just called up the local Toyota dealership parts department. They said they sell both the 1.4kw and the 2.2kw. The 2.2kw was coming in at 176 and change while the 1.4kw was at 230 and change plus 60 on the core. Is the 2.2kw worth it and necessary? I have to replace my starter and my FZJ80 originated from WV. I assume it has the 1.4 but the parts guy said it could have the 2.2kw, any way to know for sure?

I run the 2.2kw on my LX - no problems

(Kevin rolled his eyes when I opted for that over 2.0kw :lol:)

The 2.2 kw starter was only available in the 1993 model year. New and reman units are long gone . I believe the internal parts plunger and contacts are still available via Toyota for a rebuild.
@ToothDr I'll find out from the Toyota Dealer's Parts Store what is up and put the order in. I was under the impression too that the 2.2 were long gone, so I don't know where the parts guy really knows. Let's test the waters. I'll keep you posted.

If you can find a place. Used to be one at I85 and the Northern Bypass but that shop is long gone.
@Godwin there is one in downtown Montgomery (Hester's Auto Electric Services), I'll give them a ring, but I think I'm going to see what Rinehardt Toyota can do in getting that 2.2kw one, why not test them first and see if they can actually get it?

Perhaps but even I’m at the point that I won’t bother rebuilding them anymore.
Yeah, but you are the CEO of Wits' End INC.! Think of us simple folk...:hillbilly:

My local dealer said they don't even sell rebuild kits anymore. Anyone happen to have the parts list from a kit? All I've seen on here is that people frequently replace the contacts on Starters and brushes on Alternators but there's more to it than that...FWIW I called shops in my area to see if anyone would rebuild either and got a bunch of no's because "the Chinese took that business."

@ToothDr I'll find out from the Toyota Dealer's Parts Store what is up and put the order in. I was under the impression too that the 2.2 were long gone, so I don't know where the parts guy really knows. Let's test the waters. I'll keep you posted.

They know NOTHING.

They know NOTHING.
I totally agree, lol. I’ve gotta disconnect the old starter tomorrow and then see if I can get some help with rebuilding mine. If I had the time I would, but I have so many other things on my plate to take care of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom