Where to bolt seatbelts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a newbie and took the top off my 1977 FJ40 today. It took awhile, and it was obvious the top had never been off in 28 years.

I only have one item remaining ... where does one bolt the front seat belts? My FJ40 has a factory roll bar. Should the V-shaped holder bolt into one of the roll bar bolts and the belt "case/retractor" bolt somehow to the tub?

Seen a few setups with the shoulder strap as well as mine. You can get a 3" extender that makes the strap a litte easier to grab. Bolt the "shoulder ring" to that and you can bolt the recoil into the rail just in front of the jump seats.
Works pretty good

Peace
Neal

When I removed my top I attached the upper pivot in the lower hole on the inside of the OEM roll bar bracket. The upper hole is a little smaller and it won't fit there. I made a stout L bracket to mount the reel with one of the roll bar-to-body bolts. You must mount the reel vertically or it won't work correctly.

Good Luck

this might help.

coolfj40_1848_254903527

77TLCFJ40 said:
When I removed my top I attached the upper pivot in the lower hole on the inside of the OEM roll bar bracket. The upper hole is a little smaller and it won't fit there. I made a stout L bracket to mount the reel with one of the roll bar-to-body bolts. You must mount the reel vertically or it won't work correctly.

Good Luck

2nd this. This is exactly how I did mine on my '77.

fj40 rico..why the bracket on the top at the roll bar bolts? just bolt the belt loop thing direct...i've had four or five like that.

The extender just makes it easier to grab the belt. Ive got aftermarket race style seats that have the cut outs for the 4-point. They have a wider profile at the top and would be in the way without that extender.

Thank you for the answer ... gonna have to fab two L-shaped brackets. On the passenger side, my reel won't fit on the rail between the roll bar and whatever that cover is.

The cover is the guard for the filler neck and "fuel separator" (i think thats what its called). Mine didnt fit either but i used the angle grinder and trimmed out the top to make it fit, theres plenty of dead air behind that guard.

Peace
Neal

RUfj, no disrespect meant. looks like a real nice ride, but if you are considering much offroad I would sure consider beefing up that shoulder harness brackett. J.M.H.O.

Dont actually use the shoulder harness much if at all when off road. New belts with new recoils and they choke the crap out of me when on the trail. Seats work fine alone (dont get to crazy) but when they are in use I just flip the belt behind my back.

Thanks for the heads up... cant do too much with 31's and stock springs at the moment. Theres a plan for upgrading in the future when the running gear gets upgraded as well!!

Peace
Neal

RUfj40crazy said:
Dont actually use the shoulder harness much if at all when off road. New belts with new recoils and they choke the crap out of me when on the trail. Seats work fine alone (dont get to crazy) but when they are in use I just flip the belt behind my back.

Ditto to Franky40 and nuclearlemon - - that extension bracket needs to be beefed up or removed. If the top part of the harness isn't aligned over the lower spool, the belt system may not activate when needed.

And, no disrespect either. But seat belts off-road are just as important (if not more so) as on-road. If you've been dumped out on the trail, that roll bar becomes nothing more than a chest compressor. Ouch. :crybaby:

Its pretty close to vertical, and the recoil actually locks on most any bump even small potholes and manhole covers.

The bracket is the one that comes with the ccot kit, its pretty stiff but not sure on the guage!

Should / could I fab another plate to attach at the lower bolt and weld to the current bracket making it triangular in shape?

RUfj40crazy said:
Should / could I fab another plate to attach at the lower bolt and weld to the current bracket making it triangular in shape?

If it were me, I would use something sturdier than just that little piece hanging out there that looks like it would swivel down upon hard impact. You'd be surprised how much stress goes on seatbelt hardware when they're activated. I've always done what nuclearlemon said; just attach the top part of the harness to the exisitng bolt on the roll bar. Simple is good.

Thanks Landcruisersteve

Ill work on the set-up... Sorry for the hi-jack on the thread!! Better safe than sorry. Never know till a seinor member lends some info.

Thanks everybody, safety is key!!!!

Peace
Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom