where the hell can I get an after market wiper switch for my 64. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What works? my switch is toast.

U have 3 choices :

- TOYOTA Land Cruiser FJ40 Wiper Knob and Switch | eBay
pay the man

- use a late modle wiper rotary switch like this : with spade connectors

- use a later model pull switch

DSCN7027.JPG
DSCN7028.JPG

Thanks guys...

I tried pulling it apart and it popped open sending debris all over... doh!!!

Ill never be a surgeon... :)

Edit....

Just remembered I don't even have a pull switch.....

my 71 is basically nothing stock electrically. I have a 76 windshield and original wiper motor. It's wired on a dedicated circuit and a SPDT - works fine other than not having park. It's a roughly $5 waterproof (marine) switch.

My point is that if you can't get original, there are other options.

Edit....

Just remembered I don't even have a pull switch.....

my 71 is basically nothing stock electrically. I have a 76 windshield and original wiper motor. It's wired on a dedicated circuit and a SPDT - works fine other than not having park. It's a roughly $5 waterproof (marine) switch.

My point is that if you can't get original, there are other options.

The 64 was a rotating switch not a pull switch. Could get a single pole signal throw toggle switch to make these early TNK wiper to work. Unswitch twelve volts to the park terminal and would park where suppose to be. Running a twelve volts wire to the correct terminal could fix your as well. But believe the OP is restoring his 64 not just getting it to work.

It's a pretty simple switch, should be able to find something that could be wired up to work. Do you have the original knob?

Thanks guys. I did find a simple rotary 3 position switch. I do have the original knob that I will restore and adapt to fit.

Now I have to sort out the wiring harness... ;)

Wiring for wipers on a '64 is pretty simple.

The stock switch has three terminals, but really only one function. Power from fusebox (blue wire) goes in one terminal, and when switched on closes the circuit to the other two terminals. Toyota used a separate terminal for each wiper motor. (No idea why.)

At the motors, if you look at the side of the terminal block, the terminals are labeled +, - and S. On my truck, + is the bottom, - the middle and S the top.

+ is for the park circuit, gets unswitched power from the wiper fuse, same as the power terminal of the switch. They may actually connect to the power terminal on the switch as well, but I can't see for certain without digging deeper under the dash. Looks like blue with black trace on my rig.

- is a ground, white with black trace. Needed because the motors are rubber mounted.

S is the lead that is energized when the switch is turned on. Looks like blue with gray trace?

Short summary: Obviously the - terminal on both motors needs to be grounded all the time. The + terminals should have 12v whenever the ignition is on (from the Wiper fuse). The S terminals should have 12v when the wiper switch is turned on (also from the wiper fuse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom