where should i start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Second that.

1. Steering to 100%.

2. Brakes to 100%

3. PUT AN AIR CLEANER ON IT before it costs you an engine!

Best

Mark A.

Brakes and steering. Engine tuning and health. Rocker panel protection (sliders). Recovery equipment and tools. Just throw a mat over that rust. Drive it and enjoy it. Don't start major mods until you've enjoyed it like it is. Find a club or group of people you enjoy wheeling with. Don't dive in to a cosmetic restoration; they usually take years if done in a home garage. "Remember its just a hobby." If it ain't fun, don't do it.

Brakes and steering. Engine tuning and health. Rocker panel protection (sliders). Recovery equipment and tools. Just throw a mat over that rust. Drive it and enjoy it. Don't start major mods until you've enjoyed it like it is. Find a club or group of people you enjoy wheeling with. Don't dive in to a cosmetic restoration; they usually take years if done in a home garage. "Remember its just a hobby." If it ain't fun, don't do it.

I agree with Greenpiece. What is your plan. Do you manage for daily transport or special occasion. Some people says there is no other cars than Land Cruiser, the sensation. If you like it you can continue and find some guys to do it.
For me, your car is a treasure. Don't forget, its just a hobby. I spent 3-4 months to rebuild my FJ40 '82 Diesel and so far I have lost a new motorbike.......:D

2X greenpiece and andhikea - Get it running good, then focus on brakes and steering for safety. At this point don't worry about the body and oil leaks and water leaking in. Slowly over the years you can tackle body problems one at a time... often times uncorking one releases another. Get that sill firmed up in the back would be one of my firsts. i have had major LC body projects in the past and if you cannot periodically take it out for a cruise and be reminded of why we love these things, it is tough to sustain a long term out of action LC (assuming you only have one) and the demon thoughts of "i should just sell everything and get a "good" truck" will creep in.

drive it, wheel it, and then decide whether and what you want to modify :steer:

2X greenpiece and andhikea - Get it running good, then focus on brakes and steering for safety. At this point don't worry about the body and oil leaks and water leaking in. Slowly over the years you can tackle body problems one at a time... often times uncorking one releases another. Get that sill firmed up in the back would be one of my firsts. i have had major LC body projects in the past and if you cannot periodically take it out for a cruise and be reminded of why we love these things, it is tough to sustain a long term out of action LC (assuming you only have one) and the demon thoughts of "i should just sell everything and get a "good" truck" will creep in.

Wish I had asked your question and gotten such good responses as IOKRU2's and the others. If I had to do it again, I'd get a runner and drive it. Or one parts rig and one project, and hammer down to finish it in a year. Now I have a yard full of dead rigs and it's become work. Fun is the point, not work.

My order of priorities is only slightly different (see John Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive a true classic book). Brakes first, then steering, then everything else. GL!

Great advice so far IMHO.

I second getting in contact with a local Land Cruiser club, it was one of the best things I ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom