Where Shall We Eat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're going to be passing through the High and Exalted Parts Shaman's territory, so if anyone would care to offer tips on where to eat supper and breakfast, I'm all ears.
Supper's desired price range is </=$15/main entree.

:cheers:

In that price range, I would say Rudy's BBQ for dinner. There are several scattered across town. For breakfast.. probably something like The Frontier, on Central across from UNM. It's quite popular, and parking is a pain though.

Welcome Psfpilot -

You didn't say when you'll be coming through NM, but we're having a club meeting on Saturday, April 5. You're welcome to join us - check the April meeting thread for the details. We always have a potluck and talk about trucks. I'm sure it will be well within your budget!

If not then, how about El Pinto for dinner. They have good Mexican food, and if you're lucky, the weather (read - lack of wind this time of year) will allow you to sit outside and enjoy a NM sunset. Take Tramway west (away from the mountains) off of I-25 on the north side of town. It will turn into 4th street and the restaurant will be on your left - probably five miles or so from I-25.

For breakfast - Weck's is good. Look in the phone book. There must be 5 of them around town. One is bound to be close to where you are.

I'm sure you will get lots of other ideas from this crew. Enjoy your stay in NM!

Evan

My vote for dinner is Little Anita's. I always take out-of-town guests there. Easy on off from I-40, take Rio Grande south to the second light (Mountain), on the NE corner. Great New Mexican food. It's also close to Old Town, the museums (ABQ Art and History, Natural History, Rattlesnake, Atomic, Explora), and the Botanic Garden/Aquarium. If your timing is good you might get a private tour of the Botanic Garden :grinpimp:.

When asked, always say "green."

The Range Cafe has great breakfast too. But I my fave is Wecks. Papas with Carnitas and extra cheese :D

oh yeah and GREEN :D

We're going to be passing through the High and Exalted Parts Shaman's territory,

There's a Cracker Barrel about 1/4 mile from American Toyota. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner (what the hell is 'supper'). Easy on and off of I-25. Should be less than $15 for a family of 3. No "red or green" questions at Cracker Barrel. :D

Breakfast at Le Peep if you are staying in the Up-Town area. Another great place for breakfast is Millie's. They have a couple of places in town and one is in the Jefferson corridor which is not far from Am Toy. There is a Millie's on Menaul too.

For a good New Mexican style dinner in that price range you need to try Duran's Station on Menaul. Those that have had lunch at Duran's in the pharmacy down on Central will recognize the same menu and the same quality of food in a small "Mom & Pop" restaurant. Price will be well within your target range. If you enjoy your green chile on the mild side then don't go to Sadie's. If you value your driver's license then don't order a pitcher of margaritas at Sadies. Their food is so damn spicy you will suck down a pitcher so fast it will make your head swim. ;)

One more piece of advice. The recommendations from those other guys should be viewed suspiciously. None of them weigh more than 140. They have no clue on eating... what to eat, where to eat, how to eat. Rule #1: Don't take restaurant recommendations from anyone under 220#.

-Mike-

Last edited:
Breakfast at Le Peep if you are staying in the Up-Town area.

I'll agree, except they can be hard to find of you have never been there.

One more piece of advice. The recommendations from those other guys should be viewed suspiciously. None of them weigh more than 140. They have no clue on eating... what to eat, where to eat, how to eat. Rule #1: Don't take restaurant recommendations from anyone under 220#.

:flipoff2:

I would also avoid advice from those with no love life. The only places we, uh, they, eat out are McDonalds and Taco Bell.

I'll agree, except they can be hard to find of you have never been there.

Le Peep is kinda hidden away but it is within walking distance from the Marriott if he wants to stay at a nice hotel and there is a Starbuck's right down the street in the new ABQ Uptown shopping area.

-Mike-

The best New Mexican breakfast in Albuquerque hands down is Barelas Coffee House on fourth just south of Avienda Caesar Chavez. Excellent food, very good prices.

The best New Mexican breakfast in Albuquerque hands down is Barelas Coffee House on fourth just south of Avienda Caesar Chavez. Excellent food, very good prices.

Is it safe to take your wife and kids into that part of town? :D

That is pretty close to the pick-n-pull on Broadway. I may give it a try the next time we have an early Saturday parts run.

-Mike-

Can't belive Los Cuates (dinner) hasn't come up yet...

Lomas just west of San Mateo. Either the hole in the wall on south side of the street, or the main building on the north side.

And the Owl Cafe for breakfast. I40 east to Eubank, north on Eubank, on the right before Lomas.

Wherever you eat: huevos rancheros for breakfast, and blue corn chicken enchilada for dinner...

And the Owl Cafe for breakfast. I40 east to Eubank, north on Eubank, on the right before Lomas.

Is that the place across from the park?

We oughta make this thread a sticky 'cause I haven't eaten at any of these places and it's a good source of info!

For the fast food: Teriyaki Chicken Bowl, Bumble Bee's Mexican Grill
Pizza: A&K Fratelli's in Rio Rancho. I highly recommend this place.

We rarely get out to eat without the kids, but when we do, we usually go to Pelican's.

We oughta make this thread a sticky 'cause I haven't eaten at any of these places and it's a good source of info!

I say we pick one a month and just gather there for the heck of it.

Good idea.

Special occasions:
Hyatt downtown - brunch on Mother's Day and other events.
Prairie Star on the Santa Ana golf course
Cattleman's in the Hilton
High Finance on top of Sandia Crest
Cafe Miche (Connie says it is OK)
Corn Maiden @ Hyatt Tamiya Resort - (Someone else recommended to me. I have not been there)
Melting Pot
Savoy (The new place where Yesterdave's used to be on Montgomery... Great wine list)
Gruet Grill on Montgomery

Fun dinners with kids:
Japanese Kitchen
Samurai

Chinese take-out (emphasis on take-out.)
Ho La Mah on Menaul
East Ocean on Carlisle

Italian:
Trattoria Trombino's on Academy
Bravo in ABQ Uptown - New place in trendy shopping area.

Greek:
Mykonos on Eubank
Yani's ( ??? the one on Central in Nob Hill.)

Steaks: (or Lobster or Crab legs)
Paul's Monterrey Inn on Juan Tabo
Cooperage on Lomas (distant 2nd on steaks but excellent salad bar)

Seafood:
Landry's (yes, I know it is a chain but there is no good local seafood restaurant in ABQ)

BBQ:
JR's BarBQ (The place close to the base on Gibson) Best BBQ in town.
Powdrel's - 2nd best BBQ in town
Rudys - 3rd best BBQ in town (Chain from Texas so it has to be good)
County Line - (Another Texas chain so it has to be good.)
Quarters (Connie won't go there but they have decent BBQ and a great package store)

Mexican/New Mexican/Tex Mex (no decent Tex Mex in ABQ)
Gardunos (So sue me... I like it)
El Pinto (Great atmosphere)
Duran's Station and Duran's pharmacy (lunch only in the back of the pharmacy - I am not kidding)
Sadie's (Connie won't let me go there. She says I like their margaritas too much. She is right)
Casa Benivides
Little Anita's
Monroe's
(probably a dozen more. We pretty much like them all.)

Traditional Breakfast
Millie's
Le Peep
Weck's (good for lunch too)

Weird food:
PF Changs
Elephant Bar & Grill
Seasons in Old Town.

Fast Food:
Popeyes (Damn, I love those spicy strips w/red beans and rice)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom