Where is the weak link for the horn? 93 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Having trouble locating the problem with my horn. It was not worrking real well to begin with (some days would, others not). Now I cant get it to work at all. Took off horn cover (inside) cleaned everything with contact cleaner, wire seems to be attached. put everything back together and NOTHING !! But if I put alarm in the horn mods (very annoying) HONK-on...HONK-HONK-off...It works...what the #%^*???

Thanks

Most horns utilize a brass or copper disk behind the steering wheel that a contact rides on. This way the wheel can turn,
The disk corodes.
Pull the wheel, clean the disk and contact and it should work.
Your alarm sugests this as well because the circut is being completed somewhere other that at the wheel.

Did you read through my reply from you other post this week on the same issue?

Thanks TX TLC

I had it taken apart as your pic#1 shows...and cleaned all I could get to. Did NOT know that the ground as the "pillow" screw. Will try tightening it more. That would also mean that at least the outer sleeve would be grounded somewhere so I will also try to trace down.

Thanks again

kevinmrowland said:
Most horns utilize a brass or copper disk behind the steering wheel that a contact rides on. This way the wheel can turn,
The disk corodes.
Pull the wheel, clean the disk and contact and it should work.
Your alarm sugests this as well because the circut is being completed somewhere other that at the wheel.

There is also another contact rod that wears somewhat short over time. Dan the man can get this for you and even tell you how to remove the wheel without smashing yourself in your face while doing so. Sorta wish I woulda called him first for the part and then done the disassembly!!! In his usual voodoo style, while I was holding my mildly hemoraging nose, he told me "ohh yea watch for when the wheel comes loose, or it will cayallup yer cranium" :doh: :D :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom