1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the Voltage Regulator??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I recently replaced the alternator and it recommended replcing the Voltage Regulator. Ordered the right part from SOR for my 77 and I looked all over. Can't find anything that resembles the new one. The OEM Manual shows the picture that looks like what I got, but doesn't show where it is.

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

On yours I believe it is mounted on the PS of the firewall, up above/near the heater valve.

3. Romer

Thanks Bailey, There is nothing there. I was wondering because there are two blank holes that the regulator could bolt to. Could the PO have bypassed it? Would it work that way? Any advise would be appreciated.

4. Romer

OK, I tried tracing the wires down. still need to make sure I got it right. When you mentioned PS Firewall did you mean inside under the Glove Box. I think there are wires going to a similar thing with the sane color code there. It's similar, but not the same thing and the connectors don't mate up. I'll keep looking though.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Ken, it should look like this. It should not be inside the cab.......unless the PO got really creative ;)

[​IMG]

6. Romer

Thanks, It looks exactly like that, the new one.

7. woodsfj40

woodsfj40

Don't go by what the wire connectors look like. Who knows what a PO did as far as creative wiring.

8. burnt03

burnt03

On my '78, it's on the firewall in the engine bay, right below the brake booster/master cylinder.

9. Romer

I looked where you said and found this device. The bolt pattern is about the same, but the wires going into it do not have the right color code. If this is the right place then the PO did someting to it. Maybe the right colored wires are spliced in the harness. I'll take a look at that this weekend.

Is the item with the light shinning on it directly below the brake booster what you are talking about?

Thanks

I hate PO's

10. Romer

Here is one closer, Is that suppose to be there or is that where the volt regulator is suppose to go. Thanks for your help!!!

11. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    BINGO! we got a winner :D

that aint stock, but its the voltage reg, maybe a solid state replacement from? or maybe?

12. Romer

Well now. According to some pages it is an upgrade and I don't need to replace my Voltage Regulator when I replace the Alternator. Now I have another upgrade to post next to the "Original miles' lol. Guess I don't need this brand new Voltage Regulator. I am selling it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=13369;start=0#lastPost

I'll sell it for the $26 it cost me and throw in free shipping.

I don't know whether I should be happy about this or not!

Thanks for all your help

Ken

13. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    So, your new alternator doesn't require an external VR. THAT must be why you wire directly to the Pos post on the Battery. I'm guessing your ammeter won't work any more.

14. woodsfj40

woodsfj40

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13354;start=msg123699#msg123699 date=1079670971]
    Well now. According to some pages it is an upgrade and I don't need to replace my Voltage Regulator when I replace the Alternator. Now I have another upgrade to post next to the "Original miles' lol. Guess I don't need this brand new Voltage Regulator. I am selling it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=13369;start=0#lastPost

I'll sell it for the $26 it cost me and throw in free shipping.

I don't know whether I should be happy about this or not!

Thanks for all your help

Ken
    [/quote]

From the picture, it looks just like the solid state regulator that I have installed in my '68 FJ-40. If that is the case, just leave it alone. I have never cared for the old points style regulators.

15. Romer

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=13354;start=msg123747#msg123747 date=1079674775]
    So, your new alternator doesn't require an external VR. THAT must be why you wire directly to the Pos post on the Battery. I'm guessing your ammeter won't work any more.

[/quote]

Dave- According to the 2F Factory Service Manual, that is the way the Alt is suppose to be wired. Must be a change between the 2F and the F.

Ken

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    OK, so where does the 2F ammeter get wired in? Has to be between the alternator and the battery, somewhere, right?

17. Romer

My ammeter works fine. The ammeter also ties to the B post from the harness. There are a couple of wires tied to the positive lug of the battery, 1 to the Alternator, 1 to the harness. So I would assume that the ammeter is wired in parallel to the batt/Alt connection via the harness.

18. Romer

OK, I thought about it and having the amp meter in parallel doesn't make a lot of sense, it would still work but it would not be acurate and it would probably not allow the regulation to work properly. I relooked at the manual and Dave (Crow) you are right. This is the way the PO had wired it and Ijust put it back. I disconnected the wire from the batt to the alt and everything seems to work fine. I'll drive it for a while and see.

Ken

19. fj40mayo

fj40mayo

The ammeter is connected thru the white wire coming from the alternator. This wire also runs to the ignition AM and on to the fuse box.

20. ROCKETMAN73

ROCKETMAN73

Does anyone know where the voltage regulator is on the 2004 Toyota land cruiser 1hz Diesel 4.2 wagon ?.. it seems to be puting out 19volts and is now frying both batteries ,,, Thank you

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">