where is the viscous coupling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
sorry folks, crawled under a few 100s by now and one 80 but I still can't make anysense of all the stuff under there, I guess it doesn't help that it's only 3" above my nose and all looks the same... and that's before the congratulatory :beer:<G>
Anyway, was curious: I imagine that the trans is right after the engine, but is the viscous coupling first after that or is it the transfer case, or am I all wrong about all of this? Which way does it go? And any nice photo of the things?
thx
E

e9's

The viscous coupling is located inside the transfercase.
It is located at the rear end / back of the transfercase.

Joe

This is a pic of the VC, it is the the tuna can thing under the gear. The top is the front out put shaft. The bottom is rear output shaft. THe middle is the center diff.

Excelent photo Kurt :cheers:

and how is this thing activated? after the switch or relay made contact I mean...
looks mighty small for so much power to transmit...
E

Kurt,

Now that I know you have 3 rifle cases in your garage, I'm never gonna give you crap again ;).................

Nice pic - I've never seen one, either.

IdahoDoug

nice to see a real photo of the thang
thanks
Eric

This is one of my toys :-*

THe VC is locked via friction/heat from one output shaft spinning faster than the other.
THe center diff is locked by a electric motor that slides a "thingy" that locks up the two shafts.

hmmmpfff
not a CAI I hope???
<G>
E

aaargh!
run for your lives....!
<G>

sorry enuf' OT...

E

Pretty serious looking piece. Wanna see nasty? I have a Mossberg 500 12ga Convertible. Factory short barrel, pistol grip, cross drilled full length heat shield. Affectionately known as an "Alley Sweeper" though the true version by this name is either a semi auto or full auto I believe.

IdahoDoug

I wish there was more info about the VC.
When I put the VC in a vice and put the output shaft in it and turned it with a big pipe wrench. I could turn it but there is a lot of resistance. I couldnt turn it fast enough to get it to lock up. I then heated it up with a torch. It locked. I don't have a laser thermometer but it was about the same temp as my t-case was when it locked up.
For those that don't know, my VC would lock up at 70 mph :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom