Where is the difflock control module located (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
winchstoyotaparts.yolasite.com
I found an FJ80 at a local wrecker with dual E-lockers. On my Tacoma, the difflock ECU is located under the driverside kickpanel, but I don't see it on the Lanny. Where is it located?

Also, does it have one control module for both the front and rear locker, or two?

Thanks

What country are you in - FJ80s never came with factory lockers in the US?

An FJ80 with lockers would be a heck of a retrofit to get it together. If you're in the US, that is what you've found and there's no telling where they put the locker control unit.

DougM

According to the EWD on my 96 it is in under the passenger side kick panel.

RH kick panel it is. The center lock control is on the LH side.

IdahoDoug said:
What country are you in - FJ80s never came with factory lockers in the US?

An FJ80 with lockers would be a heck of a retrofit to get it together. If you're in the US, that is what you've found and there's no telling where they put the locker control unit.

DougM

No offense, but i find it slightly annoying when someone forgets the Z when mentioning a 93+ 80 Series and people make a fuss about it!

We all know what he means and that there is like a 1 in a billion chance its a pre 93 with owner retrofitted lockers in a wrecker! Any owner that knows what they are, is sure smart enough to take them out if the rig is going to the wrecker!

Cut the guy some slack!

Well,

Correct is correct and incorrect is, well, incorrect.

By the way, FJ80's were available with difflocks in other markets so Doug's question is valid.

Last edited:
Boston,

No offense taken, but I missed the part where he mentioned it was a 93+ 80. Believe me, if I just wanted to razz him I would have done a much better job - just trying to get the correct info out to him on the first try.

Also, it's one control module for both F/R diffs. Don't forget to cut the connectors off rather than simply removing the connector and scuttling off with the module - way easier to connect in your rig.

DougM

cruiserdan said:
By the way, FJ80's were available with difflocks in other markets so Doug's question is valid.

Ok, point taken and i learned something new.

Thanks

Sorry Doug, my bad

Curious, were those diff locks in pre 93 Electric or Cable?

Thanks

:doh:

:beer: & :popcorn:

Hi Pot....this is Kettle...;)

:flipoff2:

cruiserdan said:
RH kick panel it is. The center lock control is on the LH side.

Thanks for the info, guys, and sorry for the confusion I may have caused with the "Z". I won't forget next time, and I am in Canada. Thanks again

Anyone know where the diff lock ECU would go on a 95 HDJ81? Thanks!

I have this from donor vehicle FZJ80

image.jpg

I want to say the passenger side which means the left side in a hdj81?

But I don’t think this will work with the whole 12v/24v setup... smarter 80 guys can chime in

But I don’t think this will work with the whole 12v/24v setup... smarter 80 guys can chime in
I have added the harness swap with no problem, so I was hoping the connector would be in same spot as my lx450. so far I just dont see it

This is a RHD model, correct? The connector is behind the passenger side kick panel, same side as the antenna, right side of the vehicle when viewing from the front. Can't remember how high up the connector sits, but if the vehicle never had one fitted, it could be taped right up back there. The 4wd ECU sits pretty high up from memory.

This is a RHD model, correct? The connector is behind the passenger side kick panel, same side as the antenna, right side of the vehicle when viewing from the front. Can't remember how high up the connector sits, but if the vehicle never had one fitted, it could be taped right up back there. The 4wd ECU sits pretty high up from memory.
Yes it is RHD. So there is a blank connector with no module on some models? Thanks for info. So I am wondering, when I did the LX450, LHD; I swapped one from donor vehicle with one in the passenger side... was the module in place already suitable for lockers? If so, it would be a nice spare part.

12 volt for everything but the 24v starter.

8E4E29B0-B216-40A6-8B7A-EB11C4E33BF7.jpeg

Found the connector buried under the rest in the hole. Passenger side kick panel on a RHD HDJ81. Hope this helps someone in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom