Where is my voltage regulator? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me '78 fj40, (I know,I know y'all want pics!! If I ever fininsh fixing the PO crap I will). anyways, I noticed that my headlights and dash lights were "pulsing" this morning on my way to work. The am meter was bouncing all over the place, it would even keep time with the turn signals:), so I'm thinking voltage regulator, so I go to napa get the part, pop the hood and no voltage regulator:meh:, there is a porcelin power strip thing on the right fender, is this a form of voltage regulator?

If its a late model 78, you may have an internal regulator. .. 79 they officially started to put the regulators and alternators as one. (according to what I have read),

But, yes, you should have wires coming from the alternator that go straight into a black little box on your firewall. That is the voltage regulator.

Ok I see the little black box, I think that napa sold me the wrong part.:bang:, The one that they gave me is about 25% larger.

No, size doesn't matter (that's not what she said...:doh:) I have an updated voltage regulator on my 40, it's tiny compared with the original electro-mechanical one, since it's all electric. As long as it's not the one for the wagon (FJ55) then you're good. Hook it up EXACTLY as specified, there may be an extra wire coming off of it, DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE GROUND!!!! Very important, learn from my mistake. Fire extinguisher residue is NOT fun to clean up...:eek:

Brian

I searched and could not find a OEM external regulator except for a used one

I have yet to figure out how one would wire the solid state regulators that Napa (and others) sell now as replacement for the mechanical one :meh: (none of the colors match anything, neither does the plug, and there is no diagram to be had of the solid-state innards :rolleyes: that could be compared to the OEM connections). In addition, my wiring set-up was already custom when I got the truck :frown:

so, my next plan is to rebuild a used mechanical external regulator that I acquired from someone.....

stay tuned ;p

Specter, Man A Fre and Marks offroad all sell OEM voltage regulators...

Specter, Man A Fre and Marks offroad all sell OEM voltage regulators...

not NOS, meaning the colors don't match the OEM wiring diagram......

I searched and could not find a OEM external regulator except for a used one

I have yet to figure out how one would wire the solid state regulators that Napa (and others) sell now as replacement for the mechanical one :meh: (none of the colors match anything, neither does the plug, and there is no diagram to be had of the solid-state innards :rolleyes: that could be compared to the OEM connections). In addition, my wiring set-up was already custom when I got the truck :frown:

so, my next plan is to rebuild a used mechanical external regulator that I acquired from someone.....

stay tuned ;p

Try this thread:

SS Voltage Regulator

This VR was plug and play compatable on my 8/78. I'm not using it any more as I installed a mean green 200 amp with internal VR.

CarQuest will have what you need.

Napa vr607 wiring is pretty straight forward...plug is not compatible with my 7240, but easy enough...blue wire is for warning light which is unused in my scenario...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom