Where is my fuel line??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the processing of dropping a 76 2F in my 70 FJ40 to replace my original F145. When taking the F motor out, I unhooked the fuel feed line and didn't think twice about the fact that no fuel return line existed. Now that I am hooking up the 2F, the fuel return line off the carb is lonely. Any experience on this? ideas? I suppose I can hook up a Y connector before the fuel filter and let it just feed back into the hose, but will this screw up my fuel pressure? Should I run a line back to my tank?

I don't think F carbs had a return line back to the tank. Your new 2F carb does. I have a t-connector returning it back before the fuel filter.

I don't know if it affects any fuel pressure, but as soon I can get some funds, I am going to buy a new gas tank for a later model cruiser and run hard lines from the tank to the filter.

Jeremy

I suppose I can hook up a Y connector before the fuel filter and let it just feed back into the hose, but will this screw up my fuel pressure? Should I run a line back to my tank?

I think the fuel pump could cause a suction from the carb, no? That would suck. :rolleyes:

Depends on where the filter is. If it's after the pump or before the pump.

I see what you say here. I would have to connect in to the line before the pump, other wise I pressurize the return line in the wrong direction. My filter is before the pump. line from tank - fuel filter - line to pump - Pump - Line to carb - carb.

I have a t-connector returning it back before the fuel filter.

I don't know if it affects any fuel pressure, but as soon I can get some funds, I am going to buy a new gas tank for a later model cruiser and run hard lines from the tank to the filter.

I think I will try connecting before the filter with a T or Y connection. If it does create a suction from the carb and starves the motor, I will let you know. I wouldn't think it would do any damage in this scenario. Boy I hope not, but it sounds like Jeremy has had some success.

I'm running the original F carb on my 2F...

My F carb needs lots of work whereas the carb on the 2F is already rebuilt. I would rather keep the 2F carb.

I've tried tee-ing the return line into the feed. It doesn't work. When the fuel gets low, the fuel pump will suck on the return fitting, which just pulls air in from the carb air horn. Then it gets into a death spiral of sucking & pumping air to the carb.

The fuel return line can be plugged at the carb, with little ill effect.

A new fuel return line can be routed back to the tank to drop return fuel into the tank through a vent fitting. Works fine, just like stock.

FJ40Jim brings up a really good point about the fuel level.

If you ran out of fuel I think it would recirculate the fuel from the carb, through the filter, through the pump, etc. The fuel will be suspended in a loop in the system. There is not real way to blead the air out of the lines from the fuel tank to the "T" connection.

I did a similar swap, and as Jim has stated, I ran the fuel return back to a vent on the tank...it your system is desmogged as mine was, there are already holes to run a hose right next to the passenger side and to the vent on the top of the tank... no problems, seems to run great.

I don't know about you guys, but man I'm glad for Jim C :D

So my 73' truck has a newer 2F and apparently an older tank with no return port. Interesting thing is the PO sidestepped this problem by running the return line into the fuel seperator which then drains into the tank. Problem is the seperator is just a sort of flimsy piece of plastic that just isn't designed to handle much or any liquid so its only a matter of time before it starts to spew raw gas in the cab (glad I drive a soft top). After JB welding it a few times I decided to check mud and to my surprise figured out it wasn't run right to begin with.

Next step is to run that return line right to the one of the vent lines on the top of the tank and I'm back on the road minus a few brain cells

Thanks for the help Jim:beer:

I run a '74 F carb on a 2F with not a problem. Thanks in large part to Jim Chenoweth.
GL

Ed

I have finished the swap and the final return fuel line location ran from the carburator down by the frame and the up behind the fuel tank and connected with a T to the filler vent hose. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom