Where is everyone (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went out to Eagle Lakes yesterday for the first time in the new 80. Did way better on the trails than my Jeep ZJ did, 33's with more sidewall probably made the biggest differece over my ZJ. Having lockers was nice too. I could have made it without them but it was nice to be able to lock the rear and have no slipping in some of the loose spots on the way out. Only issue I had was the rear mud flaps dragging a little bit but made it just fine to the river at stock height. I'm going to try getting out the lake next time to see if I really need a lift or not. If it makes it I'm just going to do a 1" spacer front and back for looks, maybe 1.5" in the front to get it more level.

It was sad to see how dry it was up in the mountains and almost all the evergreens had parts of branches drying out.

jZiWLyaJ7uiCkuL-hp2maKXda3tH4IzmCaoC9VCDfPbPdkQtofyVpPeBxdAIr7_JxKHZ9RwAPe4OEsCgutA3BqweGYh5-_vQqecxKMUv1w72i-PV9lJvcTIM53ifCPyMz2nm96LrNGjkKYzZVb2FuCYJV82777JXFWBQzyEODNIf_HmSimm-no-Vl_pmROXXSAZuR8XSJ2AqnGKFiM5BXi7xblNPL39kt3yJJVXGbPDfxmuj0VZEYU83oF1leHHOuYnk5eay51Feo6pt-heclCZq_sKzp9fncWCIsjR4ZBTQHPS-vkTsxWj8LnRuDRDvDiG7cQu1OnJhbGKecYJar1KJX2IVxeMhqawy2-cbWGy6A-fFZIeMlgdl9OpXiQbTL14fSjSvpppj6f29Ady9BjtJT9ri-6KHwlw7odl-USdkJ7F_uVKu7zf-UrBdobxT6-wm9xe0DQhe-CSG27BB-RMt1WCjRVoJ37f4UFd6ZRBHEV9ybLwXZT14Jf3ueuZwsdOwZ5IIElhoImNBhQZ9S7VrqeuHWF6tjdXM3_y2QBUX=w1216-h741-no

So I dunno how I've been on Mud for about 6yrs and hadn't found this section yet.....anyways all I'm seeing are some crickets so how about a bump. I've already met a few of you guys over the years, but hope to meet more and maybe get out wheeling every now and again in my 93 Pickup or my 100-series. Maybe finally get out and check out Greenhorn or something simple like that.

If anyone has made friends with some good Toyota mechanics in the area let me know. I recently added ANOTHER Toyota to my fleet - a 1975 Hilux, it runs but could be a lot better with some tinkering. In order to convince the :princess: to let me buy it, I've gotta sell off my SV650 and am not allowed to use up all my time wrenching on it - so I'm looking for a good shop.

So I dunno how I've been on Mud for about 6yrs and hadn't found this section yet.....anyways all I'm seeing are some crickets so how about a bump. I've already met a few of you guys over the years, but hope to meet more and maybe get out wheeling every now and again in my 93 Pickup or my 100-series. Maybe finally get out and check out Greenhorn or something simple like that.

If anyone has made friends with some good Toyota mechanics in the area let me know. I recently added ANOTHER Toyota to my fleet - a 1975 Hilux, it runs but could be a lot better with some tinkering. In order to convince the :princess: to let me buy it, I've gotta sell off my SV650 and am not allowed to use up all my time wrenching on it - so I'm looking for a good shop.

I want to see that Hilux!!! Not many places in Sacramento that i know of but you can try Valley Hybrids in Stockton. I hear good things about them..

Yes, I've heard good things about Valley Hybrids too - but not sure if I want to drive the truck an hour to Stockton when the engine is not running they way I think it should be. The timing was WAY off when I got it and I got it closer to where it needs to be (aftermarket timing cover w/o timing marks) and the Weber carb needs some work too, which is mainly where I'm stuck - I dunno how to tune a carb. I've called up several shops and you'd be surprised how many will turn down business because it's too old and they only know how to work on EFI/OBDII vehicles...or choose to only work on those.

Hilux -
The PO only had the truck for around a year and did quite a bit during that time. I was looking for an all-original truck with a nice patina, but once I saw that the interior was basically all new on this truck with basically a brand new interior, all new glass and rubber on the cab, and paint being in-progress, AND it ran AND it's a pre-smog, I knew I had to have it. I always had a soft spot for the classic quad-headlight Hilux's, now I have one. Even if I only keep it for a short term and sell it, I'm happy. If I keep it for the long-term this baby might see a 1uz or a boosted 2/3rz swap sometime in the future :) Currently I think it just needs someone to tinker with timing and adjusting the carb (or replace some valves inside). It also needs to lose the flowmaster muffler, sounds like a ricer.

0E46DCE4-5084-43BF-8BB4-4405097F8892_zpsyweihnvr.jpg

FBD171C1-E6C9-4A30-9B44-C156D87894BF_zpsx0ffgwyg.jpg

853729DB-B5B3-44CE-AF0A-F6A579EDEFE1_zpsyi0ywaln.jpg

E1B626EB-F2BA-4397-9FF6-0E156C9AFC7D_zpsxewilim9.jpg

Wow!!! That thing is super clean!!!! I've seen you post back in the day when I was on yotatech and had my 93 p/u. I used to be 93yotasr5 on there. But I got into it with some mods and have since made a new account. 80seriesftw. I recently purchased an 87 4Runner so I go on there for tech stuff. I know you know mak924rnr. And he says you live down the way from us.

Haven't had much time to go wheeling or anything really. Been getting the wedding plans made, and now the holidays are coming. Hopefully I can get a snow wheeling trip or two in soon.

Thanks, the truck definitely gets some attention wherever I take it. I remember you over on YT and have seen pics of your white 80 when mike was posting. Haven't seen him around there much after he sold his 2nd gen. I guess we live in the same area, I'm over by Sunrise Mall. I'm definitely down for some snow wheeling this year! Maybe I'll tag along if you guys are planning something.

Good luck with finding time in the future :) I was intent on getting out wheeling a lot after I bought my truck, but then marriage and jobs and all that stuff takes over....then you have a kid....hopefully in the next year now that he is 2, he'll be big enough to take some whiplash on a mild trail in our 100-series. I usually have Friday's off, so maybe we'll start up some friday wheeling trips in the springtime and go check out some of the areas I've wanted to see - I guess there's just tons of back roads and light wheeling all through Placer and El Dorado Counties.

Yeah we're over off of greenback and 80. That will be great when you can bRing the little ones on trips with you.

Man there are tons of places in el dorado forest. I know Mormon immigrant trail has some snow. But a little higher up there are some good trails and I'd image plenty of snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom