Where is '94 Cruiser Serial Number Located (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Costa Rica and I just bought a very clean '94 one-owner Cruiser with about 80K miles. The vehicle is simply in wonderful condition all around; very minor cosmetic stuff only. It has altimeter and second OEM tank and gauge. Can't seem to find the serial number where it's supposed to be according to the web threads I've read. I've looked through the windshield on both sides, and under the hood and on all the door jams. There is a placard on the firewall in the engine compartment, but it's not the serial number placard. It provides:
Model: FZJ80L - GNMNU
Engine; FZ-F 4477 (cc)
Frame: FZJ80 - 0062712
Color: 181 Trim: FD10
Trans/Axle: H151F K292
Plant Built: A11
Can anyone provide guidance here?

The second question has to with the owners manual. I have two manuals, like new, one is in English and one is in Spanish. The vehicle is a 5 speed, carbureted engine, yet the manual makes no reference to a carb'd engine or 5 Speed; it refers only to fuel injection and automatic transmission. The car has cloth seats and they're not power, but everything is extremely clean and well cared for. It has a killer air conditioner. The car was bought new at the Toyota dealer in Costa Rica. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Check the frame rail between the RF spring mount and exhaust. It should be stamped into the frame. However, it seems like you already have that information (FZJ80-062712)

Your serial number could possibly be: JT3DJ81W8R0062712, as this VIN returns with the same information you have stated in your post.

Here in the US, some states will create a new serial number (VIN) in certain circumstances such as a vehicle constructed from multiple vehicles. Not sure how that would work in Costa Rica. Assuming your vehicle registration information doesn't supply that information.

Perhaps the Toyota dealer can provide assistance?

Last edited:
I will check that location as soon as the car gets back from an oil change. Thanks so much. What's really throwing me is that I'm convinced this is a one owner vehicle, and I can't figure out why the owners manual does not reference a five speed, which the car has, but only talks about an automatic, and the fact that the car is carb'd, but the manual refers only to fuel injection. I'm 99% certain this manual, one in Spanish and one in English, is what came with the car. Shouldn't there have been a reference to the 5-speed and the carb'd engine in the manual? I also don't see any reference in the manual about a second tank, nor the second tank fuel gauge and altimeter gauge cluster mounted above the window. They're clearly OEM and appear to have been there from inception. Could this old man have special ordered this thing, not wanting an automatic? I can't understand why he wouldn't have wanted fuel injection though. The car runs great, but my web search for a carburetor, in case I ever need one, or to re-build it, seems pretty high dollar. But, I may have been looking at the wrong info given I was unaware of the serial number. The fact that a 94 could have a 5-speed and a carb is a mystery to me.

Assuming it hasn't been wrecked and the doors replaced...

The placard you found in the engine compartment may be all you have. The sticker we have on the door in the US is a US regulation item. It is quite possible that the Costa Rica destination didn't require it, so it wasn't provided.

From the information given, you have a carbureted FZ engine which I have never heard of. Of course, just becuse I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't exist. The "Plant Build: A11" is odd to me too.

Have you found any markings that say "ARACO"? If not, it is possible this is a model from Venezuela...

A search turned this up...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-with-a-1fz-f.217689/

Looks like someone else was looking for a carb and because it is a rare-ish piece up here they were quoted $800...
I'm guessing you would have better luck down there.

I believe the K292 axle is non-locked, am I correct? I think the E-Lock axle was K294, but I forget.

It's been raining cats and dogs for hours so I can't get outside to check on anything till the rain subsides. But, I do recall seeing an ARACO sticker, I think at the bottom of a door jam. I had no idea what it was. This 94 is a five speed and carbureted, has dual OEM tanks with second gas gauge and altimeter in a cluster, and 16" stock tires. This is my first Cruiser. I have a Jeep back in the States where engaging the four wheel drive simply requires that you use the second shifter. I also have a Sequoia there which just means flipping a dial. My '97 F150, which looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor and is now in my son's garage in Minnesota, also was all electric......................turn a dial and you have 4WD. I confess I don't know much (yet) how the 4WD works on this Cruiser. It all seems to work smoothly, but I'm not sure I'm doing it in the right sequence. I have a button on the dash that seems to lock the rear wheels. You can hear and sense a smooth engagement of the apparatus when you put the Cruiser in neutral and press the button and a 4WD light comes on the dash. I'm assuming this makes both rear wheels work in tandem to get me up the grade I'm trying to navigate. The front wheels have manual hubs and I assume are completely separate operations from the rear, meaning I can leave the rear wheels engaged with the light on the dash still burning, then put the car in neutral, go outside and turn both hubs. I guess I'm assuming the second shifter only applies to the front wheels, correct? And I'm assuming i would put that shifter "too" in neutral before engaging the front hubs. I know there are electronic ways of doing this and it might be worth while investment at some point. However, the real reason for getting this Cruiser was to be able to get up an incredibly steep grade to my house, about a half mile long. To my surprise, the first gear on this Cruisers five speed is low enough that I climbed that hill with incredible ease, at a crawl, which is what I wanted in just normal two-wheel drive. When it was raining like crazy and muddy, I hit the dash switch, which presumably locked the rear wheels, and it once again came up the hill like it was nothing. I did not need to get out and lock the hubs.................and that's good because I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. Sorry about rambling, but this 4WD arrangement is new to me, but I love the simplicity of this Cruiser. I wish it was fuel injected, but then again, maybe I'd have another kind of problem because of the inferior fuel. Thanks in advance for your counsel. I'm glad the impeccably clean interior is cloth because leather tends to mold when it sits for long periods, as it would when we're back in the States for six months, and no motors in the seats are fine with me. It does have electric windows and locks, but no sunroof, again fine and dandy.

Haha. The 4WD works. You don't switch it on, flick a lever, or anything. Just start it up. They are full-time 4WD. Terrible for fuel economy, but who cared about that in the early 90's?
I would suggest reading the FAQ in the sticky section at the top of the 80Series Tech Thread. You have a special case where you're engine is carbureted, not injected. That is ok, I doubt you will have many problems.
I like the sound of the options in your truck. Seems very minimal. Less to go wrong. The carb won't be a problem unless you find yourself in some extremely steep slope(in which case you'll probably tip over before the carb is an issue). I've never driven a manual in an off-road situation, but I can see its advantages. would be nice to lock in a gear and just go. Crawling would be easy too.

Read up and study about your truck. You'll find a lot of useful information here.
Ask questions if you need to, but remember to use the search function for the forum first. it will save time and you'll avoid the smart-ass nature of the others... Welcome to 'Mud!

Good luck with your rig!

Thanks so much for helping me with this, but I am confused. I thought, in what I researched, that the "full time" four wheel drive versions were like 1992-1993, and full time was abandoned in 1994????? And if it's full time, why would I have a button on the dash to lock the wheels, and why would I have hubs that have to be turned at the front wheels? Again, thanks for you patience and insight? It may be a semantics problem on my part, but I'm confused.

All US spec models from 91 to 97 are full time 4WD and automatics, two different engines, three transmissions and two transfer cases. The fact you are in Costa Rica and have a 5-speed with locking hubs you more than likely have something different from a US spec model. I'm guessing that the owners manual is not the original but was obtained from somewhere else. More than likely you have a part time setup. Post some pictures of the dash button, the shift levers and the build plate located in the drivers side door jamb and someone will be able to provide you with more information.

I will definitely do that. Just out of curiosity, my brother in law, also in Costa Rica, recently bought a 94 that had been shipped down from the States. It's in really nice shape with leather, sun roof, automatic, etc. Are you saying his, given it's a State-side unit would b

Sorry, it got a mind of it's own and "sent" before I could finish. Anyway, are you saying his has it's 4WD engaged all the time? And again, as soon as the rain stops coming down in buckets, I'll take some pictures and forward. Thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom