Where have I gone wrong - after assymbly gearbox and trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Imagine my dissapointment after a year and half I finally got to the day where I could drive/move my frame off rebuild FJ45 only to discover that it wont move forward. Could anyone knowing the 4sp transmission please help?

Facts: gears only work in lowrange. All work then and I could move. High range 4wd. Nothing. High 2wd Nothing. It works just as in the engine is shut off. I can manually move the gear lever to any gear even without using the clutch.

History on trans: worked and leaked when I got the car. I took the transfer and transmission appart changed gaskets etc. felt in stand still mode that all engaged etc. Did not to a full teardown left the internals fairly intact.

My gut feel: i guess upon mating the tansfer and transmission I buggered up somewhere. Did this a year back so memory on it not great. The truck stood until today.

It is a 4spd H41 with a levered operated transfercase (thing solid unit) 1978 without the power take off.

Thanks so much for any guidance in advance.

Smells to me like transfer-case only knows neutral and low range???

Exactly... I will probably take it out again but I didnt feel that it was so complex to mate the two that something like this might be up. It 'sounds' as if it does go to highrange so I doubt that the linkage is hooked up incorrecty. Can also see it moves from outside and pulls that one part forward when going to 2wd. Really puzzled but I am not an expert on this.

Disconnect linkage for tcase hi/ low and see if you can get it to engage by moving the lever at the case.

The high speed gear could installed backwards so there are no splines for the coupler collar to engage on and drive the output shaft. Easy to do. That is why it is best to run through all the gears when the transmission and transfer case is on the bench. If you pull the side cover of where the OEM PTO fits you can see the low and high gears on the output shaft. Takes a little head cocking or a mirror to see them. The spline teeth on the two gears should face inward.
Could also be the high low shift lever is not engaged in the high/low shift fork slot. If it was this you probably shouldn't be able to get neutral as the lever would move the fork one way, but not the other.

Thanks jb

I think kiwidog is probably on to something with regard to the shift fork possibly not being properly located. Take a look at that before pulling the whole case apart.

Thanks all. I will start with the lever that the linkage goes into and see if I can move it more to the left before undoing any bolts on the case. In my mind I did check the workings by hand as I kind of remember showing a friend how a tbox works by selecting 2 and then 4wd drive but as said it was over a year ago.

Will post what the issue was hopefully soon.

Had a look. Linkage on incorrect. Switched over to highrange on box and lever to 4x2. Works perfectly. I am extremely relieved thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom