Where does this plug into (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
Where does this vacum port plug into?

TTT

A VTV, and thence to the choke breaker. Not needed unless you are doing a resto or a re-smog.

A 76 carb on a smog-legal US spec 76 2F engine?
It connects to the VSV on the fender well.

Desmogged?
Connects to manifold vacuum.

Desmogged & rebuilt by TLC Performance?
Connects to CB.

Yes 77 2F us spec.
Yes desmogged

Thanks! I connected it to the manifold vacuum.
What is a CB? and what do I do with that at this point?

Choke in the winter would be great.

1470795164207.jpg

Would This be the CB?

I think this is what is being described above?...Pics from my first carb rebuild ('76) and installed to verify it would run on my '77 FJ40.

IMG_1160.JPG

Oh, I'll take for granted that you have the vac advance on your dizzy hook into the egr cut port, as seen below.
IMG_1163.JPG

HTH...

I think this is what is being described above?...Pics from my first carb rebuild ('76) and installed to verify it would run on my '77 FJ40.

View attachment 1304426

Oh, I'll take for granted that you have the vac advance on your dizzy hook into the egr cut port, as seen below.
View attachment 1304427

HTH...
I'm researching ported vacuum, for FJ60 distributor vacuum advance, for upgrading the ignition system in my Federal spec '76 FJ40 (11/75 build date). My carburetor has a port to the front of the idle mixture screw in the same location as shown in your photo immediately above. Where does the vacuum line run that exits the right side of the photo? To the distributor vacuum advance port?

FWIW - I purchased an '86 FJ60 2F to rebuild and install in my desmogged '77 FJ40.

'86 2F Engine
View attachment 1283959
View attachment 1283960
View attachment 1283961

The final product:
View attachment 1283962
View attachment 1283968

There are only two vacuum lines on mine. One from the vacuum advance on my Trollhole Dizzy to the EGR Cut Port on my base of my OEM '77 Aisan carb. The other is from my choke breaker to manifold vacuum.....The vacuum hose spaghetti/smog mess is now residing in Cali.
I think I may have answered my own question. I'm assuming this is the same engine as in the photo above. I've been reading more about the EGR Cut Port as a source of ported vacuum but haven't been able to confirm this would be a good port.

Yes, that is the ported vac fitting on carb base. Connect it to a vacuum advance dissy. Do not connect to a vac retard dissy.
Thanks! I've got two complete kits for installing relatively low-mileage (125K to 175K) FJ60 distributors into my '71 and '76 FJ40s: distributors/coils/igniters/dented side covers/side cover gaskets/distributor covers (optional), plus new parts on order from American Toyota: distributor caps/rotors/dust seals/O-rings. Do I have to worry about venting the distributor caps once I'm done?

Good to know I won't have to modify the throttle body on the '76. The rest of the emissions system is intact and functioning, so I want to keep as much of that as I can. For the distributor vacuum can I tee into the line that runs from the port on the carburetor to the vacuum switching valve?

I know my '71 FJ40 carburetor doesn't have the vacuum advance port, so I'll plan on taking it to one of my local precision machine shops. I've got all of the pertinent information I've gleaned from posts here on MUD. I also have two spare carburetors of the same vintage as my '71. I might as well have all three modified at the same time, maybe I'll get a volume discount :).

Last edited:
Do I have to worry about venting the distributor caps once I'm done?

You don't worry about it, you just do it. Connect the small cap fitting to a barb on the air cleaner lid. Connect large fitting to a disposable fuel filter zip-tied at the top of the firewall.

For the distributor vacuum can I tee into the line that runs from the port on the carburetor to the vacuum switching valve?
Yes, that's the only option.

Thanks again - now that I know I don't need to modify the carburetor I might just have an upgrade in place before the end of the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom