Where does this part go? (Rear diff assembly) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m reinstalling my spider gears assembly after a PO removed it to put in a locker. I’ve pretty much got the install Figured out but I don’t know where this washer goes. Any input? Any other wisdom of experience?

image.jpg

Pinion gear nut washer.

Pinion gear nut washer.
Oh so I have to mess with the pinion gear? I was thinking I just needed to pop the spider gears and side gears back in and I could leave the pinion alone???

Picture does not show extent of disassembly. Too small for side gears and not curved like spider thrust washers should be.
Look at pinion gear nut from drive flange, look for washer. Even if nut needs to be removed to install washer, it should not affect preload or tooth engagement. That is presuming that it's already set and correct.

Even if nut needs to be removed to install washer, it should not affect preload or tooth engagement. That is presuming that it's already set and correct.

it certainly will effect pre-load if it is a crush sleeve shim type rear.

Ref was for external nut for drive flange.

yeah but it shouldn't matter, at all, for a simple locker/spider gear swap

Thanks guys. It looks like it was the washer for the pinion but. I don’t k ow why the guy sent it to me with the spider gears and this was my first diff repair.l so I didn’t have any reference. I put the spider and side gears in and everything went well. A little out of spec but i am ordering new spider washers and side gear washers..in the meantime she didn’t seem to mind a little slop. I’m glad to have those cheesy lockers out and no clicking and clunking On the windy Maine roads. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom