Where does this go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn't know how to change a battery last year :) and now about to finish a rebuild on my front third, knuckles, and hubs. Never came across these in disassembly but these spacers(?) were in my rebuild from Kurt. I am not referring to the conical nut or snap ring. They are too small to fit on the the shafts before the hubs I think. Everything checks out on torque and a tension scale without them. Any ideas?

Besides this, I just need to replace a couple hub face bolts and a cone washer and I'm done.

Thanks for advice in advance.

https://mail-attachment.googleuserc...358827602641&sads=OcFXBCeNXwj5cWbf5yqACFU0MMk

Last edited:
The picture is coming up as a blue square with a "?"

Might be shims or something. I've never serviced my front axle. So I can't tell you for sure. Someone will chime in soon.

trying to figure out this picture thing.
photo(3).JPG

Looks like 2 inner axle seals, a snap ring for the hub, and a bolt for the hub selecter cap.

What I meant to say was...

In the event that you were rebuilding, in part, because gear oil was mixing with your knuckle grease, you'll need to disassemble everything. Those inner axle seals keep the gear oil from the diff and axle housing separate from the grease in the knuckle housing. If the old ones are shot then the new ones need to go in. Those inner seals are literally the deepest-in part to be exchanged in a knuckle rebuild.

well that wasn't the news I wanted to hear. I put seals in the axle. Seated them and everything. Are there two that go in each side? I am seriously refraining from using four letter words on this post right now.

well that wasn't the news I wanted to hear. I put seals in the axle. Seated them and everything. Are there two that go in each side? I am seriously refraining from using four letter words on this post right now.

I'm not in front of my work computer so I can't check, did you buy the upgraded heavy duty inner axle seals as well? The ones you pictures are the stock style, if you put a single seal in each side, your good to go. If you didn't order the HD seals, its possible one of our kits ended up with an extra pair of seals. Either way your should be good to go as long as you remember installing a seal in each side :D

I sent Kurt an email to see if he sent me the stock inner axle seal along with the Marlin Crawler. The one I put in looked a lot like the one I took out with the metal ring(spring) and everything and it fit perfectly. That would be a bummer but I would prefer that than re-doing the entire thing right now. All my used parts were lined up with the new parts so I wouldn't miss anything. Can't believe my oversight here.

...and he's already responded...(cuz he's the s***)

One per side, he may have included the regular ones along with the Marlin ones (which are better)

they go here:

if you did these, and the remaining ones are the OEM ones, then you installed the Marlins and you can take a big breath now.

awesome Kurt,

Wow, what customer service. I'm good to go then. Yes I ordered the Marlins. Now I can dream about wheelin and not re-doing this project.

Thanks guys

Hang onto the stocker's as spares or for a local buddy in need. We could yank them out of the kits but it would cost us more than it would be worth in savings and it's nice to have in case you bugger up a seal on install. Thanks again!

-Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom