Where does my rubber go?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought all the rubber parts for the body of my 1970. Unfortunately The vendor does not include instructions, or even useful part descriptions. I have not found any detailed videos. The rubber parts have be gone for decades, I have no recollection. I can guess, some are obvious, some are a mystery. I spent a large amount of money on this stuff, I want to do it right. The vendor offered no useful advice.

Help!??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Some yes, some no. Some have the label scratched off. This is all aftermarket rubber. The ID numbers present are very cryptic. They are not factory numbers. Some of the stuff, like the rubber between the tub and the side panels does not seem to fit right and apparently needs trimming?? I can go to the vendor site and look up numbers.

I am good at puzzles. I guess I have to figure it out and hope for the best. I guess $2200 worth of re-pop rubber does not buy any service, or even a diagram, these days.

Added later, the above sounds whiny, sorry. I am not a car restoration hobbyist. It is a family vehicle with a lot of history. I am a guy who can do this work and do a good job. I do not look foreword to doing it though. This is a one-of restoration for me.

The market for this stuff is limited. The vendors are few. When someone wants it they have you over a barrel. I guess my frustration is that they made the stuff and the know what it is for. Yet they refuse to share the knowledge. How much trouble could it be to add a half sheet of paper with a little drawing of the intended use? They know what is it for. You pay through the nose for the parts, it seem like the least they can do.

Last edited:
How did you select the parts you ordered? If by their catalog or their website you have to select from a graphic which shows where that part is installed. :meh:

Some yes, some no. Some have the label scratched off. This is all aftermarket rubber. The ID numbers present are very cryptic. They are not factory numbers. Some of the stuff, like the rubber between the tub and the side panels does not seem to fit right and apparently needs trimming?? I can go to the vendor site and look up numbers.

I am good at puzzles. I guess I have to figure it out and hope for the best. I guess $2200 worth of re-pop rubber does not buy any service, or even a diagram, these days.

Added later, the above sounds whiny, sorry. I am not a car restoration hobbyist. It is a family vehicle with a lot of history. I am a guy who can do this work and do a good job. I do not look foreword to doing it though. This is a one-of restoration for me.

The market for this stuff is limited. The vendors are few. When someone wants it they have you over a barrel. I guess my frustration is that they made the stuff and the know what it is for. Yet they refuse to share the knowledge. How much trouble could it be to add a half sheet of paper with a little drawing of the intended use? They know what is it for. You pay through the nose for the parts, it seem like the least they can do.

A statement on “our” vendors — overwhelmingly they very supportive and work with this community to provide knowledge and the parts we need.

Restoring these trucks do require a lot of research on this site and others. As said earlier, buy a star, post pictures and you will get all the help you need to solve your puzzle!

Can be frustrating at times, but the final product is well worth it! Good luck.

^^ This ^^

We love puzzles. Post a pic of the rubber part and where you think it might belong and someone on the site will know exactly.

How did you select the parts you ordered? If by their catalog or their website you have to select from a graphic which shows where that part is installed. :meh:
I told the rep to sell me all the rubber parts needed for the tub and hardtop.

As for the vendor's diagrams, they do not match some of the parts they sold me. The larger rubber that overlaps the tub rim is different that shown. The diagram is pure is an OEM style, which I told him I wanted. The little wedges that go where the tub meets the top near the lift gate were not included. The diagrams themselves have a single digit number that points to each part. That can be clicked on to get the vendor part. The vendor part number is their own unique number. No picture is associated with most parts. The pictures that are present are not printable from the browser. They must be clipped or saved and printed in a separate viewer. Searching the website for parts is arduous. All in all the website is very poorly done.

This is going to take a while. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Did you buy it all from SOR or CCOT?

Either way, post pics here and someone will have the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom